Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 1:47:12 PM EDT
I've seen the term REECE said around here in relation to an AR15.  Can someone explain what it is?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#1]
No you haven't!!  

You've seen RECCE.  It's a size/configuration just like SAM-R, DMR, SPR, etc.  I'm definitely not the one to explain the small nuances between each of them, especially SAM-R and RECCE.  Most people call 16" midlengths with a collapsible stock a RECCE Clone.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:02:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've seen the term REECE said around here in relation to an AR15.  Can someone explain what it is?

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#3]
you are just as much of a dick as i am...

that's the first thing i thought of but he at least used a "C"...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

All kidding aside from prior posts. Check MSTN's Industry Forum for history and more info on the RECCE format.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:17:23 PM EDT
[#5]
"REECE" means "RECON" That ought to tell you enpough.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#6]
RECCE and Recon terms are interchangeable.

Typical components:

16" Lilja 1/8 twist barrels with carbine length gas system & Wylde chambered
Long 12" KAC FF RAS forends
KAC M4 QD FS
KAC can

OPTICS: ACOG, MR/T, LR/T, Nightforce plus Dr Optiks for CQB.

BUIS: Any available and up to the operator.

Other components are from M4 carbines.

There are also civilian Mini-RECCE with 14.5" barrels and shorter FF forends.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:49:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.oldtimecandy.com/images/candypix-pages/reeses-peanut-butter-cup_small.jpg

Wrong, it's pronounced rek-kee.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.oldtimecandy.com/images/candypix-pages/reeses-peanut-butter-cup_small.jpg

Wrong, it's pronounced rek-kee.

Aye. RECCE is like Becky.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Typical components:

KAC M4 QD FS
KAC can

Recce is an abbreviation for Recon, so of course they are interchangable.  

I don't think your entire lists of specs is that common, i.e. the 12" KAC forend.  Dr. Optic for CQB on a Recce?  Civilian Recces are 14.5? huh?  I think most civilians' Recce clones are 16".  Actually, I think they are 100% 16" or longer.  It's the 16" midlength that brought a rise to the recce craze in the civilian world.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#11]
now im confused ? i had wes build me a Recee upper and it was a 16" Lilja 1/8 twist barrels with carbine length gas system & Wylde chambered    also 12" larue  and a spr scope mount for my 4x14x50 mildot scope im still tryin to get the doc optic wes is out of them at the moment .  i will have to ask wes if i dinnt get a recce then ??
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Typical components:

KAC M4 QD FS
KAC can

Recce is an abbreviation for Recon, so of course they are interchangable.  

I don't think your entire lists of specs is that common, i.e. the 12" KAC forend.  Dr. Optic for CQB on a Recce?  Civilian Recces are 14.5? huh?  I think most civilians' Recce clones are 16".  Actually, I think they are 100% 16" or longer.  It's the 16" midlength that brought a rise to the recce craze in the civilian world.  

My list is just a repost from MSTN industry forum. They supply the troops with this configuration.

The Mini-RECCE is not vaporware it exists either with a permanently installed long FS or it could be a SBR which some civilians could have if someone lives in a state without sissy laws. Look at MSTN's website or industry forums to see pics of it (it's cute).

Yes, I agree with you that there's a 16" RECCE midlength craze right now, and I'm in it deep in it because I'm just short of the midlength barrel for my build.

I'm leaning towards a lighter mid-weight profile like the Noveske 1/7.5 twist SPR chrome moly barrel, so when I finish my gun it won't be an actual RECCE. Maybe I'll make a real RECCE on my next build.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:14:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been told more than once that the term Recce (pronounced "Recky") comes from the Brits.  It's British slang, short for "Reconaissance".  Since the US Navy SEALs who first adopted the Recce rifle often train with the SAS/SBS, they started to use the term.

Wes at MSTN does have the definitive description of these rifles in one of his posts.  I can't find it right now, but I do recall reading that the original "real deal" NSW Crane Recce Rifle specs were for a 16 inch Lilja 1/8 twist barreled carbine with carbine length gas system and a free-float forend (originally the KAC RAS or KAC long RAS).  

New AR-Guy has a milspec Recce (excepting the non-milspec Vortex FH--the issued FH would most likely be KAC) in his pic (well done, my man!).

That's the real .mil version anyway.  What folks here will call a "Recce rifle", well that's anyone's guess.  

YMMV.

Will
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#16]
New ArGuy,

Believe it or not, after saving for months, I called Wes to buy that exact upper.  Apparently, I called him right after your girlfriend did.    

No worries, though, as Wes came through for me with a Recce Mod. 1, and even swapped out the LaRue 12.0 for a rare long KAC RAS for me.   While I do sometimes regret not having the Lilja barrel, I have to say I really don't shoot well enough to see the difference between it and my Douglas barrel!

How's the FFD ceramic-coating holding up? (that was the reason I'd waffled in the first place)...

Will

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep, i'm twisted around in the AR15.com version of a Recce...

I was confusing the Recce with ADCO's intentions for the upper I bought.  It's his mutt "DMM4"...
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#19]
If there was ever a good design for an AR15.com SEBR....that'd be....it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:56:24 PM EDT
[#20]
How is that scope working out for her?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:04:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top