Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 12:12:35 PM EDT
I know i think people have talked about it before....BUt I am about to send my rifle off to get modified...16:mid length
From a strictly cosmetics standpoint....which looks better...a 9 or 12" larue free float on my AR15.??
I know, Iknow.....and I done have enough toys to put on a 12 but....hey..I said strictly from the looks....I guess the longer one may resemble a mrt LMTmonolithic upper....
Help..the decision is putting me on prilosec and valium!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Your popping pills because your so upset at making a cosmetic weapons deciscion Mabey rehab or some kind of support group?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:25:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Your popping pills because your so upset at making a cosmetic weapons deciscion.
Mabey rehab or some kind of support group?

why do you think he came here? this is the  biggest support group on the net for cosmetic weapon decisions..............if you havent' done so already, just look at some of pictures people have posted with all sorts of junk and useless do-dads they  have added on their ARs, so it looks "cool"
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the Troy 10" . That's what I've got on one of mine.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#4]
come on guys...i have all the stuff I need for the courses I am going down with my county dept. to Blackwater....I just want an opinion for my personal weapon...
MrKasab....if you want to be a smart ass...well here it is....the advantage of a longer rail is to have longer sight radius, hang more stuff, more range of support when shooting prone. etc...I already a have a midlength so I am taking advantage of the longer gas tube....I know everything!!!!!!
So smart asss....All I need to make a decision on is what looks COOLER!!!!?
Show your stufff and we'll see how much you really need on your rifle. so give me a break!
Forgive me if I cant tell if your being sarcastic or not but PLEASE...i am crying out for help..I am a drugie!....Call someone now!!!!!!!!Someone from MSTN!
Jack ASS!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on whether or not you want to see the gas block.  I prefer the look of a 9.0 and the exposed gas block, in particular the LaRue gas block, but that is just my opinion.  

JTAC just finished a new upper for me, an SPRish 18" barrel w/ rifle length system and a 12.0 LaRue.  Once I get the camera I will post pics.  

Having the gas block exposed just looks more proportional to me.  However, if it was really a battle weapon, I would go with the completely covered gas block as it would seem to be a more durable setup.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I like the Troy 10" . That's what I've got on one of mine.

i would go with a  10" rail on a mid length gas system with a 14.5" barrel. i wish LT made a 10". anyone every have a 12" cut down to 10"?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#7]
drabchoi develop a thick skin when you are here.......there isn't a post that goes by that somebody won't insult  or mock you.....so just give it back as good as they dish it out, and you'll be fine
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#8]
9" - save a few ounces
12"  - gain a few ounces, get a longer (iron) sight radius, cover more bbl (less difficult to burn yourself with it).

I went for a 9" on my middie because I'd rather save a few ounces. I would not base my decision on how it looks because looks won't make it perform any better but that's just me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
9" - save a few ounces
12"  - gain a few ounces, get a longer (iron) sight radius, cover more bbl (less difficult to burn yourself with it).

I went for a 9" on my middie because I'd rather save a few ounces. I would not base my decision on how it looks because looks won't make it perform any better but that's just me.

drabchoi, if weight is a concern and you want a 12", iirc DD 12" rail is the same weight as LT 9". not sure if your mind is set on larue or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top