Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2003 8:36:50 PM EDT
It's been a while since I've been here so I'm lacking current information. A pal of mine told me about an article in the Shotgun News(3 months back?) that featured an AR 15 upper that allowed the 'box' from the S.A.W to feed / or a 'free hanging' belt of ammo to feed. All this in a civilian legal package. He also stated that it was available as an upper receiver only, or a complete upper barrled assembled. Am I way off base here, or is there such a company out there? Please advise......

Thanks - jivem
[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.aresdefense.com/

Steve.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:36:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
And, know that many people have paid a $1400 downpayment on these well over a year ago and have had their delivery date pushed back 8 months so far...

-Troy
View Quote

Troy,

We paid a thousand each, not fourteen hundred.  [:)]

Shrike was featured in the latest History channel show called Bullets.  there was a five second segment of Mr Herring shooting one of the Shrike prototype.  Now I just need him to get the subcontractors straighten out and send me the upper.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 12:53:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Shrike was featured in the latest History channel show called Bullets.  there was a five second segment of Mr Herring shooting one of the Shrike prototype.  Now I just need him to get the subcontractors straighten out and send me the upper.
View Quote

Hey, I saw that show (and loved it). When that segment came on, I was wondering if that was a Shrike upper. Looked like a fun little LMG. (Patience, Chen and other deposit-throwers: As the saying goes, good things come to those who wait.) [:)]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Not a flame but is anyone here actually getting one for a semi?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a Shrike (if they prove to be reliable), but I don't have a M16 or LL/RDIAS so I don't see the point in spending the big dough for a belt fed semi.

Perhaps a Beta mag or two would be more appropriate if you really can't live with only 30rds.  But that's just my thoughts on the matter.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#7]
The Shrike is an appealing concept, be it semi (ie. belt = no mag changes) or FA. What isn't so appealing is the mishandling/mismanagement of subcontractor & QA production issues. Selling a product that isn't anywhere near production status is a bogus scheme. I hold to my previous statement that Ares owes Shrike depositors - among whom I am not a member - some quality "extras" along w/ the upper they put their down payment on.

I don't mean to add flame to a fire, but the firearms biz already has too many shady suppliers, mfg's, dealers, & others. This thing is actually a pretty exciting concept, but sunk "deals" have occurred in this biz. often enough to keep me wary of tossing $$$ at anything but a quality tested, available product made by an established, reputable mfg. Not to mention, the terms of the deal stink. Ares holds almost all the cards. Even a class-actions lawsuit, if possible, won't recover all the $$$ lost if this fails. I think Ares has some 'splaning & fence mending to do if the Shrike has any hopes of selling in [u]volume[/u]. Rare collector items w/ hard- or impossible-to-find parts, I don't need.

210-day delay my a$$!
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I would like to have the rail handguard as a thank you gift for the time we have patiently waited for the upper to arrive.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would like to have the rail handguard as a thank you gift for the time we have patiently waited for the upper to arrive.  
View Quote

You deserve it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks to all who replied. I can see now that the cost far exceeds what I'm willing to spend - especially for a semi-auto configuration. I love the design and idea of owning one, but I'll take the advice of HKocher and buy some Beta mags.....After the ban SUNSETS!!!

Thanks guys.
jivem
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:27:58 PM EDT
[#11]
FWIW I wasn't trying to talk you out of buying a Shrike.  Like I said, I'd like to have one myself, but don't see the need for one on a semi.

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there buying one for a semi.

Link Posted: 8/18/2003 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Trust me, we ain't getting crap for our patience except a "thank you" on their website or in email, which of course amounts to crap.  I doubt if we'll get it this year, they just keep delaying it because what are we gonna do? Ask for a refund and get our interests free loan back?
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Trust me, we ain't getting crap for our patience except a "thank you" on their website or in email, which of course amounts to crap.  I doubt if we'll get it this year, they just keep delaying it because what are we gonna do? Ask for a refund and get our interests free loan back?
View Quote

Wasn't there a price break for those that put the deposit down before a certain cut-off date?

Of course being the first also means you are the guinea pigs for this upper.  So not only do you help finance the project, but you get to play the 'will this damn thing run?' lottery.  I've always been taught to NOT buy the first year of any new model of car...

Of course I'm just jealous because I'm not getting one. [;)]

Yup, on second thought, you guys do deserve a free rail handguard or spare barrel (or both) for your troubles.  

Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#14]
In this case and at this point, the supposed advantage of "pre-ordering" doesn't exist for us.  Those of us that ponied up $1000 for it probably don't much care about the price break, it's been a year and I don't remember why I did it.  While $1000 isn't a lot of money and I can't put it to better use elsewhere, I'm still pissed these guys can't get it done.  When and if it's released we'll get it about the same time as those that didn't help fund their project.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top