Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2003 7:34:27 PM EDT
I looked at a Colt sp1 lower that had, what looked like pits or dents under the finish.

Is this normal for some of the older model Colts?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Not only not normal; not possible.  No parts on any Colt AR are cast; therefor no casting pits[:D]

Maybe a tool mark here and there, or a small ding from being tossed around during production (my own SP1 has a couple of those), or being banged up in some way after sale, but definitely not casting flaws.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:09:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply, I was trying to figure out if the lower had been refinished with new parts added, there were dings under the  black finish but all the other parts looked clean as a whistle.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:57:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I had an Armalite with what looked like "pitting" under the finish on the receiver. I believe even a forged part can demonstrate those kinds of irregularites, depending on how much care is given to final finishing.

Brewer
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#4]
If the finish color is indeed black, and it's an SP1, then it almost certainly has been refinished.  Colt didn't go to a black finish until after the end of the SP1 production run.  SP1s (and 2s) were the older greenish gray type color, much like WW2 parkerizing on steel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top