Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2005 4:12:14 PM EDT
Anyone tried the Customizable Tube Forearm System from YHM?  How do you like them?   I want to use a free float forend on my build, but don't need full rails.  These look like they are just what I'm looking for, and lighter than a 4 rail as well.  Do any of the dealers on the board have these in stock?  
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two: rifle and carbine lengths. I like them!

To me they are the best for this reason: they are customizable. Put the rails where you need them. No reason to have all that rail that will never be used. And, you save the expense of buying rail covers to protect the rails you will never use anyway.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 5:45:23 AM EDT
[#2]
i am planning to put the rifle lenght one on my rifle soon. i like the idea behind it.

as for who to purchase it from. i would go with calvin at brightflashlights. he is awesome.

you can find him in the industry forum
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:54:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I would.... IF anyone had them in.  Bright Flashlights told me he was "out of stock with no idea when he'd get more".

I really wanted one for this build I'm doing now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I like it.

Changes that it might need:

Make it lighter by cuting bigger vent holes.

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I like it.

Changes that it might need:

Make it lighter by cuting bigger vent holes.

www.x-velocity.com/guns/yhm1.jpg

www.x-velocity.com/guns/yhm2.jpg

www.x-velocity.com/guns/yhm3.jpg

Yep, I'd love to see a Lightweight Customizable FF tube!
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome gun Timanator.  Your pics have me sold.  Now to find one!  
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 4:01:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I think this one was bought from YHM directly.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Got my rifle length Customizable tube from Brightflashlights a few weeks ago. Great service.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 5:35:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got my rifle length Customizable tube from Brightflashlights a few weeks ago. Great service.

+1
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:56:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I like this tube concept alot.  The only drawback I have seen is the cost of the accessory rails.

From the YHM website - YHM Forearms

Rails for Forearm Tube System

Made from aircraft quality aluminum and hardcoated to mil. Specs. These rails come in 5 different sizes to accomodate your specific shooting needs. Made in standard picatinny configuration. Mounting screws included.

12" (Full Length for YHM9432A rifle length tube) - $40.95

9 1/4" (Full Length for YHM9430A Specter length tube) - $32.95

7" (Full Length for YHM9431A carbine length tube) - $26.75

4" Length - $21.95

3" Length - $20.75

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:08:40 AM EDT
[#11]
not really that bad

taken from brightflashlights' add in the industry forum

Yankee Hill Specter kits & customizable free float tubes are also available -

YHM Specter kits (4 rail FF tube assembly, gas block, end cap, det. flip fr. sight, q.d. sling loop & swiveling stud) for 16" & 20" barrel setups - please contact for availability & pricing.

YHM-9431A - Customizable Free Float forearm - Carbine length (7.2") for std. CAR sight radius - $71.00 + s/h

YHM-9430A - Customizable Free Float forearm - Specter length (9.675") for std. or mid-length sight radiuses (requires Specter lo-profile gas block which is included) - $102.00 + s/h -- ON ORDER

Click HERE for pictures of the customizable FF tube

YHM-9432A - Customizable Free Float forearm - for full length rifle sight radius such as a 16" Dissipator barrel or 20" rifle barrel - $94 + s/h

12" rail segment - $34.00
8 7/8" rail segment - $26.50 (Specter length)
7" rail segment - $22.00
4" rail segment - $17.50
3" rail segment - $17.00
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:21:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
not really that bad

taken from brightflashlights' add in the industry forum

Yankee Hill Specter kits & customizable free float tubes are also available -

YHM Specter kits (4 rail FF tube assembly, gas block, end cap, det. flip fr. sight, q.d. sling loop & swiveling stud) for 16" & 20" barrel setups - please contact for availability & pricing.

YHM-9431A - Customizable Free Float forearm - Carbine length (7.2") for std. CAR sight radius - $71.00 + s/h

YHM-9430A - Customizable Free Float forearm - Specter length (9.675") for std. or mid-length sight radiuses (requires Specter lo-profile gas block which is included) - $102.00 + s/h -- ON ORDER

Click HERE for pictures of the customizable FF tube

YHM-9432A - Customizable Free Float forearm - for full length rifle sight radius such as a 16" Dissipator barrel or 20" rifle barrel - $94 + s/h

12" rail segment - $34.00
8 7/8" rail segment - $26.50 (Specter length)
7" rail segment - $22.00
4" rail segment - $17.50
3" rail segment - $17.00

Much better.

But still a bit pricey for a thin slab of aluminum.  They do put alot of detail into the machining of these rails, but you and I, the consumers, are paying for that.  There's about $0.05 worth of aluminum there and the rest is labor, tooling costs and gravy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Is this the same rail system that Fulton sells?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is this the same rail system that Fulton sells?

