Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2004 3:34:43 AM EDT
Hello,

Who's selling Ops Inc SPR brakes that will accept the standard muzzle threads? (1/2 28 if my memory serves.)

Thanks.

Petri
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:38:01 AM EDT
[#1]
TAG
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:43:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's a fake brake, but no collar, 1/2 of the way down on the left side:

ADCO Firearms

BTW, the general consensus of those who have sold these setups has been that you CANNOT get a real brake unless you buy a whole barrel, whole upper, rifle, etc.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:53:41 AM EDT
[#3]
OPS Inc is not releasing "their" brake and collar to the civilian market as of yet.  Rumor had it that they were trying to do this but as of this date they have not.  You can either buy a clone from ADCO or install a FS or other brake and wait it out like the rest of us.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:13:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
wait it out like the rest of us

Some of us can't wait.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:03:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:51:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey BB,
As an option I'm toying with the idea of an 18" RRA Varmint barrel set up.
18" Varmint Stainless
Threaded for a vortex FH
Contoured from gas block to the FH

Or scrape the above and just go with the WOA SPR barrel?

I/M me when you get a chance as this is nothing pressing, just planning ahead.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hello,

Who's selling Ops Inc SPR brakes that will accept the standard muzzle threads? (1/2 28 if my memory serves.)

Thanks.

Petri

If OP does start selling them to the public, I highly doubt they will be leaving the country if you want one in FIN?

Do they now even restrict the traffic of muzzle brakes from the U.S. ??

Gosh, might end up in the hands of Al-Qaeda if a Finnish shooter has an American accessory on his AR15.  

I know its probably wise not to freely export Gen3 NV and the sorts but what weapon accessories in general are restricted to sell out of the U.S...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#9]
ITAR. Ask Wes Grant about that. He can clarify.

Google is your friend too. I think its all on the State Dept's website.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm not too up on the laws, but I think a general rule is something to the extent that if the US military uses it, it cannot be exported?  I *think* Seberger put stop on his brakes/cans being exported once and went so far as to ask the state dept. for help?

Roger on that and that also covers AR15 rifles, unfortunately. It has been hell to get AR parts from US since 2000. Every order over $100 requires export licence. But for single muzzle brake? Gimme a break!!
Bureaucrats are so full of shit (on both sides of big pond).

Maybe some day there would be one dealer in United States, who would be willing to help guys on this side of the Pond. Here is market for spare parts, accesories etc.

Dealing with State Department shouldn´t be so hard task. If they accept export licenses to Brownells, so why wouldn´t they deny it from others?

MN
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Brownells sells the brake, but not the collars.

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7684
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#12]
VA,

That is the four port brake not the more desireable two port brake that is used on SPR style rifles.

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
VA,

That is the four port brake not the more desireable two port brake that is used on SPR style rifles.

Regards,
Gary

Ah, but they can be made to look like an Ops Inc setup with the thread protector and collar.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
VA,

Regards,
Gary

Just a heads up, but ADCO can mill off  the extra two ports and press on a thread protector.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
VA,

Regards,
Gary

Just a heads up, but ADCO can mill off  the extra two ports and press on a thread protector.

My measurements show that they can be made with a functional thread protector.  Not sure if it is actually Ops Inc compatible, but my "model" was sold to me as Ops Inc compatible and that four port brake can be "massaged" to have a functional thread protector.  This is ornamental, as I cannot confirm whether it will actually work with an Ops Inc can or not, as I live in MI.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#16]
There is someone on the EE that is selling the collars. He is making them on a lathe, and from the pictures, they look great. I just can't scrape up the 30 dollars to buy one yet.

I even found the link for ya'

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=231848

O2(Iwantone)BNMUD
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
There is someone on the EE that is selling the collars. He is making them on a lathe, and from the pictures, they look great. I just can't scrape up the 30 dollars to buy one yet.

O2(Iwantone)BNMUD

I'm not that someone, but I did something similiar.  This is modeled after an actual Ops Inc setup:

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Mongo,

Your machinist skills make me envy you... Very nice job.

MN
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Mongo, that is sweet!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:07:47 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

O2(Iwantone)BNMUD

I'm not that someone, but I did something similiar.  This is modeled after an actual Ops Inc setup:

tinypic.com/40yaa
tinypic.com/40yah

$$ ??
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:11:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Is this brake really worth all the money and trouble?  I ask this sincerely.  Does it really work that much better than other similar brakes?  Isn't the collar for a can?  Isn't it designed for a can that 99% of us will never use?  My experience with brakes are that on a 5.56 the work OK, but the increase in muzzle noise is noticeable, especially for those to your flanks.  I have a vortex on my SPR and it works fine.  If I had an Ops brake, would my follow up shots increase such that it warrants the expense?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Is this brake really worth all the money and trouble?  

