Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 4:53:38 AM EDT
I currently own two post ban AR-15's.  One is an off the shelf  Bushmaster Target Twenty with the standard stock that came with the rifle.  The other is an M4-gery that has an ACE non-collapseable post ban skeleton stock on it.    I would like to install a collapseable stock on both these rifles either a Crane or a VLTOR.  So here are my questions:

1.  How difficult is this to do?
2.  What special tools do I need?
3.  Other than the stock itself, what else do I need to buy (new buffer etc.)

Thank you all in advance.

Regards,

Gary

Legal disclaimer:  This transformation will only be done upon the sunset of the 1994 AWB and not one second before  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Directions are at the bottom of this page; ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the link.  Still outstanding remains the question of will my existing buffer tubes work with these telescoping stocks or will I need new parts?

Regards,

Gary
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Taken from the above link... HTH.

These are the parts you need: telescoping stock, buffer extension, backplate, locking ring, buffer spring, buffer

You can re-use the following parts from your current rifles: takedown pin, takedown pin spring, takedown pin detent, retainer, retainer spring

-Randy

ETA:  The only tools needed are a screwdriver and wrench to remove the old stock and a CAR stock wrench to install the new stock.  Pretty simple and straightforward operation.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Still outstanding remains the question of will my existing buffer tubes work with these telescoping stocks ...

No. You'll need the full assemblies, the receiver extension, buffer, and buffer springs are all different than the A1/A2 assemblies.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:55:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Lon_Moer, there are easier ways to repeat what I said.  You can simply post "+1", or you can save some typing effort if you just hit the "QUOTE" button in my response, like this...

Quoted:
These are the parts you need: telescoping stock, buffer extension, backplate, locking ring, buffer spring, buffer

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Just order a full kit from JTAC Supply.  I just got a VLTOR Clubfoot and had him install it for me.  If you contact him I'm sure he would be willing to install it for you if you send him your lower.  You would be out shipping but it would be installed by a professional.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the replies guys.  Maverick, that may be a good course of action.  Shipping a lower is only a few bucks Fed-Ex ground.  Did that firm charge you for the install?

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I sent you an IM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top