Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2003 3:35:48 AM EDT
I have an SP1/M16 conversion inbound, and would prefer to use only large hole uppers for simplicity. I have an A2 upper inbound for it but was wondering if any flat top's had ever been made? Sure would be nice to have a full auto M4gery!

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 4:38:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Colt made some large hole flat top uppers, but they came as part of complete guns,,R6700s I think. You can find the uppers for sale once and awhile, or you can buy one of the rifles and part it out. BTW, one is for sale right now on gunbroker for $1200,,looks new.

Armalite made a few some years back, but quit doing so.

Daniel Defense Co. makes them right now, but they may need some fitting to your lower and the color match might not be perfect.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:07:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Gus, you and I think along the same lines. I'm doing the same with my SP1/M16 conversion when it arrives (hence my screen name). [:D] I already have a new 14.5" M4 barrel, Aimpoint ML2, and ARMS #40 BUIS. I still need to pick up a telestock (either Vltor or Magpul) and probably an ARMS SIR #45 and vertical grip.

Like Canters said, you basically have 3 choices. Colt made some large-hole pivot 6700s. Dennis Todd also converted some Colt M4 uppers to large hole (100 of them, I believe). Both of the options would be a little harder to find and pricey. I've seen the [b]stripped[/b] Colt flattops go for around $400. Your third option would be one of the Daniel Defense uppers. They are Les Baer A3 uppers that have been converted to large-hole pivot. More than likely this will be the route I will choose, as they can be had for a "mere" $225. I can always have the upper refinished if it doesn't match.

[url]http://www.danieldefense.com/store/cart.asp?catid=1[/url]

BTW, the website shows out-of-stock, but I spoke with them this week via e-mail and they DO have them. The website just needs updating.

Good luck in your quest.

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:25:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I just got some from Daniel Defense.  They drop in without fitting, but the color is not a true black.  It almost looks like there is a tint of brown in it.  At least it's not purple.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just got some from Daniel Defense.  They drop in without fitting, but the color is not a true black.  It almost looks like there is a tint of brown in it.  At least it's not purple.  
View Quote

What lower did you drop it into?
I have a SP2 lower I am thinking about putting this on.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#5]
It dropped in a Colt.  I don't know the model off hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top