Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 10:17:49 AM EDT
Any advantage to this over standard Colt CMP marked bolt? Fill me in. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#1]
think the enhanced version has the dual extractor springs and the differently designed lugs or something like that.

i would just get a known good bolt and call it a day
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a LMT hardchrome bolt that only has a single spring.

Not that I needed chrome, it came that way!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#3]
LMT hard chrome regular bolts were a rare upgrade mistake from the factory.

LMT notified dealers that they will no longer make regular chromed bolts.

A lot of guys are stashing them away including me.

The enhanced LMT bolts are not affected.

Reference LMT Bolt thread link
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Both of my LMTs have the hard chromed bolts
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a LMT bolt, non chromed, I'm lazy and don't clean it much, but it works prefectly, top notch stuff.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:28:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got one of the LMT chromed bolts. I'm very pleased with it.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the replies. Can one of you guys that has one give me a kindergarten level answer as to why a hard chrome bolt is an "upgrade"? I'm not saying it isn't, I'm saying I don't know anything about it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:16:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies. Can one of you guys that has one give me a kindergarten level answer as to why a hard chrome bolt is an "upgrade"? I'm not saying it isn't, I'm saying I don't know anything about it.

I'm not sure if it's an upgrade but I've found it makes cleaning the bolt a little easier.  And since I'm lazy and I hate to clean guns I appreciate the hard chrome
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:29:41 AM EDT
[#9]
OK, thanks M4arc. Easier to clean, that's an advantage. I guess carbon doesn't adhere to hard chrome as well? Any other reason why it is better than the regular bolt?

When I think of chrome I think of shiney, like a chrome bumper on an antique car or exhast pipes on a Harley. Are they shiney like that? Sorry for the dumb question but I am curious enough to go ahead and ask it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:15:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Any other reason why it is better than the regular bolt?

When I think of chrome I think of shiney, like a chrome bumper on an antique car or exhast pipes on a Harley. Are they shiney like that?

All, each and every one of LMT bolts are MPI and high pressure tested same as Colt and MPI marked CMT bolts. Other brand X are random tested or even not at all.

The chrome is not shiney, almost flat. It's not bling-bling.

I'm putting mine away for a special project. I'll just use my regular non-chromed LMT spare bolt assy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks A-R3. I feel slightly less dumb now
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Not to pick nits, but aren't the LMT bolts electroless nickel, not hard chrome?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:51:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
OK, thanks M4arc. Easier to clean, that's an advantage. I guess carbon doesn't adhere to hard chrome as well? Any other reason why it is better than the regular bolt?

When I think of chrome I think of shiney, like a chrome bumper on an antique car or exhast pipes on a Harley. Are they shiney like that? Sorry for the dumb question but I am curious enough to go ahead and ask it.

Yep, I've found that the bolt is easier to clean, the carbon is easier to remove.  That's a bonus in my book.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:57:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Decorative 'bumper' chrome and hard chrome are two very different things.  Hard chrome is a very, very thin coating that will not flake off when applied correctly.  Hard chrome is very hard (read durable), cannot rust or corrode and is very slick.  The bore and chamber of milspec barrels and the inside of milspec bolt carriers and carrier keys are all plated with hard chrome.  It is also usedd on the bores of chambers of most current military weapons from the Beretta M9 to the larger machineguns.

It can be made shiny but is normally more of a matte finish.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Only the enhanced bolt (with the double extractor springs and heavy duty extractor) are nickle plated.

The standard bolt that goes in the semi and M16 are the only ones chromed.

If some of you guys are interested you could put a WTB ads at the EE and I'm sure there are a few sellers still have some of them left.

But don't let them price gouge you.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Apparently not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top