Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 12:51:43 PM EDT
Title says it all. Does anyone make an M203 look-alike shotgun?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#1]
You could always get a Masterkey.

Either way, it would have to be a NFA registered Short Barrel Shotgun.

So knowing that, you might as well get a real M203.  I think the cost would come out about the same.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Well...drat...I should acctually put some thought into this, could be cool.

If one were to get a real M203, what do you shoot out of it?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a 37 mm M-203 lookalike that is made.   Bushmaster used to have them, not sure if they still do. It's called the CM-2037.  I had one, they're kind of heavy, but if it's the look you want, it's the way to go.  No special licenses needed.  You can launch flares, smokes, screamers, bird-bombs and tear gas rounds from them.   If you have any baton rounds or solid ammo though, it's considered a "destructive device."
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#4]
You could always buy an AOW instead of a SBS and pay $5 instead of $200.  You don't need the stock of a SBS, and the pistol grip could double as a verticle grip maybe.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You could always buy an AOW instead of a SBS and pay $5 instead of $200.  You don't need the stock of a SBS, and the pistol grip could double as a verticle grip maybe.  

Attaching an AOW won't work, as AOWs are NOT allowed to have a buttstock, legally.

Attaching it TO a weapon with a buttstock, makes it LEGALLY a Short Barrelled Shotgun, requiring a $200.00 Tax paid, WITH approval from BATF, in ADVANCE .

Sorry, I had the same idea, until I was reminded of this. My AOW must remain "unattached."

Lonny
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Ah didn't even think about it being on a weapon with a stock and making it an SBS.  Thanks for the reminder!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well...drat...I should acctually put some thought into this, could be cool.

If one were to get a real M203, what do you shoot out of it?

Practice rounds, flares, nonlethal stuff etc.  There's this neat insert that fires a whole bunch of .22 LR rounds at once, can't remember the name of it. Looks like it would tear something up.

You can also get HE, but since that actually blows up it's a DD and you have to go through paperwork for EVERY round.

The only real advantage over a 37mm is if you're going to fire .22, or HE.

If you want a shotgun, imo, get a Masterkey.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#8]
They used to make 00 buckshot 40 mm rounds. Also a pump 40mm grenade launcher. Would that be considered a DD? lol. Someone said that the buckshot rounds didn't work very well in the pump because of the shape of the nose of the round. I think it was China Lake Arsenal that made it for the SeAls. ??? Anyone know more?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#9]
What is a "Masterkey"?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What is a "Masterkey"?

A chopped Remington 870 stuck under an M4 like a 203.

The thought behind it, IIRC,  was that guys doing CQB could blow a door off with a shotgun blast without having to switch weapons, hence "Masterkey". Or have a less than lethal 12 gauge round under your lethal weapon.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What is a "Masterkey"?

Its used for opening doors, thus the name Masterkey

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There is a 37 mm M-203 lookalike that is made.   Bushmaster used to have them, not sure if they still do. It's called the CM-2037.  I had one, they're kind of heavy, but if it's the look you want, it's the way to go.  No special licenses needed.  You can launch flares, smokes, screamers, bird-bombs and tear gas rounds from them.   If you have any baton rounds or solid ammo though, it's considered a "destructive device."

bird-bombs are now considered a no-no and must be registered as a dd unless you have an exemption for agriculture and i think for clearing airport runways because of the exploding report. so the 37mm launcher is basically just for flares and smoke - i am not up on the legalities of tear gas, etc.  
mp
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

bird-bombs are now considered a no-no and must be registered as a dd unless you have an exemption for agriculture and i think for clearing airport runways because of the exploding report. so the 37mm launcher is basically just for flares and smoke - i am not up on the legalities of tear gas, etc.  
mp

37mm.com
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

mp

legalities aside, if you're using the Bushmaster CM-2037 there's a warning on their product page that reads "Warning: This product is not rated for Police Gas Canisters. Danger of Explosion!"
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#15]
If you look closely at the movie "Predator", the M-16 that the American Indian is carrying has a pump shotgun mounted underneath with what looks to me like a 18" bbl. Anybody remember this? Is that legal?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember, a Mossberg 500 right? Hmmmm, is the masterkey thing legal for civies?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Both the Masterkey and the shotgun that "Billy" had mounted on his M16 were Remington 870s. I believe Billy's was a Ciener Ultimate Over/Under, which uses the bayonet lug and the front receiver pin. The Masterkey mounts in a manner similar to a M203.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top