Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2004 9:03:48 AM EDT
can 5.56 milspec be shot reliably in the white oak armament complete match upper w/ the wylde chamber
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#2]
My WOA SPR barrel would not feed M855/SS109 ammo, reloads from Georgia Arms.  The bolt would not close on any of the rounds.  Apparently the ogive (curve) of the tip of the bullet was contacting the throat before the bolt could close.  This info came from the people at WOA.  It feeds max mag length 69gr and 77gr SMKs all day long, though.  I haven't tried any other factory ammo with it.  I exclusively shoot match ammo, like Black Hills 69gr and 75 gr loads or my 69gr and 77gr SMK handloads.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#3]
any other opinions on this upper?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The Wylde is supposed to be a chambering in between the 5.56 and .223.  How it differs, I don't know, but there are alot of Wylde chambered barrels out there and the seem to feed most anything OK.  I believe my SPR barrel is more of a match chamber and won't feed some ammo at all.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Wylde is supposed to be a chambering in between the 5.56 and .223.  How it differs, I don't know, but there are alot of Wylde chambered barrels out there and the seem to feed most anything OK.  I believe my SPR barrel is more of a match chamber and won't feed some ammo at all.

yeah i read that on the ammo oracle......i was just wondering if the chamber could sustain the higher pressures of the 5.56mm ammo being used for shorter ranges such as 300m instead of going and getting some 80gr .223 and paying out of my ass for plinking.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

In the *body* dimensions the 5.56 NATO chamber and Wylde chamber are the same. They differ on the leade angle a bit and the throat is a bit shorter in the Wylde chamber. The commercial .223 Remington chamber is much shorter than the Wylde.

For comparison in order to seat a Sierra 80 grain bullet to touch the lands in a NATO chamber you need an OAL of +/- 2.550". With the Wylde it is +/- 2.465" OAL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top