Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2003 12:16:25 PM EDT
Hello. I was a member of this board a few years ago (had to re-register). I was living in the dreadful state of California for the past few years so I stopped visiting this board. But now I moved to the south with my wife so I can get back into this hobby :)

I currently have an Oly carbine. I was looking to get a new lower receiver for the rifle and put the original lower in storage (for legal reasons).
Question is should I buy a stripped lower and transfer the internals from my original, or should I pay the $50 extra and get a lower with internals installed and keep the original for spare parts??

I was looking at a Bushmaster lower, any other suggestions for lowers and maybe online retailers??

Thanks in advance  
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's only $50 extra why not save yourself the 2-3hours of work.  Plus the chance to scratch your lower.

lower completion kits are normally $65

Your extra lower can be an extra gun when you put an upper on it.

[b]That said I really don't get it. What is wrong with the old lower?[/b]
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#2]
What leagal reasons make you want to put a lower in the safe?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Hypothetically speaking, if an AR15 lower was already registered in CA (under the "assault weapon" law) then I 'believe' the lower cannot technically leave CA...

OK, looks like getting an assembled lower is the way to go. Any other suggestions/comments are welcome...

Thanks again
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 2:35:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Best place to get the parts is www.adcofirearms.com or www.georgiaprecision.com.  Prices and service are good at both, and I think they have the whole "lower parts kit" in stock right now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the links and info Dawg, much appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hypothetically speaking, if an AR15 lower was already registered in CA (under the "assault weapon" law) then I 'believe' the lower cannot technically leave CA...

OK, looks like getting an assembled lower is the way to go. Any other suggestions/comments are welcome...

Thanks again
View Quote

That's absurd.How come you hear of CA residents going to special dealers to sell their registered AR's to out of state people? I can't imagine CA would want assault rifles to stay in the state.I thought the whole idea of banning them was to keep them out?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Redbone, I may be wrong as I haven't reviewed the specific laws since I moved into the state a few years ago. But my understanding was/is that once you registered an "assault rifle" in CA before the deadline they imposed (don't remember the exact date/year anymore) you couldn't take it out of the state...they wanted you to sell the lower/rifle to an FFL dealer in CA or sell it back to the DOJ. I could be totally mistaken, I'll have to go back tonight or tomorrow and review their laws regarding assault weapons that have been registered in that state. For some reason I want to say there was a clause that stated if you registered your assault weapon in CA that it had to stay in that state, either with the original registered owner, or sold to an FFL dealer or the DOJ. My memory could be way off, so I'll have to review the law...

edited for late night spelling errors
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 3:18:43 PM EDT
[#8]
That's interesting Rob.  

I'll tell you what I did.  I took mine back to TX.  I was never a CA resident and I never registered it.  I also kept my TX residency when I was stationed there.  Fuck'em.  They can try and get it.  

Do you still claim CA as a residency?  I don't see how they can have any legal hold on you.  It is an interesting twist, though.

Jim
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's interesting Rob.  

I'll tell you what I did.  I took mine back to TX.  I was never a CA resident and I never registered it.  I also kept my TX residency when I was stationed there.  Fuck'em.  They can try and get it.  

Do you still claim CA as a residency?  I don't see how they can have any legal hold on you.  It is an interesting twist, though.

Jim
View Quote

Jim, I no longer claim CA residency as my wife and I moved to South Carolina where she is stationed this year. I tried to research the laws regarding this issue last night on the CA DOJ website, no go. There is a clause that states I can "cancel" my registration if I "lose" the weapon, "sell it to a CA FFL" or if it's "stolen"....nothing about moving out of state. I sent an email asking what the law is if I move out of state and want to take my registered AR with me, we'll see what they say...but for some reason during that registrationprocess I remember reading I can't take the registered 'assault rifle' out of CA once registered in that state (hope I'm mistaken). Regardless, I'll probably just buy a second lower so it'll give me an excuse to build a second AR (probably a Bushy). The one I have now is an older (2000) Oly PCR 5 with the SAAMI chamber...this is really hampering my ammo selection, as I can only use .223 for it from what I gather. Besides, if we ever have to go back to CA I can have one AR I can bring back with me legally as long as I don't cancel the registration on that particular lower.
I'll probably just call the DOJ on Monday because now I'm just curious more than anything

Rob  
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Your not a CA res. anymore so I would not give it a second thought though I dont know the law.  That seems pretty strange the CA government would track you down in SC for something like that.  Perhaps if you were still a CA resident and sold it out of state but.....?

I would think this lower you speak of would revert to being any old lower under the laws of SC............Weird!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top