Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2005 4:10:32 PM EDT
Has anybody shot a rifle equiped with a Phantom flashider at night?  If so, how much of a muzzle blast is seen?  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#2]
even with a 14.5'' barrel all you see is a smale red glow in side of fh. With 16 or 20 there is nothing to see. I love my phantoms. I like the old style.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes they work.

C4

+1...

I'm a Vortex user but have friends that use the Phantoms, and like C4 already has said...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes they work.

C4

+1...

I'm a Vortex user but have friends that use the Phantoms, and like C4 already has said...

Mr. Den,

I've been a Phantom man for a long time and just recent installed a Vortex on one of my ARs.  Is that annoying rrriiiinnnngggggggggg  sound common, is it just me, or what?  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:41:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes they work.

C4

+1...

Mr. Den,

I've been a Phantom man for a long time and just recent installed a Vortex on one of my ARs.  Is that annoying rrriiiinnnngggggggggg  sound common, is it just me, or what?  

Nope, not just you, its the nature of the beast... It kind of reminds me of the sound from a "tuning fork"
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Call me crazy but I have noticed that the type of ammo really determines how well it works. Example is that Wolf ammo on the other hand (dont want to get into the debate on that) has very little flash. I am hard pressed to see any flash with that stuff at night.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I love that sound.  I don't have any Vortex, but I've fired weapons equipped with them.

I just hate FH's with prongs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#9]
mine has worked well in low light situations
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
even with a 14.5'' barrel all you see is a smale red glow in side of fh.

Same thing with an 11.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Call me crazy but I have noticed that the type of ammo really determines how well it works. Example is that Wolf ammo on the other hand (dont want to get into the debate on that) has very little flash. I am hard pressed to see any flash with that stuff at night.

Ammunition that is manufactured with flash retardant powder has a lot to do with that... For example, TAP and most if not all military ammunition manufacturers (Like Winchester, Federal and IMI) use flash retardant powder, WOLF does not...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ammunition that is manufactured with flash retardant powder has a lot to do with that... For example, TAP and most if not all military ammunition manufacturers (Like Winchester, Federal and IMI) use flash retardant powder, WOLF does not...

Is this true?  I've read this on this site for years, but is there any documentation that flash retardant is used or even exists?

It would seem that flash is a by product of powder burning, which is kinda what you need to have happening if you want the bullet propelled down the bore.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this true?  I've read this on this site for years, but is there any documentation that flash retardant is used or even exists?

It would seem that flash is a by product of powder burning, which is kinda what you need to have happening if you want the bullet propelled down the bore.

Sure its true... Certain propellants are engineered to minimize muzzle flash... Its especially useful in protecting your night vision...

Ive read up on this awhile back... I believe it was an article at Hornady's or IMI's web site, like I said, its been awhile
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Dig it!  I'm not calling BS or anything.  Just curious if this was a real consideration for ammo manufs!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I shot some Q3131A through a 16" barrel w/phantom 5c2 just 2 nights ago and it worked great, barely saw any flash.  MJD
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Have you shot wolf and xm193 side by side at night, without a flash hider?  Trust me, Federal does not use a flash retardant.  Wolf probably has a lower flash due to it not being loaded as hot.  Some military ammo has the flash retardant like south african and malaysian surplus, and some doesn't like spanish and guatemalan surplus.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:57:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Indeed XM193 will flash most due to being one of the Hottest loads you can get.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top