Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 6:05:43 AM EDT
I've been using a Surefire rail sytem on my m4 for about a year now.  It hasn't been the best solution for my rifle, since I always end up having to re-tighten it two or three times every range visit.  I'm using an m4 type AR with a 14.5 inch barrel w/ perm. attached flash suppressor, so this limits me to what kind of rail to use, and I don't want to go and cut off my delta ring to accomidate certain free-float systems.  I'm thinking of a non-free float rail.  I've always wanted a RAS, but before I park 300 bucks on one, I was wondering if any of you guys out there knew of a good non free-float system out there.  I don't want a piece of crap system, but I don't want to waste the money if there's something just as good out there.  Thanks for the input.

Also, where's the best place to find a RAS?

Best,

Dan
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:26:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:30:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
... since I always end up having to re-tighten it two or three times every range visit.  ....

Dan,
Have you tried some LocTite on the screws?  

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:34:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Man, sorry to hear about your M73.  I love mine.  Out of curiousity, have you tried Loctiting the two set screws that secure the system?  I did this on mine with Loctite 243 and it hasn't moved since.

I also want to let you know I switched from an RAS to the M73 because the lower portion of the RAS is secured using only the delta ring.  Long story short, it wobbles a bit with a vertical grip.

I haven't been able to find another non-FF system that locks up as tightly as the M73 unless you want to spend big money and buy the RAS and the upgraded SAS lower rail unit.  Apparently the SAS asked KAC to eliminate the wobble and they responded with an upgraded lower unit that secures using a latch system around the barrel nut.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:36:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an M4 RAS (KAC) and I use a VFG exclusively...I have experience zero wobble.  Even after plenty of shooting.   I don't baby my gear either.  My carbine is dropped, tossed, bumped, banged, smashed, rubbed and everything else that can happen short of abuse.

ETA-Have used both the MI carbine and Middy  non-FF systems.  They are great for the money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top