I think it is.  They call it the Phantom II, but it looks very close to the YHM.  They also sell alot of other YHM products - railed FF tubes, tube nut wrenches, Phantom FHs - to name a few.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice rifle Timanator.

Anyone know if these will fit over a bushy dissy gas block?  Putting one together now and I'm trying to decide what to do with the handguards.  I like the flexibility of these since I don't need allot of rail reestate.

Thanks,
CDkayak
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:11:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Anybody know if the #38 Swan sleeve would fit it, if not is there something simular?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:49:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Anybody know if the #38 Swan sleeve would fit it, if not is there something simular?

i was thinking more of the A.R.M.S. # SPR-PEQ-2-3  which is used for the spr mod 0 i believe.
picture borrowed from adco. who sells

it mounts onto the pri tube and the upper receiver. if this arms rail works then its a real big plus.

anyone know?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Anyone know if these will fit over a bushy dissy gas block? Putting one together now and I'm trying to decide what to do with the handguards. I like the flexibility of these since I don't need allot of rail reestate.

They should.  I spoke with a Bushmaster smith about it a while back, regarding a different rail system, and he said that most any 2 or 3 piece rail system would work.  The only reason their V-match forend wouldn't fit is because it's a 1-piece.  

Quoted:

If you mean the #38 EX or #38 S-EX, then yes, they'll fit.  But the PRI specific rail won't fit.  They're a proprietary piece of equipment.  It doesn't just clamp onto the rails at the other end of the PRI tube.  BUT there are other options.  Armalite makes one that fits all the way from receiver to end like the ARMS, and Yankee Hill makes one that is 12" long total.  It won't fit all the way from end to end, but it will cover about 4" on the receiver and 8" onto the forend.  Other than looks, I have never seen a purpose for the full length anyway.  I've never seen ANYTHING mounted that far out.  Plus, if you use a rail mounted flip up front sight, you would WANT the rail to be the lower height to give proper elevation.  And lastly, every inch of unused rail is extra weight that you leave hanging needlessly on your rifle.  Keep in mind how much heavier the SPR Mod0 is than the Mod1.  It's got a LOT to do with that extra rail on top.  If I needed something like this, I'd use the YHM version.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Onslaught,

Thanks for the info.  Next is the fun part of driving out the pins on the gas block & FSB to swap barrel nuts.  Hopefully I'll have some of Mongo's luck on that job.

CDKayak
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i was thinking more of the A.R.M.S. # SPR-PEQ-2-3  which is used for the spr mod 0 i believe.
picture borrowed from adco. who sells

www.adcofirearms.com/acc/acimages/SPR-PEQ-2-3.jpg

it mounts onto the pri tube and the upper receiver. if this arms rail works then its a real big plus.

anyone know?

A bit off topic, but:

A while back I tried to mate an older style ARMS 38S-EX-MOD to a YHM light weight FF tube with no luck.  I couldn't move the tube back anymore, nor could I move the tube forward, as the gap between the tube and FSB was smaller than the gap that would have to have been made up to make the rail slots line up.  Pics below.  

The PEQ rail is mounted to the PRI tube with machine screws through the top into the top rails of the PRI tube, as indicated by the arrow below the picture.  The YHM tube would have no accomodations for that.  It may slide on over the top rail of you customizable, but it would in no way be secure.  If you were handy, you just may be able to drill/tap those holes in the proper locations and make it work, though.

.....................^..........^.............^....

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#21]
TCMERS,
I just sent you an IM.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Why would you guys want the Full Length ARMS rail/rail over the top.

If you get the shorter exntention like the Larue's Mount ot ARMS 38 EX, you cna have a scope with larger objective lens still be mounted lower for better cheek weld?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#23]
the full length that attaches to the upper and the tube would offer a more stable mount and would help make the tube more stable.

and it would double as a cheaper alternative to a spr mod0 type deal
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 3:45:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I thought about putting one on my armilite ar15Ta4. My forearm seems  to be to big and heavy but this ff custmizing one looks like its smaller and lighter and looks better.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I thought about putting one on my armilite ar15Ta4. My forearm seems to be to big and heavy but this ff custmizing one looks like its smaller and lighter and looks better.

If your forend is the "quad rail", the one with the four short rails at the very end, then it weighs a RIDICULOUS 25.5 OUNCES!  I just mailed mine unused back to Armalite for a refund.  No wonder they wouldn't answer my "how much does it weigh" questions...

YHM's website openly states the weights of their forends.  While they don't mention the weights of the rails themselves, the cust. tube is 14 ounces.  Nearly HALF what the Armalite forend weighs.

If on the other hand, you just had the tube without rails, I don't know the weight of that one, but it's still heavier than 14 ounces.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top