Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 4:41:44 PM EDT
Has anyone put one together using a 16" varmint barrel?  Would greatly appreciate a picture.  Advantages? Disadvantages?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Tactical Varminter

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll throw you a bone on this one I guess.  Do a search for the term "recce" or check out the MSTN forum in the industry forum.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, me want.  so sexy.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone knows how they shoot?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
What is a tactical varminter? For shooting armed prarie combat dogs?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'll throw you a bone on this one I guess.  Do a search for the term "recce" or check out the MSTN forum in the industry forum.

Let me take a minute at this point to say how utterly annoyed I am at all the go fast sounding names and marketing BULLSHIT people are giving to what is nothing more then an AR15.
Not your fault I know I know.....

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me take a minute at this point to say how utterly annoyed I am at all the go fast sounding names and marketing BULLSHIT people are giving to what is nothing more then an AR15.

What the hell does that mean? MSTN did not name the concept of a 16" precision carbine. That honor went to NSW and I think they deserve that right.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Reeds (http://www.reedsammo.com/) has some very intresting rounds for the 223.
For example 30-35gr Berger @ 3900fps. It would require a 14 or 15:1 barrel though.
This would make a nice Varminter.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hummm, you must have missed that day of SpecOps school?

RECCE (rhymes with becky) is how our Brit friends shortened reconnaissance, we say "recon the area", they say "recce the area."

The term was used formally to designate the Reconnaissance Commando units of the SADF, based on the SAS -- they are pretty well known and respected. The name was given to the rifle built by NSW Crane for "recon" patrols, to pay homage... and it sounds cool
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I have never seen a 16" varmitter. Bushmaster is now making a 20" varmitter called the predator.

If you want a 16" precision upper, try MSTN, as others have said. Or one of the other vendors on the boards.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#11]
i have a 16" dpms bull.  still working on it so no pics yet.  i thing the recce configuration is the best yet.  best shooting and easily carried.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Bushmaster is now making a 20" varmitter called the predator

I,ll have to check there web page for this one-
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What is a tactical varminter? For shooting armed prarie combat dogs?

The preferred weapon for fighting the battle hardened varmint cong
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I just received a 20 inch PacNor from JTAC a  VARTAC fluted under the handguards and in front of the
gas block.  Nice barrel and JTAC is an excellent vender.  If you are set on 16 inch he sells Krieger
barrels also.  Probably my next barrel.  

http://jtacsupply.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:55:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

RECCE (rhymes with becky) is how our Brit friends shortened reconnaissance, we say "recon the area", they say "recce the area."

The term was used formally to designate the Reconnaissance Commando units of the SADF, based on the SAS -- they are pretty well known and respected. The name was given to the rifle built by NSW Crane for "recon" patrols, to pay homage... and it sounds cool

Yes, and at the end of the day it would be like calling a blue Taurus a Taurus, a red Taurus a Sunbolt, a black Taurus a Tornado....

ITS THE SAME THING.

I think its marketing at its finest though. It really is. And it sells guns so I certainly wont critizie it, but I do find it endlessly comical.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, and at the end of the day it would be like calling a blue Taurus a Taurus, a red Taurus a Sunbolt, a black Taurus a Tornado....

ITS THE SAME THING.

I think its marketing at its finest though. It really is. And it sells guns so I certainly wont critizie it, but I do find it endlessly comical.

Well, I do see your point, but disagree on your example... the RECCE is a military design with specifications that are peculiar to the RECCE -- granted, the specs are not really *thorough* and most people that offer a RECCE has never really seen the specifications, but it is a perculiar design and named as such. In your example, it would be like calling a camero a camero, and a cavalier a camaro, and an impala a camero, and a chevetter a camaro... they are all cars, all made by chevy, but do have different designs that make them clearly different from the others.

Now where we do agree is the silly marketing where a dealer changes the front sight on an M4 and dubs it "The Terminator", then changes the pistol grip and calls it "The Preditor", then makes all the furniture green and calls it "The Alian" -- that, I agree is goofey...

So, pick on Noveske and Denny's Guns... but in the case of the RECCE, I think you are missing the point... no?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:02:03 AM EDT
[#17]
tactical varminter? You make jokes ... but for years we have been killing them and in recent months they have begun to fight back !

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
tactical varminter? You make jokes ... but for years we have been killing them and in recent months they have begun to fight back !

i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/theinvisiblesoul/BeaverWars.jpg

Invisiblesoul

Three gun targets don`t shoot back either and we have to go tactical on them.  Whats the difference?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:56:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Invisiblesoul

NO KIDDING!  Those things are everywhere! They're fairly well armed too...

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Invisiblesoul

azhumor.wz.cz/Zabava/slides/MilitaryChipmunk2.jpg

Hes not tactical no Trijcon or Nightforce he is an imposter...............
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Invisiblesoul

azhumor.wz.cz/Zabava/slides/MilitaryChipmunk2.jpg

Hes not tactical no Trijcon or Nightforce he is an imposter...............

Nah, he's got a belt-fed, that's pretty tactical!

