Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2004 10:02:46 PM EDT
I am looking for a rail hand guard for my carbine.  I have looked at the Knights, and the SIR rails.  I have the 14.5 barrel with a soldered flash hider so I cannot use most free float rails.  I looked at a GG&G and I  like that the top lines up with my A3 upper with no gap.  I have not heard much about the GG&G rails, but I like the idea.  I like that you can mount the rails where you need them and not where you don't.  It seems unique and I like it, but I wondered if anybody has any experience with them.
Link Posted: 7/10/2004 10:35:03 PM EDT
[#1]
A few folks around here have used them with good results, but they haven't been as popular as other offerings.  Personally, I think they fill a niche, and I plan on buying one for my next project.  They're more configurable than any other option, I think.
Link Posted: 7/11/2004 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Too many damned screws for me.  I like GG&G's products, their rail handguard's versatility comes at a price though.
Link Posted: 7/11/2004 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 4:54:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Take a look at the TROY MRF-C. I think it is a better setup than the GG&G...

C4

www.gandrtactical.com

Why?
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 5:10:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 5:22:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I personally feel the GG&G has a fit and feel that is every bit as nice as any other forearm.  My advice is to actually handle and look at it before deciding.  You'll be sold.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I personally feel the GG&G has a fit and feel that is every bit as nice as any other forearm.  My advice is to actually handle and look at it before deciding.  You'll be sold.

Unfortunately that never seems to happen.  Finding a dealer that's local that has all that kind of stuff in stock is pretty rare.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Grant,
I have to agree.  My one order with them was a nightmare.  First I was told it had shipped, then I was told they could not find my order and it had never shipped!  No real apology, just excuses that I'm a small time guy and they have larger customers they have to deal with.

I would be very hesitant to ever deal with them again!

GIFFMANN
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Until the Troy MRF came along, the GG&G rail was the only one of its kind.  I have one, and I like it.  It's well built and very solid.  I can see where the screws might be an issue if you're constantly adding/removing panels and rails.  But for me, once I decided where I wanted my sling mount, light and vertical foregrip, I've never had to move the rails.  Just be sure to get some loctite for the screws.

Take a look at the Troy MRF.  It may suit your needs as well.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone have any pics of the Troy rail installed?

Is it true it doesn't require removal of the front sight?
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is a pic of my LMT upper with an MRF-CX:

This is an MRF-X from the Troy website:

Also, if you do a search for Troy you will find a few threads from the last month that have a bunch of pics.

GIFMANN
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is it true it doesn't require removal of the front sight?

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Does the troy rail offer rails in all clock positions?
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, it has rails in all 4 clock positions.

Link Posted: 8/3/2004 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yes, it has rails in all 4 clock positions.

Well the GG&G offers rails in all 12 clock positions.  I just wish that someone else would offer something just as flexible.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 3:27:46 PM EDT
[#20]
The GG&G forend can mount rails in 8 clock positions (octogonal).  It should be noted, however, that you may not be able to use adjacent mounting positions.  For example, you can't mount a vertical foregrip at 6:00, and light at 4:30 - there isn't enough room.  There are ways around this though:  use the provided offset rail; or mount the vertical grip on the rear half of the forend, and the light on the front half.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#21]
actually with the offsett mount, you can achieve all positions (octagonal plus 4 offset positions).  It's true about the adjacent positions but the sheer flexibility of the forearm had me sold.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 11:09:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Aaah.  I wasn't thinking about the additional positions with the offset rail.  12 it is!

Here are some pics to make this thread a little more "fair and balanced."

Link Posted: 8/4/2004 8:44:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I have the GG&G rail system and I love it. It is by far, the most versital rail system you can buy.  on top of that, it is FF and very strong. I got mine from ADCO when I ordered my RRA from them.
My set up uses the one piece, long rail on top, a short rail on the bottom mouted back to the mag well. (for the vert grip) and the off set rail at 4 o'clock, mounted forward toward the sight. (for the Surefire) all the other grip panels and rails are removed to save weight.
I keep looking at other rails for my next build, but the more I think about a different rail, the more I come back to the GG&G. Unless I need a really light weight rail like DD, I will stick to the GG&G.
And FWIW, DEALER customer service may suck, but they have always been very helpful to me when I have called them. And I have not had any problems with my rail, only questions about mounting options and other products they have. YMMV Here's mine:
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 8:48:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have the GG&G rail system and I love it. It is by far, the most versital rail system you can buy.  on top of that, it is FF and very strong. I got mine from ADCO when I ordered my RRA from them.
My set up uses the one piece, long rail on top, a short rail on the bottom mouted back to the mag well. (for the vert grip) and the off set rail at 4 o'clock, mounted forward toward the sight. (for the Surefire) all the other grip panels and rails are removed to save weight.
I keep looking at other rails for my next build, but the more I think about a different rail, the more I come back to the GG&G. Unless I need a really light weight rail like DD, I will stick to the GG&G.
And FWIW, DEALER customer service may suck, but they have always been very helpful to me when I have called them. And I have not had any problems with my rail, only questions about mounting options and other products they have. YMMV Here's mine:
www.hunt101.com/img/143599.jpg

