Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 10:15:32 PM EDT
Okay, I've got a brand new lower sitting on my stereo. First AR-15.

I'm gonna build this one, and am debating what kit to get (which is hell). Debate between two 16 inch CARs, or a 11.5+5.5 (I like the look, both will get SBR'd one day anyway. The 16 inch is winning in my head right now) from Model 1 or JT.  

Questions!

1)JT has a very good reputation around here. BUT they don't offer CAR's with chrome lined barrel. Now, I don't abuse my rifles, and I keep them maintained. But I do hike with them sometimes, and rust never sleeps.  Should I walk away since they aren't chrome lined? Or will it not matter for a guy who typically does not throw his rifle into creeks and stuff (and would clean it quickly if he dropped it in one)?

2)What's the big difference between the standard CAR barrel and the lightweight? Just the weight? Which one is "better"?

The hardest part of this whole build wasn't deciding to sell my AK, or coming up with cash, or that stuff. It's picking a damned upper type.

3)What's the barrel profile of your standard 10.5 inch Commando (this rifle will get SBR'd one day)?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:13:20 AM EDT
[#1]
JT does offer chrome-lined barrels. Just call and ask, or post in the industry forums. They're very fast and helpful.

That said, I still think chrome barrels are given exaggerated importance in civilian applications. CLP in the bore goes a long way in protecting against rust. Then again, I live in CO.

Get the lightweight. I had the CAR.. mine wasn't terribly heavy, but a LW barrel is just a dream to handle.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#2]
There are, literally, thousands of non-chromelined rigs belonging to members here that run just fine.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#3]

3)What's the barrel profile of your standard 10.5 inch Commando (this rifle will get SBR'd one day)?

Regardless of the barrel profile, I'd vote against a 10.5" barrel now if the sole motivation is making it an SBR somewhere down the road, but a usable rifle now.  

1. Having both, the 16" is much more practical (if you must have the length, it might as well be barrel) I admit I like the looks of a 11.5+5.5 FH XM-177-look-alike, but the required legal overall length requires giving up velocity for no overall length advantages, not to mention not an ideal first AR.
1a. I beleive J&T offers a 14.5 chrome lined with permanent Phantom FH for 16" overall.
See You asked for em, we've got em.. Chrome lined LW & HBAR's     for options/ prices.  The 14.5+Phantom fills the coolnes factor of the Commando nicely IMO.

2. For it to be legal pending the SBR route, the 16" overall length must be permanent, meaning a fixed flashhider.  Removing it later may be just as expensive as a new barrel, depending on how the mfg permanently attaches it, and you'd still have a used barrel.
2a. Unless you are very familiar with the ATF requirements for making the FH "permanent" I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself; the penalty is the same if you get it wrong or try to slide by with loc-tite (to make it easier to remove later) -- 10 years.

3. Factoring the cost of removing the permanent 5.5 FH for an SBR vs. a new 10.5" barrel, keep an eye out for cheap upper receivers and build a new SBR upper AFTER the Form 1 is approved.  That way you have the 10.5 upper and the longer 16" upper -- kind of a dual role carbine availability.

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I have some FALs that don't have the chrome lined barrels, and they were buily from kits, probably 40 years or more old, and they're just fine.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I have SS, chrome lined, and unchromed, and all function well.

My J&T kits (I have 2) are both excellent, and both run 100%.  I have not had a single malfunction with either of them.  Both have unchromed 16" barrels.

Yes, you CAN get chrome lined from J&T, but they have not updated their website.  I just received a new catalog, and the 16" carbines do have the chrome lined option for $50 extra.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:04:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm running my own little test on how dirty I can get my non-chrome lined barrel before it fails. I'm at about 800 without a cleaning and have had 0 failures. I've been told chrome lined barrels are only needed for very very neglected M16's in the hands of stupid hippie kids drafted into SE Asia. We'll see.

Kevin
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 1:29:46 AM EDT
[#7]
FWIW, powder attracts moisture. Clean it or you'll be replacing it. At least in the PNW.

Chrome barrels also last longer. The throat is much slower to burn out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top