Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 3:11:23 PM EDT
Last year I started building MY perfect General Purpose Ar-15  almost went with the MRP upper but then figured out I could build what I wanted for much less, ability to change barrel not that important.  Anyways alot of  crap happened and my Ar was never completed  This year I will complete my AR  the next thing I will change is the Barrel.  Let me give a little back ground on the rifle first.  Bushmaster Lower, Tango Down battle grip(to be replaced with magpul, Olympic Arms Collapsible stock(to be replaced with Magpul) WOA A3 upper, RRA bc/b, RRA post Ban style 16" barrel, Daniels Deffense 12.0 over cut down FSB.   Trijicon TA-11 for optical sight, no BUIS system as of yet.

My main complaint with this barrel is that it is to heavy.  Way to heavy in my opnion for a 16 incher.
My main praise for the barrel is that it is damn accurate 3/4" groups are the norm.  

This rifle will be used for Range Blasting, 3-Gun Comp, Home Deffense, shot off the Bench for groups and various types of Hunting.  My typical practice session for 3 gun comp is about 500 rounds fired in 3-5 hours at least once a month and 80 -100 rounds fired in less than 2 hours 3 times.  I do alot of multiple rounds on target multiple target drills.  The point of all this is that this barrel is going to get HOT and be shot while it is hot.  I need a barrel heavy to hold up to some heat, is it true that the "pencil barrels" will "WALK" when warm?

Part of the hunting that I do is turning small fury vermin into small fury blobs of goo so it needs to be accurate as well I would hate to go from a 3/4" rifle to a new barrel that does 2"

I also want to install a very efficient muzzle brake to keep muzzle climb to a minimum.  If anyone can suggest some accurate barrels that weigh less than the RRA 16" I would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know if this will help you or not, but this article makes some claims about "a skinny 1x12 barrel" being the most accurate he has ever shot. www.rifleshootermag.com/gunsmithing/tactical_030105/

I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you're happy with your rifle other than the weight.  Why not flute it under the hand guards, since you're skeptical of a pencil barrel "walking".  While it's getting that done, have a brake installed too.  I don't use brakes so I can't offer any advice there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I have other plans for the existing barrel so replacing it is the only option
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, how about a 14.5" to cut down on weight, flute, and pin a brake on to make it 16".   You could flute in front of the FSB as well.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:26:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry -I personally like the weight of a HBAR barrel -

Call and talk with Steve at ADCO -He,ll help you out      
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sorry -I personally like the weight of a HBAR barrel -

+1
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#8]
This is a teenie bit off topic, but what's the REAL advantage of a heavy barrel?  I know that expensive target rifles have them, as I have a few of these, but on a 16" carbine that's only going to be fired semi-automatic at ramges that will likely never exceed 300 meters is there any real world advantage to having one?  Don't the M4 and M4A1 have thin barrels under the handguard?

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#10]
lmao insulting me isnt a good way to get me to spend money with you!  I do not mind a heavy weight rifle at all but my I think the weight of this barrel is excessive for what this weapon is also I dont think it balances as well as other rifles set up similiarly but with a lighter barrel.  Ok maybe I should just have it threaded for the Muzzle break, The break is only to help my shot to shot time in the 3gun competition.  That is shot to shot on the same target
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:45:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Its a Mid length system, I really want to replace this barrel for the simple fact that I only own one AR-15 and I dont want to be with out it.  While it is being threaded. Do you do any custom fabrication?  Like a muzzle break, a buddy of mine had one that worked perfectly and elimanted all most all the muzzle flash as well I dont have exact specs but I know what it looked like.

FYI  I purchased the original complete RRA upper from you and then the WOA A3 upper receiver that barrel is now in.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:16:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you do any custom fabrication? Like a muzzle break, a buddy of mine had one that worked perfectly and elimanted all most all the muzzle flash as well I dont have exact specs but I know what it looked like.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks will get back to you on the barrel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top