That's basically what I was thinking, that I can remove the rails I don't need.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I ordered my rail system from GG&G at a gunshow, back in October.  Of course, it wasn't out yet.  I waited 3 months for it.  Whenever I called, I always got good service and they were helpful.  Recently I've called and ordered parts to add to my rail.  I have had my rail for 7 months now and I haven't had any problem with screws.    
Here's mine:

Link Posted: 8/4/2004 11:02:17 AM EDT
[#26]
I'll post pics of mine soon.  I hated the wait but what when I did recieve it, I was impressed.  The versatility and ease of changing configurations is simply amazing.  Glad to see  that everyone enjoys their G&G forearm as much as I do.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#27]
So if the dealers all hate dealing with them, who DOES sell these things, and does anyone have them in stock?
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
We've sold quite a few of the GGG mod rails and have had excellent results and feedback from them.  We use them on our main demo rifle.  Ours is getting pretty beat up and we have had no instances of the screws backing out.

Jeff

Norman74,
try these guys. If CMMG does not have them then maybe ADCO does. However, ADCO is closed for a week while they are at Camp Perry.
Be sure to post pics when you get yours.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 7:15:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#30]
SEE!
Thanks Jeff, soon we will convert them all....

Link Posted: 8/5/2004 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#31]
I will agree that the customer service leaves something to be desired...they answer their phones great but the waiting times for a new product are often longer than they let on.  Personally, I've gotten rather spoiled with the GG&G forearm and can't see going to anything else.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 8:31:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Jeff,
About the GG&G  1. Do Tango down covers work on it?  Do Tangos work on all major brand rails?  2.  All the pics I have seen have the round disk just behind the front sight, forgive my ignorance, is this called a "handguard receiver".  All the other rail pics Troy, Larue, DD have this removed.  Does this assembly get milled off or is it pinned?  I think it looks cleaner missing.  3. This may sound stupid, but have any of you weight crazy guys done any scaling with this rail system, I don't think I have seen any.  Any weights with bare minimum rails installed?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 6:25:13 AM EDT
[#33]
I like mine and nothing has come loose on it.  My only observation is that some folks may not want all that modularity, but like the way it attaches to the barrel.  

That is why I also find the Troy handguard appealing.

Will the Troy HG system be offered for a 20" barrel?  I am in for one if that is available now or in the next year.

Here are eight pics of my GG&G rail.
photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/ThumbnailView.asp?iGalleryUnq=1423

Here's all the pieces
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Omar, those are GREAT pics. Thanks for posting the link!
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 9:24:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 9:53:22 AM EDT
[#36]
So... I'm in the market for a FF rail forend for my M4. What I'm wondering is with all of those screws... doesn't that just increase the chance of the rail shifting? I will be mounting an eotech 552 on this rail so I'm concerned about that. As of right now the front runner is the Troy MRF-C (standard M4 FF). I'm also considering holding on because the MRF is a new product and I'm wondering if an improvement will come out soon. I remember reading a thread on someone altering their SPR rail to tighten it up.

Also... recently just made my first order through Adco... you guys are VERY fast! Thank You!
The package was on my doorstep before the USPS acknowlegded receiving it. Kind of defeats the purpose of a tracking number, but I was pleasently surprised.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#37]
IM CURIOUS,DOES ANYBODY ON THIS THREAD KNOW THE DIAMETERS OF THE G,G AND G HANDGUARD VERSUS THE TROY,I LIKE BOTH BUT THE TROY LOOKS ALOT BIGGER THAN THE GG AND G.     THANKS
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll take some measurements and post them when I have a chance.

Update:
OK, here's what I have on the GG&G Modular Forend:
width with panels on each side:  2.587"
width with rails on each side:  2.472"
height with rails on top and bottom:  2.448"
I don't have panels on the top of mine, so I don't have top to bottom measurements for that.
The width measurements with panels include the ribs or ridges, the "tallest" parts of the panel.
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#39]
thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Grant,
I have to agree.  My one order with them was a nightmare.  First I was told it had shipped, then I was told they could not find my order and it had never shipped!  No real apology, just excuses that I'm a small time guy and they have larger customers they have to deal with.

I would be very hesitant to ever deal with them again!

GIFFMANN

Yep, same thing happened here. My first order and probably my last; jerked me around. "back ordered.......end of the month, next week, in a few days, on its way, give a few more days, oops - didn't ship" BS.  I finally spoke to a real nice lady in shipping that knew what the heck she was doing and got my part to me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Does the GG&G forearm have some type of retaining system to keep it from rotating around the barrel nut, like the Troy MRF does?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#43]
I agree with you SKD! $225 buys a lot ! I have had mine over a year and a half now. I still believe it is the best value going. GG&G does some really good work and it is like nothing else out there. The modularity sells this thing and the quality sells a few more.
Has anyone heard about a 12" or 9" version coming out?
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:11:34 AM EDT
[#44]
How much does it weigh
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 5:26:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:04:06 AM EDT
[#46]
My next build is a mid length and I'm interested in this hand guard if GG&G decides to build it.  I have this and the YHM carbine handguards.  I prefer the GG7G hands down to the YHM, although the YHM works as advertised.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top