Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 3:37:36 AM EDT
is this a good idea or not?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:04:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope, sorry it's not.  The chrome is likely to flake or "peel" afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:17:34 AM EDT
[#2]
ADCO Firearms has done many, many, many without the flaking problems.  Ask them about it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:31:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I have cut down a Fal chromed lined barrel and not only has it not flaked off (after 500 or so rounds)the accuracy has improved by about 1 inch at 100 yards.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Had mine done @ ADCO. Accuracy improved for some reason, BH maybe? Anyway several K later no peeling, flaking, etc. -Justin
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#5]
No problems cutting and recrowning a chromelined barrel.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok I stand corrected.  I based my lousy statement off of some websites who state they will not cut and crown chrome lined barrels.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Shitty gunsmiths will result in flaking and peeling.

ADCO and Kurts Kustoms will do just fine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Shitty gunsmiths will result in flaking and peeling.

ADCO and Kurts Kustoms will do just fine.

Even shade tree gunsmiths like me can do it without any flaking.  I think the shops who say they won't do them are either guessing that it won't work or they're concerned that the chrome will shorten the life of their cutters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top