Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 5:34:45 PM EDT
I have a Model 1 Sales 7.62 x 39 upper for my AR rifle.  I haven't shot it yet but have come acrossed an interesting situation concerning the caliber.  I didn't know that Ruger's Mini Ranch Rifle which is made in the 7.62 caliber but with a .308 bullet diameter.  I am assuming that uppers for the AR rifles are made for the .311 bullet diameter.  That is the reason I bought the upper in the first place.  I would like to shoot surplus ammunition in it.  I called Model 1 and they said I could use either bullet diameter.   I was wondering what bullet diameter other AR upper manufacturers are suggesting.

Thanks for all answers in advance.

Terry
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I shoot Wolf in my mini-30.

I don't think you will have a problem.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Mini 14's have a long tapered leade so the bullet is swaged down to fit the .308 bore. M1S might use the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:36:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Usually the "thicker" bullets in 7.62x39 are only .309-.310. I haven't heard anyone actually ever found any that had .311 bullets. Only true .311-312 bullets I've found are meant for .303 British.
I've measured some Wolf bullets myself and they were .309-.3095. Probably to make sure they won't cause dangerous overpressure in .308 bores. So generally this shouldn't be an issue, a couple of thousands thicker won't be hazardous unless the load is dangerous to start with and x39 is not a high pressure cartridge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top