Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/18/2003 6:08:16 AM EDT
Anyone know if KAC is planning on introducing coyote brown rail covers?

At some point in the future I'd like to have one AR15 w/ coyote brown furniture, and would prefer the KAC rail covers over the Cav Arms variety.

TIA,

Corey
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:10:24 AM EDT
[#1]
One can only hope....
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:23:52 AM EDT
[#2]
What about KG Gunkote on the KAC panels? I think MSTN has good success with it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:01:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a set that are a darker brown than the standard tan. I'm not sure how they match up to cav arms stuff, or the new vltor stock. I'll post a picture tonigh if I can remember. I can't seem to find a verticle grip to match them though. I have a tan one, but it's much lighter than the "dark brown" rails. I have also heard KG Gun Kote on the KAC plastic works well.

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a set that are a darker brown than the standard tan. I'm not sure how they match up to cav arms stuff, or the new vltor stock. I'll post a picture tonigh if I can remember. I can't seem to find a verticle grip to match them though. I have a tan one, but it's much lighter than the "dark brown" rails. I have also heard KG Gun Kote on the KAC plastic works well.

View Quote

Is this a stock KAC panel?

If so I never knew KAC made any other color than black and OD.

Corey
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:07:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a factory KAC set of very light, pale tan.  It's almost white compared to Coyote.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I did a bit of research and found some pics of brown and tan KAC panels.

[url]http://www.quarterbore.com/kac/kacrasii.html[/url]

The pics of the original prototype RASII have what look to be a brown panel.

The pics of the ACOG equiped production RASII with green (I wouldn't call that OD...) vertical grip looks like they're OD??

And FYI I'm not inserting the images into this thread to try and save Quarterbores bandwidth.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Hell, no worry about my Bandwith as I have never come close to using 1/10th ow what I am allowed....

As for colors, I have seen black, tan, and OD but most of what I have seen or know about I learned or saw here....
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hell, no worry about my Bandwith as I have never come close to using 1/10th ow what I am allowed....

As for colors, I have seen black, tan, and OD but most of what I have seen or know about I learned or saw here....
View Quote

Cool!  Them I'm gonna fire them up!

I would presume that this is the brown:

[img]http://www.quarterbore.com/images/kacrasiif.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.quarterbore.com/images/kacrasiih.jpg[/img]

This looks like the OD.  (I've never liked the shade of OD on KAC's vertical grip -- it looks more like a green follower than true OD.)

[img]http://www.quarterbore.com/images/kacrasiie.jpg[/img]

That leaves the tan.  Does anyone have a picture of the tan?

Are brown panels still available?

Quarterbore, thanks for the use of your photo and hosting.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#9]
no, no brown panels available or I'd have them.  I'll post pics of the tan ones later.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#10]
As I recall, Wes at MSTN said the proper term for the green color is like "Marines green" or something along that line, not OD.  We can get them at the same cost as the black ones, he just wouldn't swap the black ones for the green if you buy a RAS from him, otherwise he'd end up with tons of black panels and foregrips, entirely understandable.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one of the brown panels..
The dealer ran out of tan so he gave me a brown one

Nah wait its darker then I remebered [>:/]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Instead of buying new, factory panels in your favorite color, why not just hit them with some spray paint....  It gets the job done and will cost you next to nothing to color a set of panels.  I've used Brownell's Alumna-Hyde with great success for this very purpose.  The camo version of the Krylon stuff also works well.  
Then again, I rig everything with rigger's tape and 550 cord, so maybe it's just me who does this.

--Keith
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Okay, tan KAC panel next to Vltor brown stock.
[img]http://sniper.rsvs.net/KACCoyote.jpg[/img]

I wish ones like Quarterbore has pictured were available.

The reason I don't paint is that I cut my panels to fit, and that will look like shit.  Plus it'll wear.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#14]
How is it that if you cut your panels and paint them that it'll look like shit?  If you prep them properly before hand and spray in light, even coats, you should have no problem.  Yes, it will wear, but what does that matter unless your rifle is just a safe queen?  On another aspect, there are too many variations in the color of dye used on the various parts by different companies.  If you want the same color on all the parts, this is probably your best bet.

--Keith
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Pictures as promised. Panels by KAC:
Black, Tan, the other Tan, and Green. Eagle Industries Coyote Brown Vest in background, SOE Holster and SOE mag pouch in OD. The carpet is Soft Taupe if that helps any [:D]. The part numbers on the packaging are the same for the two different colored tan's.
[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=72476&c=500&z=1"][img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/072476.JPG[/img][/url]

Another Picture:
[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=72481&c=500&z=1"][img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/072481.JPG[/img][/url]
I have four of each color, but the verticle grip only matches the lighter tan.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#17]
I recommend trying Rit Dye.
Get some brown Rit Dye, mix it with Hot water on the stove.
Soak tan panels.
Works on plastic lacrosse sticks.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm sure Wes is right, I took a closer look at the one of my darker tan panels and it had 2 black specles mixed in.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:16:11 AM EDT
[#19]
How'd you get that coyote brown vest?  I'm an Eagle dealer and they won't sell me coyote, they said it's Marine Corps only.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:56:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Has anyone following this ever actually Gunkoted a KAC panel or a grip? I have some gunkote and may be willing to try it but if the 300 degree for one hour curing treatment will melt the plastic I won't even attempt it. The only thing I have ever gunkoted that wasn't metal was a AK74 orange bakealite mag wich by the way did very well and suffered no ill effects and is still looking good today.

IPSC_GUY sends

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:02:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I could tell you, but I would have to....

I have an Eagle Industries Coyote brown  magazine dump pouch, in addition to the molle vest and double and triple mag pouches.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:20:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks everyone for the info and pics!

