Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 4:13:25 PM EDT
Just like the subject says, what should I use? I'm replacing my non-collapsible with a collapsible RRA stock and was just curious if there's something in particular I should use on the threads.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Generally, nothing as aluminum to aluminum is fine.  Some will recommend a few drops of loctite, though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:14:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:16:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I havent had any trouble without grease, FWIW.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:15:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I havent had any trouble without grease, FWIW.

I spend 7 years working in shop repairing things (not guns)

I fully value the use of grease on threads.  I've had to use a blow torch WAY too often to get parts off when people failed to use grease.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:35:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a little bit of Blue Loctite myself. Have seen way too many tubes come loose without it!

Never had a problem removing one (that was Loctited) either.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:38:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Have seen way too many tubes come loose without it!

'

How?  There is a plate that keeps the stock from rotating, and if the lockring is staked, it can't get loose.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:45:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't like staking the lock ring. It screws up the locking ring/plate if you choose to remove it for some reason.

If I did use the staking method I still would not use grease.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:13:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I always use grease or at leat oil on -all- threads.  With grease you can torque the screw/bolt/whatever down tight enouh that it doesn't come loose, but you'll still be able to remove it if you need to.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The threads require moly-di grease.  See TM9-1005-319-23&P, a book you should have if you're screwing around swapping barrels and stocks.

Grease is required because of disssimilar metals and the use of grease is assumed in the toque specifications.

-- Chuck

+1 - I installed a stock once w/o the grease - man what a bear of a time I had removing that receiver extension when I changed the stock.  (I had installed the receiver extension to the torque spec listed in the manual w/o the grease).
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I just place a few drops of oil on the threads when I install a new stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top