Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 11:23:47 PM EDT
Seen the Yankee Hill front sight post today.. At local gunshop ...
Was un impressed. Reason being is that I didnt like the lil set screws at the bottom of this device. Has anyone used this flip up front site post? How do you feel about the rigidity and continuity when attached to the bbl.?

At the underside of this sight were two lil set screws that basically clamps this sight to the bbl..
is it me or will this suffice?? I wonder?

Also with the PRI it seems to at least have a set screw option which again im not crazy about.. However the set screws are utilizing the taper pin holes if im correct.. I would think that it would be alot more sturdy than this Yankee Hill sight. anyone have experience so they can input on this subject? I did a search and was unable to find a like post..
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:30:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:40:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Dude, get the PRI!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:30:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I cant even find them..(PRI) Are they all on backorder?? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the set screws PRI, wish I got the clamp model though, installation should be easier IMO..
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Was un impressed. Reason being is that I didnt like the lil set screws at the bottom of this device. Has anyone used this flip up front site post? How do you feel about the rigidity and continuity when attached to the bbl.?

At the underside of this sight were two lil set screws that basically clamps this sight to the bbl..

Also with the PRI it seems to at least have a set screw option which again im not crazy about.. However the set screws are utilizing the taper pin holes if im correct.. I would think that it would be alot more sturdy than this Yankee Hill sight. anyone have experience so they can input on this subject? I did a search and was unable to find a like post..

That's only if the taper pin holes were drilled to the exact placement of the PRI set screws, which in most cases does not happen.  The PRI set screw design was intended for barrels that have flats.  Now you have a surface perpendicular to the screws for better securing.

If you really think about it, most gasblocks use two set screws on the bottom of the block as well.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's only if the taper pin holes were drilled to the exact placement of the PRI set screws, which in most cases does not happen.  The PRI set screw design was intended for barrels that have flats.  Now you have a surface perpendicular to the screws for better securing.

If you really think about it, most gasblocks use two set screws on the bottom of the block as well.  

This is incorrect.  My PRI front sight does not line up with the taper pin holes at all yet the set screws grip securely in the bottom half of the taper pin holes and then are pressed up against the metal at the bottom of the barrel where the hole is.  I dont know if that makes sense but the set screws are a half screws width lower than the taper pin holes.  The material missing from the bottom of the barrel acts like flats.  The flats are in fact the bottom edge of the taper pin hole and its a very small amount of material to grip but it is very secure.

This probably makes no sense at all....
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Devl

I think what I hear  you saying is this.
Although it has been 10 years since I removed a sight base... I somewhat recall that the taper pin holes wer not solidly through the bbl. meaning that the holes drilled left a small amount of material missing as a whole where the pin is drilled.. Thus the pins are not wholey in the bbl.. Just partly..Pins would of course be partialy exposed if  looking down at the bbl laying upside down vertically.. Hope this is making sense?

Ok so what your saying is that the set pins when torqued downward from the bottom will seat into these slants created by the drilling of the taper bins of the bbl.. Does that make sense??

i tried to break all that down as best i could hope i didnt confuse anybody. Is this correct sir??

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had both PRI and YHM folding front sight/gas block units.

Both work just fine. Remember, they are just BUIS and will probably never be used.

I settled on the YHM because I needed 3 of them and the price difference was enough for me to offset the as of yet quantified "superior quality" of the PRI unit.

But you won't relly know till you test out both for yourself and see which most fits your needs.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the flip up front site from YHM.  It works well enough but isn't as "pretty" as the PRI site.

I believe they attach the same way or similar.
If you are not careful, you can cant the front site.  You have to press the release button and fold it up and make sure it locks into place.  

If I could do it again, I would go with the PRI site.  I likethe hooded site.

I have new one still in the package if you are interested.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#11]

If I could do it again, I would go with the PRI site. I likethe hooded site.

I HATE the hooded sight! Another reason to go with YHM!

Unlike the hooded circular front sight on the HK series, the PRI front sight post is never exactly in the middle of the circle (in terms of elevation). That can throw you off under stress if you try to center the front hood circle in the rear aperture. Bad ju-ju.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:32:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I have installed both sights and have found neither one perfect, both have issues that are mostly cosmetic and can justify the likes or dislikes.

Both can be canted if not installed correctly either way, check your work.

Both are good options for barrel mounted gas block flip up BUIS.

Both sights require that Blue lock tight needs to be placed on the set screws to assure that the screws do not back out.

The set screws will not index in the cuts with barrels that have had taper pins prior on standard barrel contours.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Storm_Tracker, not sure if you'd seen the GG&G flip-up front sight -- the price is about the same as the PRI.  It doesn't appear to use set screws.  Anyone use one of these?

GG&G Flip-up Front Sight
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Yankee hill sucks. I have a loose rear sight. Called them and sent emails. No response.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:29:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I havent seen one. got a link? Im brain dead. this forum has sooo much info. .. You can truley get lost in here.. Im sure there are some AR forum widows out there... lol
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I love my YHM flip up. Excellant quality at a fair price. Zero problems so far and I don't expect any.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yankee hill sucks. I have a loose rear sight. Called them and sent emails. No response.

I think you will find your opinion and experience a minority here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you will find your opinion and experience a minority here.

Agreed!  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:43:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Devl

I think what I hear  you saying is this.
Although it has been 10 years since I removed a sight base... I somewhat recall that the taper pin holes wer not solidly through the bbl. meaning that the holes drilled left a small amount of material missing as a whole where the pin is drilled.. Thus the pins are not wholey in the bbl.. Just partly..Pins would of course be partialy exposed if  looking down at the bbl laying upside down vertically.. Hope this is making sense?

Ok so what your saying is that the set pins when torqued downward from the bottom will seat into these slants created by the drilling of the taper bins of the bbl.. Does that make sense??

i tried to break all that down as best i could hope i didnt confuse anybody. Is this correct sir??

Thanks

Yes but one hole is covered by a small amount of metal and one is not but yes you get the point and yes its mounts solidly.

Also to the person who says the circle is bad because the front sight post is never in the middle of the rear aperature...

I sight the sight in with the front hood in the middle of the rear aperature and put the front sight post to the POI.  That means my rifle is sighted in when the hood is centered in the rear aperature and NOT when the front sight post is centered in the rear aperature.  Therefore, under stress I overlay the two circles and the bullet strikes at the top of the NOT vertically centered sight post.  Because I use a consistant nose to charging handle cheekweld this works as well as if the front sight post were centered instead of the front aperature.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top