Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2003 2:09:51 PM EDT
I'm in the planning stages for my next upper.  I like the 16" barrel with the mid length gas port setup instead of the standard carbine length.  In my searching, it appears that Armalite and Rock River Arms are the only ones making such barrels.  For those who have them, which one do you like and why?

Ultimately, where I think this will end up is a 16" barrel, M4 configuration (because I like less weight under the handguards and 'cause I just like the look ), Daniel Defense free float handguard with KAC rails, and GG&G or PRI folding front sight/gas block.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]http://www.artifex.ws/images/carbine.jpg[/img]

RRA mid length, chrome lined barrel, DD 9" forearm.

Check out ADCO
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the Armalite because it's LW under the handguards where you'd have to get the RRA turned down but I think Steve @ [url=www.adcofirearms.com]ADCO[/url] will do this so it's six in one, half dozen in another.

If you can wait a little while I hear Daniel Defense will be coming out with their own 1:7 twist, 4150, extended feedramped, mid-length uppers sometime soon.  That's what I'm waiting for.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I really like my ARMALITE 16" mid upper a lot.
100%
But a 1/7" and 4150 vs. Armalites 4140?  Slight difference, but the twist is great.

Maybe wait.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.artifex.ws/images/carbine.jpg[/url]

RRA mid length, chrome lined barrel, DD 9" forearm.

Check out ADCO
View Quote

I LOVE that carbine.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Armalite, they been doing mid lengths longer than all the others combined. PRI front sight
and ARMS #58 mid length would top it off with the best of the best.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:53:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like the Armalite because it's LW under the handguards
View Quote

Just FYI...I was told that the Armalite Mid Length barrels were A2 contour under the handguards....About 3 months ago I received a Mid Length barrel from Armalite and it was a HBAR barrel...I called Armalite and asked WTF?  After talking to numerous people (at Armalite) that didn't know anything about an AR15 or any of the stuff that Armalite is selling, I talked to a tech who informed me that Armalite quite producting the A2 contour Mid Length barrels in Jan of 2003....I had to send my barrel to Kurts Kustom Firearms and have it turned down to A2 profile.

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Compass lake will make you what ever you like. I got a 18" mid length gas in Stainless with 1/8 twist pre ban.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Artifex,
I think you're rifle may have been the inspiration.  14.5" is too short, I don't like sacrificing the effective range.  I also find carbine length handguards too short if you want to  hang a flashlight or bipod off the barrel.

I'll check out Compass Lake and see if their barrels are better priced than a RR or Armalite plus a trip to Kurts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top