Corey
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:51:29 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm gonna try the rit dye thing. I'll post pics after I try it.

Is it like making tea - steep longer for deeper color?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Alright, now to be a real PITA-

TangoDown's front Pistol Grip, is expected to be an excellent PG.
Their storage pistol grip already is.  They'll be available in OD as well.
Anyone have a TD FPG to match up w/ the KAC rail panels in OD?

If their stuff matches KAC's then it'll match Vltor's OD.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#27]
welp...that didn't work.  Looks like mahogany.  Stand by for pic.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Original color on the right...

[img]http://sniper.rsvs.net/Oops.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Yikes that is mahogany or maybe plum... Well with all the interest in colored panels and the like, today I took a 2 rib KAC panel and stuck it in the oven at 300 degrees for an hour to see if it could stand up to the curing required for gun kote and Guess what? No melting or deformation what so ever. So in the morning I will Gunkote a vertical grip and three 11 rib panesl OD green as a test to see how well they stand up to abuse. I will let everyone know.

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#30]
What have I done?

I've created [b]Monster AR15.com[/b]!!

[:D]

Okay, now I feel compelled to move towards an OD setup!

And I agree with Sinistral Rifleman -- other companies (like CavArms and VLTOR) are wise to go with accepted colors.

Heck, I've even gotten a wild hair up my arsh and am half tempted to get a can of Bowflage!

Corey
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quiteshooter, what have you done?[%|] I'm glad you tried it before I did. Did you start with a black panel? Hurry up and paint that thing before I go blind![:D]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:47:15 AM EDT
[#32]
no, it was tan, just like the one on the right.

if some kind soul figures out a GunKote color that matches Coyote, I'd really appreciate it![:)]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:09:14 AM EDT
[#33]
According to Wes at MSTN, "Flat Dark Earth"

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/mstn/Mk12GRN1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:32:54 AM EDT
[#34]
ok, where do I buy it?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:12:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I spoke with Reed summer of 02 at Bragg.  He had a few of the Coyote rail covers but they only made a few as demo samples for the Marine Corps.  I tried to talk him out of a set but to no avail.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I spoke with Reed summer of 02 at Bragg.  He had a few of the Coyote rail covers but they only made a few as demo samples for the Marine Corps.  I tried to talk him out of a set but to no avail.
View Quote

GG,
How does one distinguish between Coyote, desert tan and Matt Johnson brown ?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
GG,
How does one distinguish between Coyote, desert tan and Matt Johnson brown ?
View Quote

after a day or so in the field, you don't. [:P]
cheers,
MM
p.s. GG, long time no talk.  howya doin?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I wonder if "dark earth" model paint would work on the KAC panels? Anyone have close up pics of the Cav Arms Coyote rail covers next to the Tan Vltor stock? I have the tan Vltor and am trying to paint/or buy rail panels that will match well.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:33:49 AM EDT
[#40]

The past week of downtime gave me a chance to order a can of Coyote Alumahyde from Brownell's.  Haven't sprayed it yet, but I have had good luck with it in other colors.  Except the OD is too light....
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The past week of downtime gave me a chance to order a can of Coyote Alumahyde from Brownell's.  Haven't sprayed it yet, but I have had good luck with it in other colors.  Except the OD is too light....
View Quote

Can you give me more info on the Aluma-Hyde Coyote...Is it Aluma-Hyde or Aluma-Hyde II and a part number if you've got it...I just ordered their OD and Brown, the brown is more like a standard brown than coyote.

Thanks

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Can you give me more info on the Aluma-Hyde Coyote...Is it Aluma-Hyde or Aluma-Hyde II and a part number if you've got it...I just ordered their OD and Brown, the brown is more like a standard brown than coyote.

Thanks
View Quote

It is Aluma Hyde II, and it says "Coyote" on the can.  Part number is 083-002-210.  They also have an "Earth Brown" and I was tempted to try that one as well.

[url]http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1117&title=ALUMA-HYDE+II&s=42939#42939[/url]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#43]
bsbg,

Thanks I ordered a couple cans about a month ago....I didn't check online, just used the catalog and all they had listed was the Earth Brown and the Coyote.....I just finished a VLTOR A1 Clubfoot stock, a bunch of KAC pannels, and will do a Tango Down Battlegrip when it arrives Monday or Tuesday for an upcoming project....

The OD came out looking pretty nice, somewhat close to the sage green on the avaitor jumpsuits and works quite well as does the true Coyote Brown in Souther Colorado....

If you use the Coyote on something please post pics.

Thanks,

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:20:34 PM EDT
[#44]
I would be interested in pics and what you used to match the Cav Arms Coyte Brown.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
bsbg,

If you use the Coyote on something please post pics.

Thanks,

View Quote

Well, I was going to wait for a Vltor and a Cav Arms Ergo grip before I did my RAS panels, just in case it doesn't match.  But, how would I know until I tried it...

So I sprayed an A2 grip just to see what it looks like.  I don't have a good comparison, but I'll post a picture tomorrow after it is dry.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:52:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
... FOR A D.O.D. CONTRACT EMPLOYEE.....
View Quote

I wonder how many "Contracts" the DOD gives out thee days?  

Great looking rifle like everything else you ever make Wes!
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#48]
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/077686.jpg[/img]
The tan panels are the same color.. its just the lighting but this is the brown I have..
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 2:27:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Nice Pics John!!! That RAS and panels are on my M-4. I got it done to match my tan Vltor and stock and Cav Arms ergo grip. I have to say it matches nicely. K2 does AWESOME work!! I pick up my "Dark Earth" Redi-mag later this week.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top