Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2004 4:13:14 AM EDT
I recently aquired a post ban  uppper which has a standard rifle barrel end on it with exception  of a groove that is cut about a 1/4 inch back from the tip of the barrel.
   I am geussing that the previous owner removed the press on one.
   i would like to replace the flash hider either  set screw type or a permanent mount has anyone seen this type of flash hider for sale .
Thanks
Jeff
Semper Fi
hug.gif
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:40:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Just curious why a pin on or set screw?  A pin on in these post ban days is used to bring a sub 16" barrel up to legal length. I'm not sure how easy it would be to fit considering you already have one groove drilled.

And a set screw type is typically used to amuse your fellow shooters as your muzzle thingy flies downrange.

Seems that even with a groove you could still thread the barrel and put on a standard FH type.

Is there some local law?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

And a set screw type is typically used to amuse your fellow shooters as your muzzle thingy flies downrange.

LOL  I did that once with a FAL. Never did find the damn thing.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Really its all in the look, I don't like the way it looks with groove.
  Don't really care if it someone can see my muzzle flash.
  As far as screw or pin is because I was talking to a local gunsmith that refused to thread my  barrel and advised that I not try it because of several horror stories he has seen with some of the aftermarket thread kits available that guys have tried and messed their barrels uphug.gif.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#4]
aah okay.  well you might want to consider another gunsmith for one thing.  I don't really see how you could screw up a barrel with a threading kit, even if you have a barrel whose bore wasn't drilled on center it would have to be a real piece of crap before you could get a bullet strike on your FS.  At any rate there are several decent gunsmiths that could do it for you, kurts custom has gotten good reviews in the past.  I guess if your groove is really deep there may be some concern there but there may be solutions for that as well.

I myself have threaded a FAL barrel, which i shot last weekend with no problems and an AK which i hope to shoot tomorrow, both done with kits i got from brownells.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:30:34 AM EDT
[#5]
There are gunsmiths and their machinists/gunsmiths.  Find a machinist/gunsmith.  Any machinist can cut proper threads on the end of a tube of steel.  Find somebody competent.

If your barrel is 16" or more, the pinning/setscrewing is not required.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:51:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Who do you all recommend to install a flash hider on a post ban barrel?  I saw a site that is a sponsor here and does flash hider installations but I can't remember who.
Top Top