Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2003 7:38:46 PM EDT
What is the weight savings of turning down an M4 profile to a LW profile?  I will be having  a PRI front sight and a Vortex permanently installed so I am just trying to decide if it is worth it to go Light weight..
Opinions please?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I reccomend M4. In my experience, the difference in weight between the two will never be worth the huge difference in heating.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure what the weight savings is to the ounce, but go with the lightweight...the M-4 config is really nonsensical...are you gonna mount an M-203? The extra weight is just a waste...the whole heat dissipation issue comes from certain military units who mis-used the weapon- it is NOT a machinegun or SAW! It is an assault rifle!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#3]
IMHO

With a FF tube go LW - w/o stick with the M4

I find the 14.5" C8 type pencil bbl way to light all by itself.

Nice to hump though
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:58:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I am going with a SIR 58MOD so I might as well go LW since I'm not hanging anything from the barrel.
Still curious about the actual weight diff though.

Is the extra diameter at the front of the M4 really make a difference in heat dissipation?  
Mine will be purely semi-
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:29:38 AM EDT
[#5]
This may help ya decide on "weight" issues: [url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/weightinformation.msnw[/url]

Barrels weights shown at the bottom.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:29:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a 16" Colt 1/7 lightweight barrel in an A2 upper. Also have a Colt M4A3 16" 1/7 LE6920 upper. The pencil barrel feels much lighter and swings easier than the M4 barrel.
I suspect this is not so much due to the actual weight difference, but the balance, as the M4 puts more weight out there forward of the front sight.

Mick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top