Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 6:58:29 PM EDT
What type of feedback is there on the YHM FF railed handguards?  I'm well aware that you get what you pay for, but for $99, I have to ask what the drawbacks are.  Are the rails within spec?  Are the materials up to par?  Are they difficult to install?  If they were great, I'm sure everyone would have one since they are a third the price of other rail systems.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Everyone does not have them because they are snobs. The military does not use them, so that makes them less desirable in the eyes of these people. As far as I know YHM does not have a cosy relationship with a Special Forces organization, so they are out of the picture. And they don't charge inflated prices like $350 dallars for a HANDGUARD for instance.

I like ny YHM stuff just fine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#2]
They install just the same as just about any other conventional style free-float tube.  The only concern is that you need to make sure you get the locking nut tight so the tube doesn't come loose.  This is a concern with many other handguards as well...
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:22:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I liked mine.

Installed 3 sets lately, 2 FF carbine and one like a RAS where if utilize the Delta rings and is not a FF.

All very high quality and seems to work with all accesories thrown at it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Which model handguard did the Italians buy?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They install just the same as just about any other conventional style free-float tube.  The only concern is that you need to make sure you get the locking nut tight so the tube doesn't come loose.  This is a concern with many other handguards as well...

Handguards, not FF.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Handguards, not FF.

What are you talking about?  The original post says "What type of feedback is there on the YHM FF railed handguards?"
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Handguards, not FF.

What are you talking about?  The original post says "What type of feedback is there on the YHM FF railed handguards?"

I stand corrected, I read the title but passed over the "FF" in the text body. sorry.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#10]
i really love mine. they were a bitch to install by myself though. they are as rock solid as the KAC rails i've used, for 1/3 of the price.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Well when I get my upper back I'll be able to tell you guys.  I sent it out to get the barrell threaded, and so since the guys at CMMG where going to have it for a while I decided to go ahead and get  the YHM FF tube put on as well (along with a few other things).  I'll post it when I get it back.  Based on what I've been told about them, I'm sure I'll like it just fine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:01:05 AM EDT
[#13]
i ordered the yhm 4 rail ff handguards from brightflashlights and they should come in today. i will let you know how i like it

here are some threads to look at
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=197585

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=202695

this is a cool one too
www.tnrdgrnr.com/reviews/yhm.htm
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:31:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I purchased a YHM 'Customizable' Free Float handguard (Spectre Length) for my recent project.

Overall the unit is built well and if fairly sturdy.  I like that I can add only the rails I need (in whatever length I desire).

Drawbacks with the unit?  It takes a bit more effort to align (there is no mechanical aligment built into the handguards).  It's not tough - but you have to remember to do the alignment when you are tightening the slip ring.

Be sure you don't allow the slip ring too close to the receiver or the upper may not fit on the lower (the foward takedown pin will hit the slip ring).  Just back off 1 turn if you do have the slip ring too close to the receiver.

I HIGHLY recommend you get the special wrench for tightening the slip ring.  Strap wrench really won't do well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Ditto on the YHM 'Customizable' Free Float handguard. Low cost and rails where you want them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I wish they had a smaller diameter.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#17]
I have the light weight specter length FF tube and I love it. I never insalled a FF tube before and this was cake. 15 minutes from start to finish. It felt too easy with the tool I got from YHM.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
What type of feedback is there on the YHM FF railed handguards?  I'm well aware that you get what you pay for, but for $99, I have to ask what the drawbacks are.  Are the rails within spec?  Are the materials up to par?  Are they difficult to install?  If they were great, I'm sure everyone would have one since they are a third the price of other rail systems.

I picked up a pair from Bravo Company USA and they are great. Went on in about 15mins or so after taking all the other crap off the upper. Very easy and well worth the money. Locked up solid, I just shot it for the first time after putting them on today, and everything stayed solid. Well worth the money.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#19]

I wish they had a smaller diameter.

Not a problem really.

Get the Customizable FF tube. If the handguards get too hot, slap a vertical grip on.

No need to waste money on rail protectors because you just don't put the rails on.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:43:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I love my YHM FF setup.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice pic,  I can't wait to get mine back from CMMG.   Should be similar to the pic above, but a dissy instead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top