Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2003 5:02:55 PM EDT
If I have a non-chrome barrel what am I
loosing??(gaining?)  So far I have been shopping(research) with a heavy emphasis on the barrel. Can one manufacturer's barrel fit on another manufactures upper? What does a stainless steel mean to me?

Oops, West Wing is on, I guess I'll have to go watch that great american patriot Sheen who stood behind our boys in the Middle East.He'd
make a good human shield
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Well chromelined gives you resistance to corrosion in the bore, easier extraction from the chamber, greater barrel life and easier cleaning.  There is no great reduction in accuracy either.  Price is the primary trade off.

Stainless is more corrosion resistant than regular non chrome lined chromemoly but not as corrosion resistant as hard chrome.  The only reason to get a stainless barrel is if you get a match grade barrel (Douglas, Krieger, etc) with .223 chamber and want to shoot tiny groups at the range.

If you want a target rifle get a match stainless barrel, if you want a defensive rifle get a chrome lined barrel and if you want a bare minimum cost plinker get a regular non chromed barrel.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I was just about to post this question.

My model1sales upper is presently on the way waiting to be attached to my RRA lower with NM trigger.

I am doing my upper on a budget, but i still have this lingering concern that I'll regret not having a chrome lined barrel/chamber.

Then again I see a lot of feedback saying that folks who bought kits from model1 and such are super happy.

For me, this is my entry level AR. On the lower, I spent a little more but I figure in a few years i'll have a little more cash, there might not be an AWB and I can get my perfect upper.

So does anyone have any real nightmare stories about non-chrome lined barrels? People bash em, but really, I can't see a problem. This isn't an M16 I'll be low crawling with and schleppin on a long FTX.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:05:35 PM EDT
[#3]
If your life wont be in danger if it jams I would just get whatever gets me the most fun for the dollar.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Devl, (this may sound bad)Can you put one manufacturer's barrel on another's upper. I am not seeing an over abundance of chromed 1/7 twists.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely, I like bushmaster barrels but I save money by buying non bushmaster uppers, and just put the Bushmaster chrome-lined barrels on. They work great!

I own both chrome-lined and chromoly barrels and to be completely honest (others MMV) both have been equally reliable. I can't say one performs better than the other with maybe a slight edge in accuacy going to chromoly.

[size=4]BUT[/size=4] and it's a big but [:)]. The hardest combat my rifles see are at the range and crawling around the praires hunting ground squirrels. My rifles are not subject to any of the abuse that chrome-lining is intended for. For most shooters chromoly is just fine. However if the SHTF, and I need my rifle to save my life, I'd grab a rifle with a chrome-lined barrel.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I have no opinion on this matter.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Chrome linning is also great for those who dont like to spend the extra time cleaning their bores.

Chrome lined barrels are highly tolerant of neglect and provide for an easy clean-up.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:51:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I have had a lot of chrome lined barrels, but the most reliable upper I have ever owned had an unlined Wilson barrel from J&T.

I think the difference in reliability for chrome is very minor, and how well your chamber is reamed has a bigger impact.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#9]
What climate will you be carrying in?  Near the sea?  Hot, humid summers?  Chrome is a must.  Cool, dry mountain air, desrt, not so much.  Rust.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Chrome lining can't be applied evenly, so it's a non-starter vs. Stainless Steel. US military procurement does a lot of things that aren't based on common sense, after all...
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 1:12:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Like I said, you wont notice a difference in non match chrome lined vs stainless non match barrels.  There are 1/2 MOA chrome lined sniper rifles.  Chrome lining is not the bugaboo people would have you believe.  Use any manufactueres upper and barrel combo you want.

1/7 barrels include:

Bushmaster 14.5" M4 and A2 20"
DPMS 14.5" and 16" M4
Colt 14.5" M4 and light weight, 16" HBAR and lightweight,  A2 20"

Im not sure if Colt has a 16" M4 1/7

All are 4150 steel but the DPMS has a cast front sight.

Link Posted: 10/24/2003 1:49:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Im not sure if Colt has a 16" M4 1/7
View Quote

I don't know if they sell it as an individual part, but my Colt M4 carbine has a 16" 1/7 chrome lined barrel.

Here is Colt's M4 barrel for a LEO carbine:

Part #: SA02003
Description: BARREL & FRONT SIGHT ASSY LE6920 1/7 M4 - 16in CHROME LINED

Link Posted: 10/24/2003 3:10:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Save the $ 50 , plus they are more accuate.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If your life wont be in danger if it jams I would just get whatever gets me the most fun for the dollar.
View Quote

???  I've never had a jam in 2000 rounds that can be attributed to my DPMSs non chromed chamber.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, save $50 on non-chromed.  Come back and whine in a couple weeks about all your FTE's, then do one of those moving, Im selling all my AR stuff (at a loss) and buying an AK threads.  And then post everywhere about how unreliable AR15s are because who wants to pay attention to what the United States armed forces have known for over 30 years.

I cant wait.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

???  I've never had a jam in 2000 rounds that can be attributed to my DPMSs non chromed chamber.
View Quote

Well thats not supprising.  Here are a list of things that are not needed if you maintain your rifle properly and get lucky.

Green Followers
Extended feed ramps
Wolf Extractor springs
Non set screw triggers
Chrome lined bore and chamber
Milspec carriers
Heavier buffers
+10% mag springs
USGI magazines
Milspec ammo with staked primers and sealant
Staked key on bolt carrier

None of these are NEEDED for reliability they just add a greater margin for error and if someones life relies on their rifle I would want most, if not all of the above items on my rifle.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah, save $50 on non-chromed.  Come back and whine in a couple weeks about all your FTE's, then do one of those moving, Im selling all my AR stuff (at a loss) and buying an AK threads.  And then post everywhere about how unreliable AR15s are because who wants to pay attention to what the United States armed forces have known for over 30 years.

I cant wait.
View Quote

[LOL][ROFL][LOL]
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Well thats not supprising.  Here are a list of things that are not needed if you maintain your rifle properly and get lucky.
View Quote

Well, since the only luck I have in my life is BAD, I must be maintaining my rifle properly.  Wait a sec, don't we ALL maintain our rifles properly?

P.S. - USGI magazines SUCK [i](IMHO)[/i].  British Steel all the way.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#19]
When you are in the Nam, your bore will rust up and jam your rifle, then the commies will come and kill you.[:D]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:24:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Chrome lining can't be applied evenly, so it's a non-starter vs. Stainless Steel. US military procurement does a lot of things that aren't based on common sense, after all...
View Quote

Huh?  I'm not sure i'm following you.  First of all SS rust, AFAIK chrome doesn't.  Chrome has a higher lubricity factor making extraction easier.  And if your talking about the myth (IMO) of how unevenly applied chrome detracts from accuracy you should take a look at this months American Rifleman which has an FN boltgun with chrome bore that turned in pretty fine groups.  Finally a far as DoD procurement goes there are a lot of things that don't make sense if you don't know all of the factors that go into a decision.

That being said regular maintainance and keeping a light coat of CLP on your bore should stop corrosion in all but the worst conditions and if you have a good chamber polish you shouldn't have any other problems either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top