Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 1:26:34 PM EDT
I am attaching a collapsable stock to my carbine on the 13th, but I do not have the fanancial resources to replace the permanently attached KKF A3 Tacbrake on the end of my 14.5" barrel.

I do, however, have a dremel tool.  

Since it is the relatively small hole in the end forcing the gasses out the sides that gives me both the recoil compensation and creates the increased noise, I would like to simply enlarge this hole in the front face of the brake, leaving perhaps 1/8-1/16 of an inch from the edge of the hole to the outer edge of the brake.  Then I would touch up the newly bare metal up with Alumahyde or grill paint.  The resulting device would no longer be a true "brake" obviously, but would also lose the increased blast and noise effect, allowing this rifle to be better used in a home defense-type situation with less of a chance of permanent hearing damage.  

This would probably be only a temporary fix until I get together the money for a new muzzle device.  It just bugs me that between installing the A3 and installing a new muzzle device, I'd have spent enough money to buy a NEW barrel from Bushmaster!  

Two questions, then:
1.  Is this a bad idea?  Is there a possible negative side-effect to performing this modification that I have overlooked?

2.  I also realize that enlarging the hole is not going to give the ex-brake much of a "flash-hiding" ability without the conical shaped interior, but do you think I'll get any?

TIA
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Enlarging the exit hole slightly is supposedly (gleaned from reading about it here--where else?) a way to bring down the noise level of the much-hated mini-Y comp, so I don't see why it wouldn't work on yours, too.

Just a guess, but I would think that the larger the exit hole, the better the flash-suppressing effect, although it probably won't amount to much.
Top Top