Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2003 5:19:10 PM EDT
What are the mechanics of a free floating system.Is it the hand guard sustem(remember I've never taken one apart).How do the differant "quad rail" system attach to the reciver and up by the front sight, and how does this differ from stock handguads?? After you have a free floating AR what does this do to affect accuracy.

"Are you going to grab those pistols, or
Whistle Dixie?"
Josey Wales
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#1]
If the hand guards do not touch the barrel, then it is free floating. Free floating increases accuracy since it does not allow deflection of the barrel do to hand pressures, bi pods, slings, etc. The harmonics of the barrel are not interupted by irratic outside forces, much like what happens if you touch or don't touch a tuning fork. Free floating also assists the barrel to disapate heat away faster. Since the heat is not directly traveling into the hand guards and then directly back, hence more air to cool and not having a traveling circle of direct heat, just radiant heat which is not as hot as direct heat. Dimentions of metal change, so a cooler barrel instead of an overheated one gives more accuracy and also longer life the the barrel.
Hope this helps a little.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks 3rdtk,
Then how does the stock hand guards attach to the AR and how does a Full Floating system attach differantly?
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Ah, don't you have an AR?
Jack
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Not for 4 months(Tax Time). Its forum members like you that keeps me from making unnessary
mistakes on first purchases. I was on mission to get a 1911, but I noticed a bigger hole existed in my toolchest. First things first.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#5]
The conventional original types are captivated by a front solid cap, and the rear of the hand guards are attached by a spring loaded ring (delta ring)that is pulled back to allow the hand guards to be installed or removed. Both the front and rear rings are attached to the barrel. Free float attach either by a spec. barrel nut that requires the barrel to be removed, or by attaching a rail/hand guard system to the reciver like the SIR system, and which I prefer.
Good shootin, Jack  
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#6]
The only interface is between the barrel and the receiver.  You have to replace the barrel nut with a special free float barrel nut, which the FF shroud mounts directly to.  The object here is that there is nothing pushing or pulling on the barrel forward of the receiver.  Swivels and bi-pods mount to the shroud and do not effect the barrel itself.  Hope this helps...
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes it does.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#8]
You do not have to replace the barrel nut on all free float systems. The ras 2 and non of the SIR's require a new barrel nut.
Jack
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You do not have to replace the barrel nut on all free float systems. The ras 2 and non of the SIR's require a new barrel nut.
Jack
View Quote

True, true.  Also true that they cost 3 to 4 times what a FIRSH or similar FF tube costs.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#10]
True, you get what you pay for.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
True, you get what you pay for.
Good shootin, Jack
View Quote

Right.  Anything that cost more than something else NATURALLY has to be better.  Everybody knows that.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep, unless ya buy a Prediturd.
Jack
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:17:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I went with KAC because I didn't like the feel of the FIRSH.  It was too big in my hand and when it was "extruded" the rails were not perfectly straight, making the rail covers uneven. Yes, it is cheaper but KAC makes a far superior product, IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top