Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 8:41:20 PM EDT
At first glance this might not seem appropriate for AR15.com, but I figured you guys would have the most knowledge on AR stocks, even though it's not for an AR.  So even though it's for a shotgun, I believe it relevant to AR15.com because it's concerning an AR accessory.

I have an FN Tactical Police Shotgun that came with the old-style 4 position AR stock.  Not the best for handling recoil.  And I can't find any decent buttpads for it.

Which AR stock would you think would mitigate the most recoil?  I'm thinking the larger the footprint, the better.

The Knoxx SpecOps will not work, because the picatinny rail, grip and AR stock assembly are one piece, and I'd have to remove all that to use the SpecOps, which I don't want to do.

Also, if anyone knows of a soft cushy recoil pad for my AR stock, let me know.

Thanks for your input.

http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/saintelvis/shot1.jpg
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally I wouldnt run an Ar stock on a shotgun but thats just me.  IF I had to though, I'd probably opt for one of the shorter length fixed stocks and through on one of those "Limbsaver" recoil pads.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#2]
i love the AR, it's aesthetics and function.

unfortunately, i can't stand an AR stock on anything but an ar.  it REQUIRES a buffer tube, nothing else does.  telescoping stocks, IMHO defeat the purpose of a folding stock on any other weapon.  why bother?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Umm, thanks guys...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#4]
ARFCOM at its finest

I can't stand an AR stock on a shotgun either, but I wanted to tag this for the hilarious responses you'll get.  I love it when people ask one question and get an answer to a different one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the gen-2 M4 stock on my 870 it works great for room clearing but the ridge at the end of the stock (closest to the reciever) bites in to my cheek when shooting. i would go with a magpul,vltor or something along those lines. i did place a peice of fuzzy velcro over the area and it solved the problem.

what type of shotgun is that w/the magazine in it????
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:36:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#7]
None.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Supposed to be an optional recoil reducer coming out with the UBR stock.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:47:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a M4 type with a CAA cheek adapter on my 870.....I like it and the cheek adapter gives a nice weld for the Aimpoint I use for matches.

oh and plus 1 for the SOG recoil pad as well
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:22:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Is this a troll account?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:00:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
unfortunately, i can't stand an AR stock on anything but an ar.

Well, I suppose it's unfortunate for you but the fact that you "can't stand an AR stock on anything but an AR" means absolutely nothing to anyone but you.

it REQUIRES a buffer tube, nothing else does.  telescoping stocks, IMHO defeat the purpose of a folding stock on any other weapon.  why bother?
Collapsible stocks and folding stocks are 2 different things. It's apples to oranges. Collapsible stocks tend to be more sturdy and more comfortable then most folding stocks and if one shoots ARs, using the same stock on a shotgun keeps things consistent (cheekweld and stock manipulation).
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:00:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Personally I wouldnt run an Ar stock on a shotgun but thats just me.

Why? Please elaborate.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:05:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the exact same shotgun and had a Magpul M93 installed on it before I even received it. That being said, I have to wear a jacket or my Blackhawk vest when wearing just a t-shirt (the vest has padding on the right front shoulder/pec area). I was waiting for a stock pad but since the M93 has been discontinued, that ain't gonna happen.

That being said, the new Magpul stock, the UBR, was designed for larger caliber rifles (than 5.56mm) and shotguns. It has an integral buttpad (or at least the renderings do). I plan on replacing my M93 with a UBr once they're available. Also, because of the UBR's (and the M93's for that matter) design, your cheek will always be resting on the receiver extension -unless- you put your cheek way back on the end of the stock.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:47:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Collapsible stocks and folding stocks are 2 different things. It's apples to oranges. Collapsible stocks tend to be more sturdy and more comfortable then most folding stocks and if one shoots ARs, using the same stock on a shotgun keeps things consistent (cheekweld and stock manipulation).

+1 not to mention telestocks allow you to fit the stock to the person.  I find all shotgun stocks to be way too long and I plan on putting a telestock on my shotgun.

Now back to the question:
Bushmaster has a rubber recoil pad that will fit on your stock (www.bushmaster.com/shopping/buttstocks/2698827.asp)

The other option would be to buy a Cav-Arms M4 type stock (the slider part) which has a larger buttplate than the old style 'CAR' stock that you have.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:59:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 not to mention telestocks allow you to fit the stock to the person.  I find all shotgun stocks to be way too long and I plan on putting a telestock on my shotgun.

Doh! How could I forget that?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:00:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Ace SOCOM works great, even with Hornady TAP 00 buckshot. Padded buffer tube means nothing cuts into your face when the shotgun recoils.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Wow vmpglenn, that's a nice set up.  I didn't even know Surefire made a fore end for the Winchester 1300!

Sounds like the Socom or UBR will be the way to go.  Thank you for everyones thoughtful replies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top