Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2004 2:37:08 AM EDT
This is kind of embarrassing to ask but I really don't understand this. How is a free float tube different from a regular handguard? I understand it somehow "floats" the tube, but what does that mean and how exactly does it do this compared to a regular handguard? I've heard that the advantage is that pressure from your hand is not transferred to the barrel which increases accuracy, are there any other advantages or disadvantages? Excuse my ignorance. I just haven't seen any explanation of this.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 4:25:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Your regular HGs are held in place by the Delta ring and the front HG cap, so they are attached by spring pressure from the Delta ring. The front HG cap being attached directly to the barrel is where MOST of this hand pressure manifests itself.

A DCM/CMP free-floated HG has ONE attachment point and that is at the barrel nut area or front of the upper receiver with a tube that extends forward up to BUT NOT TOUCHING the front HG cap. Any hand pressure on the FF HG is directed back to the upper receiver via it's attachment point thereby adding NO external force to the barrel, FSB or front HG cap.

Advantages generally are better accuracy, more consistent barrel "whip" resulting in tighter groups.
NO sling or hand pressure excerting tension to the barrel pulling off your POI.

Dis-advantages, the added weight, which in DCM/CMP service rifle competition may NOT be all that big of a disadvantage as added weight can make for a more consistent "hold".

Hope this is some help,
Mike
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:51:57 AM EDT
[#2]
very helpful. thank you
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's another newbie having another newbie questions about FF HGs.

1) Can I install a FFHG on a barrel assembly with front sight base (FSB)? Or a FFHG could only be installed on  barrels with gas blocks (so called bull barrels)?

2) While building the rifle, install gas tube prior to FFHG or FFHG prior to gas tube?

3) Since the FFHG only attaches to the rifle at the joint of barrel and upper receiver, the front side of FFHG is really floating. Is it really a good idea to install bipod, sling ring or fore grip on FFHG? Is the FFHG strong enough to support such accessories so that it won't bent or shake???

TIA
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

1) Can I install a FFHG on a barrel assembly with front sight base (FSB)? Or a FFHG could only be installed on  barrels with gas blocks (so called bull barrels)?

Yes, but you'll have to remove the FSB and any muzzle brake or FS. It's done all the time.

2) While building the rifle, install gas tube prior to FFHG or FFHG prior to gas tube?

The gas-tube comes off with the FSB and goes back on along w/ the FSB, after the FF tube is installed.

3) Since the FFHG only attaches to the rifle at the joint of barrel and upper receiver, the front side of FFHG is really floating. Is it really a good idea to install bipod, sling ring or fore grip on FFHG? Is the FFHG strong enough to support such accessories so that it won't bent or shake???

TIA

Much ado about nuthin here, most FF systems KAC, Daniel Defense, PRI and other are very "stout" so adding a bipod or other items is NOT a problem.

FWIW, the ARMs S.I.R. systems will FF your barrel and come in "C" (civilian) models which require none of the above, there's also the KAC RAS II which will do the same, here's a #45 S.I.R. similar to the "C" model, albeit a "M" model, just to give ya an idea what they look like:

(pic courtesy of Pete-in-NH aka Legal Transfers, other pic can be seen of the RAS II etc. by perusing the EE AR New Parts forum.....)

Mike
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you! Your reply is really professional and knowledgeable.

M-U-S-T G-E-T A F-F-H-G......
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Depends entirely on which FFHG you purchase.

Generally gas tube is installed first.

3) Since the FFHG only attaches to the rifle at the joint of barrel and upper receiver, the front side of FFHG is really floating. Is it really a good idea to install bipod, sling ring or fore grip on FFHG?

That is the whole point of the FFHG - install the accessories on the handguard so their use doesn't throw off the point of aim (due to barrel deflection).

Is the FFHG strong enough to support such accessories so that it won't bent or shake???

If it wasn't strong enough would all those Soldiers, Marines, SWAT teams, and HSLD civilians be using them?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top