Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2003 7:59:21 PM EDT
Im wanting to buy one, I just need some thoughts, pics and experinces with the vtor carbine stock before I buy. And as far as the Mag pull its a nice stock but can't justify the $250.
     Thanks FREE
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The VLTORs are awesome, great upgrade to a standard stock. Please make sure you have a Colt buffer tube before you buy. If you dont, you will need one, or one of the brand new VLTOR buffer tubes. These stocks will only fit on Colt or VLTOR tubes.

The VLTOR will feel wonderful to your cheek. The battery storage tubes really round the stock off and provide a whole new feel to the gun. The fact that you have waterproof battery storage is a huge plus for those of us who run battery dependant accessories. The plugs at the ends of the stoarge compartments can be a little hard to manipulate at times, but I suppose their being tight is part of what makes the waterproof.

The included rear QD sling swivel is also an excellent option, it prevent us from having to go and buy one like so many of us have in the past. All the holes molded into the stock leave future options, upgrades and additions wide open.

VLTOR is also a tight fit. I think they will probably loosen up a bit as time goes on, all of my stocks that were once a snug, solid fit have eventually loosened somewhat. I havent had my VLTOR for long enough to say if or when it will, but I suspect over time and use it will.

The Magpul stock is another great stock and if you can justify spending $100 or more on any one stock, the Magpul is easily worth what they ask.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Free I see you have a TA01NSN.  My experience with the Vltor and TA01NSN is mixed... The Vltor stock is every bit as good as new arguy said, but combine it with a short eye relief scope like the TA01 or TA31 I have to use the stock on its 2nd or 3rd position to fully take advantage of the great cheekweld it affords.  If it's extended all the way, my cheek feels the buffer tube.  This is by no means the fault of the stock, it's the scope.  If you use iron sights or Aimpoint, or something like TA11, they will complement each other very well.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:22:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I got my Vltor about 4 months ago. I waited because I wanted a Crain, but ARMS and LMT were taking too long so I jumped on the Vltor. I am SO VERY HAPPY I DID. At the time I bought it I had an original M4, the type II M4 stock and the Vltor. The Vltor is much more comfortable over the other two. I like everything about it except how it looks. Function over form, I can live with that. Everyone of the guys I work with like the feel of the Vltor over the standard M4 stocks on their department guns. The only draw back to using this stock is when you are wearing a gas mask. The battery compartments do get in the way depending on the mask design. Just and FYI.

Here is what my rifle looks like.
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/054105.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Love my Vltor.  Totally rattle free, rock solid.  The cheek weld is great, and comes into its own running one handed drills to similate the weak arm being down.

[IMG]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=24926&iGalleryUnq=235&iImageUnq=11432[/IMG]

[IMG]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=24926&iGalleryUnq=235&iImageUnq=12665[/IMG]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 10:22:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Haven't shot with it yet, and you can figure out why:
[image]http://www.boomspeed.com/kisara/KisaraRAS2parts.jpg[/image]
But I did put it one another carbine and the cheekweld is excellent.  Its very tight and rattle free, and a search here will turn up lots of positive feedback.   Some lucky members who have both like the expensive Magpul a little better.    

Since the photo was taken, I blacked out the sling swivel hole in back (too silvery for me) with Birchwood Casey "Aluminum Black".  Others (Lord Stoner?) have obtained the longer battery tubes from the rifle version and cut them down to fit the carbine stock, allowing 3 batteries instead of two.  

My VLTOR (and just about all the parts in the pic) came from [:D][url=www.mstn.biz]MSTN[/url][:D]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Dude, you havent put that together yet???

That'd take like 30 minutes [:D]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 10:35:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm out of beer.  Give me a day...
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Haven't shot with it yet, and you can figure out why:
[image]http://www.boomspeed.com/kisara/KisaraRAS2parts.jpg[/image]
But I did put it one another carbine and the cheekweld is excellent.  Its very tight and rattle free, and a search here will turn up lots of positive feedback.   Some lucky members who have both like the expensive Magpul a little better.    

Since the photo was taken, I blacked out the sling swivel hole in back (too silvery for me) with Birchwood Casey "Aluminum Black".  Others (Lord Stoner?) have obtained the longer battery tubes from the rifle version and cut them down to fit the carbine stock, allowing 3 batteries instead of two.  

My VLTOR (and just about all the parts in the pic) came from [:D][url=www.mstn.biz]MSTN[/url][:D]
View Quote

Don't forget the LarryG36 mod of Dremeling a bit off the plugs in order to get three sure fire or two AA batteries in the carbine tube.  IIRC, it only requires 3/8" of material removed to do this...
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:38:18 AM EDT
[#9]
VLTOR is also a tight fit. I think they will probably loosen up a bit as time goes on, all of my stocks that were once a snug, solid fit have eventually loosened somewhat. I havent had my VLTOR for long enough to say if or when it will, but I suspect over time and use it will.
View Quote

new-arguy is right, they do loosen a bit after a little use.  Mine did but is still rattle free and feels just as good as the day it arrived!
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys have ALMOST convinced me to get a Vltor for my M16 rifle. I have been seriously considering the Magpul, now I don't know...[;)]
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Well this thread [b]did[/b] finally convince me to order one.I hope you guys are right about this.My main concern is how floppy my Car and M4 stocks have been.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well this thread [b]did[/b] finally convince me to order one.I hope you guys are right about this.My main concern is how floppy my Car and M4 stocks have been.
View Quote

I have a Vltor, and to be honest, I didn't initially like it because it was SO tight!  But it has loosened up nicely and is just PERFECT!!!  No rattle, no wiggle, no nothing...
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#13]
If your main concern is floppy, then the choice is simple... There is no stock, I repeat, none, that is even capable of ever hoping to be as solid as the Magpul. It uses a completely new design that is as solid as a fixed stock. Simply by the nature of their design, no other stock is mechanically capable of being as solid as the Magpul.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top