Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2004 8:12:43 PM EDT
If I go with an "M16 M4 Kit", I need to know the difference between these stock options:

Collapsible CAR vs Collapsible M4. What's the difference? Is one 4 position and the other six?
Also, what are these stocks made out of? I'm guessing that they aren't aluminum.

Now, I know these next questions are pretty amateur, but I don't know the answers, so I'm asking them anyway:

1) I'm thinking that a "chrome-moly" barrel means chrome-lined? I don't see any option for a "chrome-lined" barrel on this kit so that's why I'm making that assumption. Am I right?

2) On this kit, you can choose an "A3 upper"....which is the flattop I want. But it is $8 more for the "A3 Upper with NM front site". What is the "NM front site"? Non moveable? And if I don't go with the "NM front site", does that mean that there is no front site at all?

Now, I know I could just send Model1 an e-mail with these questions, but I have a personal policy. If you ever have the option, ask an impartial 3rd party before you buy anything. Plus, many of you guys already have these kits. Please let me know.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
NM is National Match. Instead of 1/2 MOA adjustments, you get 1/4 MOA adjustments.

Numbers may be slightly off, but its something like that. Basically you get finer adjustment ability.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn this damn double-tapping SHIT! I click a link, get "Connection closed by remote server", click it again, and POOF, there is two posts by me, same damn thing.

Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I think model 1 sales uses the same car stock on both kits.  They are chrome lined barrels.  NM is National Match as in match grade sights.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Stock differences:

ETA: Both are plastic, just look a little different.

1) No. The barrels are made of an alloy of steel with Chrome and Molybdenum. Not Chrome lined.

2) National Match front sight. Covered above.

Jonathan
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:12:18 PM EDT
[#5]
>>No. The barrels are made of an alloy of steel with Chrome and Molybdenum. Not Chrome lined.

So, as far as durability, are these better or worse than mil-spec chrome lined barrels?
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:59:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got the Model 1 Sales M4 collapsible stock. It is not a 6-position stock. It is 4-position just like the CAR. I like the M4 look better, I also do not like the sling slot on top of the CAR. The M4 has a larger butt surface than the CAR from what I can tell.

It is a $30 upgrade on a kit. Might or might not be worth it depending on the individual. Although it is a 4 position, it is a really sturdy and tough stock. Not flimsy at all like some old fixed collapsables that were a lighter guage of plastic.

I also like the sling loop at the very bottom. I use that type of sling, rather than a tactical style. It is also adjustable to be fixed to either side, or straight down.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:15:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I just got a Model 1 kit with M4 collapsible stock.  Overall the quality was pretty good... functions perfectly.  

The only gripe I have is with the M4 buttstock.  It has some kind of odd bulky stamped sling loop (which doesn't matter, I never use those anyway) and the finish is already rubbing off the extension tube... refinishing that will fix the problem and tighten it up a little.  Overall it's functional (a little more rattle than my RRA) but not as quality as a RRA 6 pos M4 buttstock.

Scot  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top