Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2004 5:38:45 AM EDT
Okay guys,

With the impending end of the AWB I have taken an interest in aquiring a new SPR style upper.  Most all the ones I see sport the Opps brake.  This brake resembles the AK style comp I had on an old post ban Bushmaster.  That brake was ear splitting loud and made my shooting buddies very displeased with me.  

So now that it looks like the ban is going to sunset and I will be able to employ a flash hider, why do I have this compulsion to put an Opps brake on my future SPR?  

Regards,

Gary
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:28:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an ADCO made fake Ops Inc brake on my SPR and I don't think it is too loud.  I even accidently shot it once with an earplug improperly seated in my ear and while my ears were ringing, I still didn't think it was all that loud.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:34:32 AM EDT
[#2]
You can't purchase their can so why the brake? You can purchase the top three FH for thr price of the brake. Get a flash hider to hide your position. May not look as cool but return fire should be less of a problem. Just my opinion. -Justin
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:51:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Get a flash hider to hide your position.

It is my understanding that flash hiders eliminate flash from the shooter and not from downrange enemies.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Whats easier to locate, a half dollar size flame or a beach ball sized flame?  My Vortex damn near eliminates all flash from rear & sides. I have never been in front when firing. Thats all I am trying to get @. Not as bad as bare muzzle but here come the spots. -Justin

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=198683

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I would look for a more effective brake.  Ops makes a brake that IMHO functions better for muzzle climb.  You could also go with a Miculek brake which I hear works fantastic.  I personally don't care about making my gun look like something it's not, with a muzzle device that I can't truly utilize (i.e. for the can).  I'd much rather have a standard threaded barrel so I can attach a suppresor that I CAN buy.

If I ever get around to building a long-range scoped AR (SPR/SAM/LMNOP) I'll be using one of these
Ops Brake
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#6]

That brake is the heart of the no longer available ADCO fake brake.  They basically machined the front set of ports off and machined a slip on, nonfunctional thread protector to finish the look.  That's what I have on my SPR, but coolness factor aside, that's what was on the barrel when I bought it from a member here.  I feel some muzzle brake effect from it and, to me, it isn't obnoxiously loud.  As ICU noted with his link, ADCO has a new, functional brake in the works.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#7]
No one is gonna mention MSTN's new brake...?

From everything I've read here it looks incredible (if you're looking for a brake, that is).
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I just got an A1 birdcage put on my JTAC spr.  He uses alot of those Ops 4 port like the picture and seems to like them.  I've never been interested in brakes as my guns are competion guns or post ban guns so I always stuck with flash hiders.  What ever you do please don't get faux stuff like ADCO's brake.  That is just retarded in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Lumpy dont do muzzle brakes and Lumpy aint going to be able to own an Ops Inc suppressor any time soon......therefore Lumpy dont do Ops Inc muzzle brakes.

Quite frankly I agree.  I might do something like the MSTN brake if I were heavy into 3 gun matches and had a competition upper.  But I tend to favor real world equipment and not "competition" setups.

It's flash suppressors for all of my stuff come 9/14.

If in the market for a brake however, I'd really suggest you doing a quick search for MSTN's new brake.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#11]
This is the pic that got me liking the brake idea.  Think this upper would look the same with a Vortex?

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
... Think this upper would look the same with a Vortex?

No, but it would work better.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I tend to favor real world equipment and not "competition" setups.

Obviously I have no idea what you do for a living, but for 99% of the members here, competition IS the real world.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Obviously I have no idea what you do for a living, but for 99% of the members here, competition IS the real world.

To be honest with you, my professional injuries tend toward the papercut variety.

But when I "compete" in IDPA, I do it as training.  I don't care what my time is, but I want to run it with good "real world" tactics.  And I run equipment that makes sense in the real world.  I don't want to make "gamesmanship" mistakes if I need those skills in real life.

The same would apply with 3 gun.  Meaning no special competition uppers, but gear that would be appropriate for more serious work.

I've been competitive at various sports in my life, but shoot isn't it.  It's something I do for enjoyment and training.  Shooting is a hobby that could someday have real world applications.

Corey

EDITED for typo.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:29:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
OUr new QC, "Quiet Control" brakes were designed to do several things:

1-   Be neutral. No muzzle jump or nosedive, reduced recoil, minimized walking
2-   Be quiet. No muffs or double plugging, comfortable with earplugs only, even to bystanders.
3-   Be accurate. Minimal POI shift, reduced gas turbulence at muzzle
4-   Be as small and light as possible, while meeting 1, 2, & 3.

While these are all assets to a competition brake, they are also important for fighting weapons.  We did extensive full-auto testing during the prototyping phase and the QC is one of, if not the most controllable muzzle devices we have seen. The 6.8 version tames the 6.8SPC full-auto, not a trivial task.

Putting as many rounds ON TARGET as quickly as possible wins matches, including the two-way ones where the targets shoot back.  A growing number of military units have noticed, and are doing their own testing on these without solicitation from us.  In the competition world, we saw our guy, Taran Butler, win every match he entered this year, all using the QC Brake (on MSTN-built uppers).  We could not have a better advertisement than that.

Is this gizmo available yet?  Got pics?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
photos.imageevent.com/smglee/mstn/large/1_QCBrake.jpg

$79.95 PLUS $8 FEDEX.

Ah, that one!  I didn't realize it was the same one.  Kinda similar visually to the Miculek.  How's it perform compared to the Miculek?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Putting as many rounds ON TARGET as quickly as possible wins matches, including the two-way ones where the targets shoot back.  

You know, it's hard to argue against that point!

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#20]
How are the QC brakes, compared to a naked muzzle? Are there any published dB readings yet?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top