Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2005 3:21:01 PM EDT
Can a post ban Colt AR-15 20" HBAR be legally converted to a CAR-15 by changing to a 16" barrel and collapsible stock?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Can a post ban Colt AR-15 20" HBAR be legally converted to a CAR-15 by changing to a 16" barrel and collapsible stock?

Under Federal Law, yes. The AWB has expired. However, you need to check with your state and local laws to see if there is a seperate ban in your jurisdiction. There ARE some states and localities where it is NOT legal.

Lonny
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I found the database link from the ATF. The only restriction I can find in IL is in Chicago, and I don't live there. It is for barrel length < 16 in. So can I use a Bushmaster 16" barrel, handgurds and stock, swap them out on my Colt and be on my merry way?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I found the database link from the ATF. The only restriction I can find in IL is in Chicago, and I don't live there. It is for barrel length < 16 in. So can I use a Bushmaster 16" barrel, handgurds and stock, swap them out on my Colt and be on my merry way?

yes, you are good to go
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, last question for now, flash hider or not? Since my rifle was a  fully assembled post ban from 1995, do I have to use a 16" barrel with a permanent welded flashhider, or can it be threaded? Does it matter? Thanks to the replies, I really appreciate it!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#5]
it doesnt have to be permanently attached.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#6]
What about this about stocks and barrels from Bushmaster on a post ban rifle? Thanks again for the replies.

Stocks:  http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/buttstocks/1005-087-8988pek.asp

Barrel:  http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/pbbl14m4iza.asp
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What about this about stocks and barrels from Bushmaster on a post ban rifle?

The good news is that the federal AWB sunset last September and since that time there is no pre-ban, post-ban, during ban, they are all unbanned unless by state or local law.

Barrel less than 16" is still a SBR, that was not part of the AWB.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:36:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What about this about stocks and barrels from Bushmaster on a post ban rifle?

The good news is that the federal AWB sunset last September and since that time there is no pre-ban, post-ban, during ban, they are all unbanned unless by state or local law.

Barrel less than 16" is still a SBR, that was not part of the AWB.

+1

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:58:31 AM EDT
[#9]
OK, but I still don't understand why Bushmaster says on their website about a collapsible buttstock, "This new Tele-Style stock from Bushmaster gives your post-ban carbine the military look. BATF has approved its use on "Post-Ban" Lower Receivers because it has been permanently fixed in an "extended" position."

Bushmaster and DPMS has several 16" barrel assemblies on their websites that are offered pre ban and post ban. Are they just trying to get rid of old stock?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:26:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
OK, but I still don't understand why Bushmaster says on their website about a collapsible buttstock, "This new Tele-Style stock from Bushmaster gives your post-ban carbine the military look. BATF has approved its use on "Post-Ban" Lower Receivers because it has been permanently fixed in an "extended" position."

Bushmaster and DPMS has several 16" barrel assemblies on their websites that are offered pre ban and post ban. Are they just trying to get rid of old stock?

Thanks again.

look for a different stock, the one you are referring to is the fixed stock which isnt collapsable.

with the barrels there are some states that still have existing bans at state level so they would have use for those barrels.

also look in the equipment exchange here, there are dealers selling the same or close to the same stuff for much less
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thanks again.

Some states and Counties still have an "assault weapons" ban and they still refer to AR's as Pre and Post ban.    You want to buy things that say pre ban, you shouldn't want anything that says post ban.   Good luck
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#13]
If you purchase the parts from Bushmaster, they will assemble them on your rifle at no charge.

I see you listed the 14.5 inch M4 barrel with the blind welded "Izzy" flash suppressor. I would recommend you specify them to use the Phantom flash hider instead, as it works much better in doing that job. They seem to be bloated in the supply of Izzy muzzle devices. Must have a warehouse full.

I'm not being negative, but if you intend on de-Feinsteining your piece, sooner is better than later, as Blo-Joe is constantly pushing to rape Illinois of it's firearm rights. We are about two votes away!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Boy, don't I know it. I agree with your sentiments totally! Thanks for the tip, I'll look at that supressor. Would I then ship my current AR to them UPS and then they just return it? No additional NICS issues or IL FOID checks? I am quite legal, but the lower on the radar is better.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#15]
You can send the whole firearm to Bushmaster. No re-transferring of the firearm needed. If you want to do these mods one step at a time, send the upper in, have the work done, then send the lower in. The separate shipping will increase the price, of course.  Have you thought about installing your telestock by yourself?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#16]
The stock I figurerd was a no-brainer, but figured I should have a gunsmith do the barrel. I was looking on their webpage and couldn't find anything posted about installing except when the whole thing is bought from them. I'll have to call. Is Bushmaster the best and most reasonable choice based on cost and quality?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:37:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I think when you figure in the free installation of purchased product, they are probably hard to beat. With that they also include the free disassembly of the old parts. Many dealers will offer free installation with parts purchase, but they will charge to disassemble the original parts; Bushmaster does not.  If you deal with them on this, ensure the parts are readily available, as many have waited months for the different barrel styles to become available.

Please pass along more information on the Colt model you have. Does it use the small diameter pivot pin, etc?

Another option you might want to explore would be to just get a complete barreled upper minus the carrier group and the charging handle, and then sell off the hbar upper, or just keep it.  A very popular upper line is Stag Arms. They can be had very reasonably priced from dealers on this board.  You can also buy a Colt complete upper from some as well. I bought a Colt AR6520 without the bolt group for $430.

Bushmaster is a good one stop shop, but with closer examination, you have other options to look at as well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:45:03 PM EDT
[#18]
It's a stock Colt A2 from 1995, just after the ban. 20" barrel. If I ever HAVE TO  convert back to the long barrel, I'll still have it. The pivot pin looks the same as the A1 I slept with many times while in a green suit. The AR hasn't seen a round go through it in 6 years. Nowhere to shoot. If I got the Bushmaster upper assembly ans bolt and chrging handle, will that mate with no problem to the Colt lower? Seems a lot easier than shipping the rifle for install.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Everything should click right in then. The only other consideration would be the color match. The current Bushmaster models are a deep black. If you have that shade, then all should be perfect. That's what I did to dehorn my post ban rifle. I ordered complete uppers from Bushmaster. It was quick, convenient, and easy. What upper are you looking at. Just keep in mind , the phantom is a much superior muzzle device to the Izzy. BM loves that Izzy thiang.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top