Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 8:47:10 PM EDT
I have been reading the forums quite a lot and have noticed that no one ever recommends DPMS rifles. Everyone always says RRA, Bushmaster, Stag, etc... Is there something about them that I should know about because I intend to buy one as my first rifle in about a week.

Thanks,

Joshua
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not hesitate to buy another one...
And I don't know why few people openly recommend them.
Check this thread...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=268184
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the link, interesting reading. At my local shop I can get the dpms AP4 for $761 and the RRA entry tactical for around $870. A 100 bucks is ammo, a sling and some mags... if they are on par with everyone else then I'd rather have the other stuff in addition to my "shiny" new rifle.

Joshua
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#3]
If they used in spec parts there would be more love.  

They do make a good .22lr kit though and the customer service is good.  

The thread doesn't seem to have much good info.  
I bought a few bags of parts in quantity that I had to ship back.  They were stock nuts and pins and latch plates.  I wasn't nit picking on specs the parts don't even resemble the parts I wanted to order.  The stock latch pin nuts don't have a through hole for a roll pin (even though I was shipped a bag of roll pins).  

That was a scary experience and really made me wonder about DPMS.  They sell in and out of spec parts so you don't know what you are going to get that's why I am hesitant to order from them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:53:07 AM EDT
[#4]
i have some spare parts from dpms and hope to never have to use them.

i have a few of their stripped lowers and those are great fit and finish
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:05:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I have two DPMS barrels, a LW 16” and an M4 16”. Both are of very good quality.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:42:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a DPMS upper that isn't in spec also (the throwlever mounts have to be ajusted to see use on it).  

The barrels from what I understand are good as a lot of customers have good accuracy results with their guns.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:14:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a DPMS M4 built with all DPMS parts.  I've had zero problems with it.  The lower has great fit/finish and its a low shelf.  YMMV.

TS
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I built my m4 clone out of dpms parts, fit and finish are very nice, function has been 100% w/ the 500 rnds or so ive ran thru her.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I havent noticed much DPMS bashing...

I see more in favor of then against.

Count me in for another in favor of.

I love my DPMS, I cant say enough good things about my 24"

Here is the proof at 300 yrds with surplus ammo.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I've noticed that most of the problems people have reported dealt with dpms parts. What I have not seen however is someone who has had major problems with a complete rifle from dpms. Can anyone give me any personal experiences with sub par DPMS rifles? That would change things dramatically.

Joshua
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#12]
"Can anyone give me any personal experiences with sub par DPMS rifles? That would change things dramatically."

I don't think your going to see it, because when people think of a good rifle generally they aren't thinking "Man that latch plate isn't right or why isn't there a roll pin in the stock pin nut."  

The DPMS rifles are built around good barrels and they shoot well and that's the way people see them. IMO.    How many users end up using throwlever rings to find out the upper isn't in spec?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:53:56 PM EDT
[#13]
My DPMS was a pile of shit.  It never ran right, and then it broke in spectacular fashion... if all you want is small groups, help yourself.  The true test of a rifle is a lot of rounds in a hurry.  That will break a lot of otherwise reliable guns.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#14]
NO
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#15]
So some of you are saying that the rails on the AP4 may not be in spec and that I may not be able to get throw levers to work on it? Okay, now I'm completely split... I would be more inclined to get the RRA Entry Tactical if the tactical carry handle actually served a purpose. The fact that a EOtech won't mount and co-witness there really pisses me off. I might just see if my local store has a bushmaster in the A3 style.

Thanks for all the help,

Joshua
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:14:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I have not heard that before about lots of rounds say SHTF but no issues here with LOTS of rounds all at once even with the cheap surplus ammo.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have not heard that before about lots of rounds say SHTF but no issues here with LOTS of rounds all at once even with the cheap surplus ammo.

Tolerances are important when the guns start to get hot, sometimes they don't start locking up till your third mag of failure drills.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Figured I would give a update. I got my AR today. I walked into the shop set on getting a DPMS but changed my mind. I took a closer look at the DPMS just to make sure it was manufactured well and noticed a few disturbing things. The close range rear sight was not completely round. It had a extra bit of metal on the inside that obscured part of the sight picture. That freaked me out along with the trigger pin being all bent to hell. I also didn't like the look of the coating on the bolt. I ended up with a RRA entry tactical and am very pleased with it.

Thanks for the help all, I really appreciate it,

Joshua
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#19]
That rear sight is an example of a cheap imported part.  

That's the kind of corner cutting I was talking about.  The gun is the sum of it's parts.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:32:27 PM EDT
[#20]
recently i emailed dpms because im about to get an ar and i was interested in a few of their peices.  I asked about their low prices and if they import parts or what the deal was.  He said "no imported parts, just a great product at a great price"  i dont know about that.  after this talk, f it, im going with bush or rock
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:49:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
That rear sight is an example of a cheap imported part.  

That's the kind of corner cutting I was talking about.  The gun is the sum of it's parts.

My Leapers rear sight is round and clean. However, the DPMS rear sight has a smaller hole for the long range aperture. I did not see any metal burrs. HOWEVER, my DPMS rear sight base only goes to "5" with the IBZ. It's a DPMS Detach Carry Handle I bought from Brownells. Apparently Bushmasters can go to "6/3" all the way around. I'm not sure if DPMS designed it this way, or if its standard for commercial spec DCHs. Bushmaster may very well use the 0.040" taller rear DCH, aka mil-spec like Colt, which puts the entire rear sight base about 0.040" taller than normal. That should allow enough room for the rear sight base to have a longer threaded base, and subsequently, enough room to spin back to 6/3.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:20:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a DPMS stripped lower receiver coming in late this week or early next week. It's 7075-T6 forger receiver. It will be interesting to see how the quality compares to a RRA receiver I have. I will see if I can find the forge markings, I'm kinda hoping it's made by some reputable company.

I have had a hammer pin bent noticeably at the middle where the J-pin groove is and a trigger pin break in half at the center groove, both were DPMS. I have two LPK's right now, the other is RRA and the other DPMS. The new lower will get the RRA parts, DPMS will be kept for spares.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:56:18 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a DPMS LPK and I can't really tell the difference from the RRA LPK. The hammer does not have the notch but it seems to cycle just fine. Everything appears to function/fit properly. I saved over $20 by going with a DPMS LPK instead of the regulars. Prices jumped a lot since my last AR build. The quality doesn't seem to have improved across the board though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:58:43 AM EDT
[#24]
I just built a complete DPMS 24" varmint rifle from a stripped receiver, and assembled upper.  Fit form and function of every part was excellent.  Will use them again, I have seen BM rifles that fit and appearance looked much worse on.  Only have about 100 rnds thru it, but very happy so far.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:12:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I just built a complete DPMS 24" varmint rifle from a stripped receiver, and assembled upper.  Fit form and function of every part was excellent.  Will use them again, I have seen BM rifles that fit and appearance looked much worse on.  Only have about 100 rnds thru it, but very happy so far.

+1 DPMS LPKs use aluminum trigger guards.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#26]
I usually stick with Stag/CMT or LMT for my LPKs.  Yesterday we had to order some parts in a hurry for a rushed build for my buddy and the only option was DPMS.  I'm hoping that things turn out alright.  I realize that the parts can be switched out if there's a failure, but if there is, that'll look bad on me for building with shitty parts.  Hopefully I am just worrying for nothing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top