Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 10:51:11 AM EDT
Last Spring, some friends and I ordered 9 consecutively numbered Stag lowers, all in the 900s.  I took 4 of them home, the other 5 going home with the other guys.  We built all my buddies' rifles, and had absolutely no trouble at all, and they have all worked great ever since.  

Recently it became time for me to start building one of my lowers from the batch.  I planned to use an M93 on the lower.  The receiver extension would not thread on, and I assumed I had damaged the threads on the stock while it was off other ARs.  I ordered a new receiver extension this past week from Magpul and tried to install it this weekend.  Well I figured all will be good-WRONG.  I thought, "WTF is going on?!" and went and grabbed the closest AR (an Armalite) and took the rifle receiver extension off.  It did not fit on the Stag lower, but the M93 tube DID fit the Armalite lower.  Now that I realize that the receiver itself is the problem, I grab the rest of my Stag lowers and try the M93 tubes with no success.  

How in the hell did I get 4 lowers out of a series of 9 that are fucked up, yet all the other lowers in the series were great?  Am I up shit creek without a paddle, or do you think Stag/CMT will take care of me?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Call them, send them an email, which ever is convenient.
Explain the situation and what you are trying to do.
I'm sure they would take care of you if it's some sort of mfg defect.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Call them, send them an email, which ever is convenient.
Explain the situation and what you are trying to do.
I'm sure they would take care of you if it's some sort of mfg defect.

I'm at work right now, so I sent them an email.  I gather since it's a Sunday, it won't be read until later, but hopefully it will lead to a resolution.

I hate that this happened, because I LOVE CMT/Stag...even with the terrible logo.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It is a pretty simple fix. You just have to run a tap along the inside threads of the receiver. Last one we did didn't even look like it broke through the annodizing but it worked fine afterwards. Also had the same issues with the FAB lowers with the same solution.

It seems to be the tips of the threads that are the issue. We can even do the fix for your here if needed.

I really appreciate the offer Rich.  I've contacted Stag to let them know about the problem.  If they aren't willing to help me out, I'll send my lowers to you.  It would be awesome if the two new stocks were out and I could just have them come back with new furniture and a fatter check your way.

I cannot wait for both of those stocks to be released.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I too had a little issue with the threds on my Stag. I had to allign the threds just right and push the tube in hard while I twisting. After the first turn everything went in just right. It just seemed like the finish was getting in the way a little.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#6]
The people at Stag are #1, they will take care of you.  

Weazer
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It is a pretty simple fix. You just have to run a tap along the inside threads of the receiver. Last one we did didn't even look like it broke through the annodizing but it worked fine afterwards. Also had the same issues with the FAB lowers with the same solution.

It seems to be the tips of the threads that are the issue. We can even do the fix for your here if needed.

Rich, I really appreciate your williningness to help me through this.  The only concern I have with this is that I worry about the annodizing.  My knowledge of metalurgy is not very extensive, so I worry about weakening the lower at what I would think to be a critical area.  How many of this operation have you conducted, and have you ever experience any problems as a result.  Coming from you and your company I can only assume that you would not offer this service if you were worried about problems arising, but I'm just making sure, to make myself feel better.

Thanks Rich for continuing to be at the forefront of customer service and product development.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The Anno on ALU parts is mainly for corrosion protection and has little or nothing to do with the strength of a part.

We have only done a few of these mods but none have had any issues thus far. I think the tap only clears out build up around the valleys of the threads so very little anno is removed.

Sounds great; I'm awaiting word from Stag, but I'll probably just end up sending them to you, unless Stag does like Oly and replaces the lowers using the same serial number.  When you get around to it, would you mind sending me a PM or something to indicate how much this will cost if I end up sending them to you?  Thanks very much.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Just picked up my Stag-15 lower (Kalifornia No-list receiver).  I'm not impressed by the finish of the receiver, but I'll S.I.T.F.U for now.  It's got a few cosmetic blemishes here and there.  Oh well...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The people at Stag are #1, they will take care of you.  

Weazer

+1

Maybe you should edit the name of this post until you have actually spoken with them
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#12]
As an FYI, I have issues with a new Stag lower. My issues are finish/cosmetic related. I contacted Stag and they will take it back and regen a new lower with the same serial #.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 3 consecutavely numbered lowers (much lower than 900), the fit and finish of all three are perfect.  Just my experience.  I though I'd include it since very little positive has been said of Stag.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:47:59 AM EDT
[#14]
My past experience has been extremely positive with the company.  I probably should edit the post, because I am not actually pissed at the company, simply the situation, which I'm fairly certain would piss off most people to a high degree.  In all other areas, the lowers are perfect, and the finish is great on them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top