I get too wound up about this whole "tactical" thing... but I do have a pretty funny story from SHOT a year or two ago. I was walking around and some vendor sees me looking at at a remmy on his table and starts talking to me (he does not know who I am and I am not wearing anything that says), it went sort of like this:

he says
"You like that... that's our Tactical Sniper Rifle"
... "well of course it is"
"How's that?"
... "you built it for military use in combat right?"
"Yep" (with big smile)
..."well all equipment for that purpose is tactical equipment"
"Really?"
..."yes, in fact I have a tactical camelback and technically I am wearing tactical underwear"
"Is that right..."
..."sure, you want to see?"
"Did you have any questions about the rifle.."
..."well, actually, as the role of a sniper is often strategic, do you make another rifle for that?"
"Have a nice day..."
..."perhaps with a different name... the Strategic Sniper Rifle?"
"Can I show you something there sir" (looking at the man behind me)

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Jeepers! you have tactical underwear?

Just when I think I bought everything with the words, "Offical Navy Seals" printed on it, you come around and tell me that you have tactical underwear.

Now I will be collecting everything that is "Tactical"!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:11:37 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Jeepers! you have tactical underwear?

Just when I think I bought everything with the words, "Offical Navy Seals" printed on it, you come around and tell me that you have tactical underwear.

Now I will be collecting everything that is "Tactical"!

You shall rue the day that you dissed my drawers pajaro loco!

Be gone then... commence rueing...

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:15:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#28]
As to the original post... now that we have had our fun, 16" guns can be a lot of fun and quite accurate -- check out ADCO, Steve has built a lot of guns and knows how to make them shoot, you by all means want a midlength gas system... and you probably wont need a rebar cutter, unless the Varmint Cong are really dug in.

Take a look at some of the stuff available
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
We have done a small run of these and have had great luck with them.

cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/images/409.jpg

These are a 16" SST with a threaded muzzle and 5.56mm chamber.

Ok guys, stupid question, why would anyone need a rebar cutter of a Varmint rifle?

I guess it would be OK if you call it the Tactical Rebar Cutter.

wp
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Ok guys, stupid question, why would anyone need a rebar cutter of a Varmint rifle?

wp

Because tactical underware are hard to get into without a rebar cutter.

I have heard from people "in the know" that Gunzilla uses the Mod2 T-Handle tactical underware.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wp

Because tactical underware are hard to get into without a rebar cutter.

I have heard from people "in the know" that Gunzilla uses the Mod2 T-HandleBack tactical underware.

Fixed it for ya...

sorry for the visual, please send the receipts for the theropy sessions to me
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Well, I hadn’t had a chance to check replies but I am quiet surprised as to the hype it generated and the type of responses I have been getting.  I thank those of you who responded with your experience with this configuration or pictures of similar ARs.

Now, I respect those of you who have dedicated you carrier and life to our military and put your life on the line for the defense of our country when it is needed.  You depend on these weapons daily and want the optimum configuration for your application, as any skilled professional depends on their tools and have their preferences.  With the difference that you will pay a higher price in case of malfunction.  But it is a choice.  Lets not blow this out of proportion.  Take the question for what it is!

For the rest of us that are not in military or are not armchair commandos, guns are hobbies and ARs are just another gun.  We experiment and accessorize them as you would a sport car to match needs or preferences.  In addition we call them what we wish. If you don’t like the term “Tactical Varmint” Don’t use it, but be professional enough not to respect others opinion.

Hobbyist.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Well, I hadn’t had a chance to check replies but I am quiet surprised as to the hype it generated and the type of responses I have been getting.  I thank those of you who responded with your experience with this configuration or pictures of similar ARs.

Now, I respect those of you who have dedicated you carrier and life to our military and put your life on the line for the defense of our country when it is needed.  You depend on these weapons daily and want the optimum configuration for your application, as any skilled professional depends on their tools and have their preferences.  With the difference that you will pay a higher price in case of malfunction.  But it is a choice.  Lets not blow this out of proportion.  Take the question for what it is!

For the rest of us that are not in military or are not armchair commandos, guns are hobbies and ARs are just another gun.  We experiment and accessorize them as you would a sport car to match needs or preferences.  In addition we call them what we wish. If you don’t like the term “Tactical Varmint” Don’t use it, but be professional enough not to respect others opinion.

Hobbyist.

I thought I was

Like I said, just having some fun... if I can have tactical t-backs, you can have a tactical varminter, its all good -- seriously, hit up Steve at ADCO, but be forewarned, he has a pretty good sense of humor as well!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone who has varmit hunted finds the rebar cutter handy getting thru barbed wire.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyone who has varmit hunted finds the rebar cutter handy getting thru barbed wire.

Makes tresspassing much easier(don't have to climb near as many fences)

No not trespassing, its Tactical Trespassing get it right...........................
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Growing up on a ranch, I can tell you that people that cut fence cost the rancher thousands of dollars in lost stock, time fixing the fence and that time being lost elsewhere -- I suppose you wonder why you have to *tresspass* to hunt on private land?

Some people's kids...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:56:06 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Growing up on a ranch, I can tell you that people that cut fence cost the rancher thousands of dollars in lost stock, time fixing the fence and that time being lost elsewhere -- I suppose you wonder why you have to *tresspass* to hunt on private land?

Some people's kids...

Of all the people to take a joke seriously I cannot believe it was you.  Come on, with a name like Gunzilla.  I have read your posts and I know you enjoy a joke.

example:http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/1467/ifiygd3zx.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top