That's for the end user to decide, I guess.

I ask this sincerely.  Does it really work that much better than other similar brakes?  

Probably no better than most out there and worst than some.  The original Ops Inc brake has design features that enhance its performance with the can, so I'm sure some braking function may have been sacrificed for this.

Isn't the collar for a can?  Isn't it designed for a can that 99% of us will never use?  

Yes, and Yes, although Ops Inc has found a loophole in the CA law that allows them to sell outside of CA now, so that percentage of people that can't have one/won't use one will drop, but not noticably.  I still can't own one, as I live in MI and it isn't allowed.

My experience with brakes are that on a 5.56 the work OK, but the increase in muzzle noise is noticeable, especially for those to your flanks.  I have a vortex on my SPR and it works fine.  If I had an Ops brake, would my follow up shots increase such that it warrants the expense?

Probably not enough to be noticable.

As for me, I have a muzzle device fetish - I just love anything unusual, unique or out of the ordinary, that's why almost all of my builds have some odd muzzle device, like the one pictured above.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Understandable re the brake fetish Mongo.  Mine is a sling attachment fetish.  Paracord, 100mph tape, and a regular ole $3 issue sling would function the same if not better than some of my gadgets.  Thanks for the informed response.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 2:07:50 AM EDT
[#24]
It's all about the looks. I just want one and that's good enough reason for me
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I want an SPR upper, but I will only care about the Ops Inc brake/collar if I can get the suppressor that goes with it.  Otherwise, my SPR upper will have a bi-lock on it for the M4-96D soon to be ordered.....
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Read this.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Read this.

Thanks Mongo!  That thread happened while I was out of the country, so I missed it.

Hmmm....now to find out how much the can costs.

How does it compare to the Gemtech in terms of suppression?
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey Scott,

Before you buy it read the suppressor measurements thread on Full-auto. Ops Inc cans are nowhere near as silent as people think!!! The db "data" on their web site is RECORDED 96 FEET AWAY!!!! And without mil-std equipment....
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:37:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Hey Scott,

Before you buy it read the suppressor measurements thread on Full-auto. Ops Inc cans are nowhere near as silent as people think!!! The db "data" on their web site is RECORDED 96 FEET AWAY!!!! And without mil-std equipment....

Measuring the sound level 96 feet in front of the muzzle makes perfect sense if you think about it. Ops Inc does not design their suppressors to protect the hearing of the shooter or the hearing of the people near the shooter. The idea of the suppressor is to make the shooter's (an operator, not a civilian user) location difficult for the enemy to figure out. That's why it is more important to have good down-range attenuation and not concentrate on the sound level just one meter away from the shooter.

If you have the chance, go listen to a suppressed rifle (using full house loads, not subsonic) in front of the muzzle. The origin of the shot will be very difficult to pinpoint, which is exactly the reason why militaries use suppressors. Not for hearing protection but for stealth. Very typically the suppressed shot appears to come from a direction totally opposite of the actual shooter. This is because the flight noise (over 140db for 7.62x51 for example) echoes from the terrain around the listener. The actual shot is hard to discern and even harder to pinpoint.

In my opinion you're way out of line in saying that Ops Inc cans are not as silent as they claim. A can that is loud next to the shooter can be very effective down-range. It's all about what you want the can to do: protect your hearing, protect the hearing of others around you or hide you from the enemy. I've yet to see a can that does all three better than the competition.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:03:20 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

In my opinion you're way out of line in saying that Ops Inc cans are not as silent as they claim.

Well that's your opinion, mister. Read the thread on full-auto.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:15:45 AM EDT
[#31]
OH NO!!  We got a Finnish standoff!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:19:19 AM EDT
[#32]

in front of the muzzle

Where's Eddie Eagle when ya need him? Good LORD

Actually, I know what you MEANT by that, but it still sounds funny
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:52:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Well that's your opinion, mister. Read the thread on full-auto.

Yeah, and I stand behind it. My point still stands that sound level measurements near the shooter don't tell much about how the suppressor performs downrange where it counts for military use. Ops Inc produces military suppressors, draw your conclusions from there. Decibel measurements are not the whole picture, the human ear doesn't discern direction based on sound level. Civilian use, however, is a different ball game.

That's all I have to say to this matter. Carry on. Mongo, you can breath now, the standoff is over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top