Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 1:41:08 PM EDT
What are the good AR compatible bipods out there?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#1]
bipods suck.  

use a ruck or proper rest/sandbag.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:36:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm one of the few freaks around here who prefer the 9-13" Harris bipod over the 6-9" Harris bipod. Many consider the 6-9" Harris to be ideal, but for me it's just too darn short-particularly when shooting prone.

Here's a Harris 9-13" 1A2-LM mounted on my skunk carbine:

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
bipods suck.  

nice, good advice.....I'll pull my sand bag out of my back pocket next time I deploy my rifle.  

Harris works great for me.  Get a ARMS QD if it's going on rails.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard that a batch of GGG bipods were made shorter on request from a certain unit, and GGG might have some in the works, or some extra in stock.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
bipods suck.  

It would be much more helpful to give an opinion backed up by an explanation as to why you have said opinion.

I've got Harris 9-13" Swivel bipods on both my 20" AR (with an ARMS #32 QD mount) and on my Remingtion .308 LTR. They fulfill my needs and, in the case of the AR, I like having the QD mount to take it off when I don't want or need it.

As new-arguy stated, the Pod Loc is a great add-on to a Harris bipod but you can get the same thing much cheaper buying seperate parts (wish I knew that before I bought the Pod Locs). Here's a link to the thread:

DIY Pod Loc for under $5!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
my prefference is still the 6-9 Harris BRM-S (Bench Rest Model with Swivel). Add a ARMS #32 bipod adapter and a pod-loc, and you have a very versitile and useful addition to a accuracy enhanced gun.

as above except with DIY podloc...

ps:
i hate this place -- it makes me spend lots of money.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pod Loc is a great add-on to a Harris bipod but you can get the same thing much cheaper buying seperate parts (wish I knew that before I bought the Pod Locs).

Tell me about it... 3 pod locks and $75 later... now they tell us!

The height on the GG&G isnt bad. I'd rather have more tension on the swivel, or some way to control it than a shorter one. Both a shorter and tighter one would be fabulous, but I'm a reasonable guy!

The GG&G bipod doesn't have any way to tighten up the swivel?  Hmmm.  I was going to get that one instead of 9-13 Harris and ARMS or Larue QD mount.  It is actually cheaper to get the GG&G, but I like being able to lock in the swivel, or at least make it rather stiff.  I've used other bipods that had no tension at all, and it totally sucked.  So if the swivel tension is not quickly adjustable, I will just cross it off the list and go for the Harris/ARMS or Harri/Larue setup.  Pity....

As for which height, I also prefer the 9-13" version.  I'm rather "thick" and the 6" setting on the BRM is useless in the prone position.  I have to have it at 9" minimum to get to downhill targets.  To get to uphill targets, I have to get closer to 13".  I also perfer the leg notch model.  Off of a bench, I tend to use sand bags instead of the bipod.  Using a pack is also great, but I don't always have a pack easily adaptable for use as a rest....
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#10]
AR_Jedi, those are GREAT looking blasters

Clearly both rifles were configured carefully and intelligently. Well done Sir.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
AR_Jedi, those are GREAT looking blasters
Clearly both rifles were configured carefully and intelligently. Well done Sir.

and thank you sir for your kind words.
(we should be be British, this is so proper!)  

ar-jedi

ps, in case anyone is interested in all the gory details...
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=231558
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:12:37 AM EDT
[#12]
harris 6-9" brms w/ podloc

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top