Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 5:50:03 PM EDT
I am looking for a Free float tube for a Varment Rifle. PD's to be exact. So the Barrel will get very hot and it's going to need cooling. What would be the best tubes out there for this purpose. I really haven't seen many in person so don't really know. I looked and YHM, Clark, and a DPMS. The DPMS I don't think comes in black. I would like to stay with black. But, Don't really have to.  Thanks for all your help in advance.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#1]
dpms tubes are black.  the only time my tubes got too hot was from midday sun and 100'F temps.  if your that worried about heat, spend the extra $ and get a vented/railed tube with covers.  or a $30 pair of nomex gloves works too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:57:07 AM EDT
[#2]
No I wasn't worried about the tube getting hot. I want to get as much cooling to the barrel. When Hunting PD's most of the time the Barrels get way to hot. Cooling is an essential part of the hunt. 95 to 100 degrees plus 500 to 1000 rounds of ammo equals very very hot day.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd use the PRI carbon fiber tube.  Has vent holes, and rails for if you want a bipod or any other cool widgets.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]
i have heard of people having issues with vent holes on top and scope use, mirage from the heat from the barrel.  but i would think the scope would be focused so far out itd see through the mirage.  ever had that problem?  
a long bull barrel and any standard ff tube with vents would probably be fine.  thats what most of the manufacturers put on their varmint rifles.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I have seen of the mirage affect. But, usually it's out at the target not over the barrel. On the real hot days it can get very strange looking into a scope on the prairie....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top