Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2003 11:51:24 AM EDT
I want to order a light weight upper for varmint hunting and coyote calling. I've been looking at Model 1's light weight upper and I'm thinking of getting it with a flat top reciever, free floated hand gaurd and picatanny gas block. Any reason not to order one like this? I have a 20" chrome lined A2 upper so this one will strictly be a hunting rifle. Does the free float hand gaurd make a big difference in accuracy? will it look stupid with a free float hg and a light weight barrel? Is there a better place to get this combo? I plan on putting it on my Bushy lower and using bolt/carrier out if my 20" upper. Any advice would be appreciated-thanks, Duff.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#1]
As a cheap upper assembly, i would keep it basic.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#2]
basic as in.........?

Do you mean no free float hand gaurd? are they too cheap to mess with?
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#3]
basic as in no float tube.

Leave the front gas block site, as you won't see it in the optics anyway.
Get a ARMS flip up or a Swan Sleeve for your flat top as back-up to the optics you choose( or co-witness with a cheap red-dot).

I have that upper in a A2 config with a red-dot and a tac-light mounted on a canti-lever mount.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I would say go for it.  I feel that a free floated handguard makes a world of difference, especially when you plan to put a bipod or sling on it.  It takes all of the stress off of the barrel.  The regular FSB is fine, you won't see it in the field of view.  However, I don't think you need a back-up iron sight if this is strictly a hunting upper, I mean, if your scope fails, you probably won't be shooting 300yds with irons anyway.  I would say, put the extra $$ into the glass and mounting system.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Iron sights are not a concern for me on this upper. What about M&A, do they have a light weight barrel? or should I just stick with Model 1? I appreciate your respondses.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#6]
DPMS is selling a pencil barrel upper that is most likely better quality than any Mdl 1 Sales stuff. Still not chrome lined though.

The firest release was pre-ban only so you would have to put on a fake FH and mill off the lug.
They might be making a post-ban version by now. I would check.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a lightweight upper from M&A and like it very much. I put a Freefloat Hiperform tube on it also which is very nice.

It is accurate and reliable and I think it has an edge in quality over Model 1 because the front sights are forged. I believe Model 1 uses case front sight towers (this might have change recently).

Other than that, either one will do very nicely.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/047932.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Most likely a lightweight upper will shoot better than you do. It is that way for me. Chrome lining is fine but since you have an extra 30 seconds for cleaning and are not in a rice paddy the chrome lining is not mandatory.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top