Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2003 6:08:44 AM EDT
I'm definitely getting rid of my mini-y to get either the TacBrake or the Fake Flash Suppressor. The whole reson I can't stand the mini-y is because of the noise and blast, but I would like to have a brake that actually does something.

So how does the noise and blast of a TacBrake equipped rifle compare to:
1. A plain muzzle?
2. A real flash suppresson (A2, phantom, vortex, whatever)?
3. A mini-y (surely much less)?

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 6:20:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe you know this already, but Im going to say it in case you dont. Unless you have a preban rifle, you will not be able to get a flash suppressor on the gun without commiting a felony.

Having said that, Kurts brake is, IMHO, the hands down best looking brake on the market. It is not as loud as the Y-comp in the slightest, and is a very good brake in itself.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:35:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.

Yes, I'm familiar with the ban on evil flash suppressors.

I would imagine the fake flash suppressor I'm thinking of would have about the same signature as a plain muzzle, so that is one option.

I am primarily using the flash suppressor as sort of the de facto sound an AR15 should be making, not as loud as a mini-y, but louder than a plain muzzle. It is about the most blast and noise that wouldn't really bother me.

So that being said, does anyone etiher own both a (real) flash suppressor equipped rifle and a TacBreak equipped rifle, or have experience hearing both?

Edit: Or can someone with both a plain muzzled rifle and a TacBrake rifle make the same comparitson?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
--snip-- or have experience hearing both?
View Quote

I have been below and just to the side of the following, all back to back.

Mini-y brake
AK brake
Kurts brakes
Wilson brake
Armalite brake
Phantom FS
Vortex FS
A2 FS
Bare muzzle

The bare muzzle had the overall loudest tone.
The AK and Mini-y had the most side/rear directed sound.
The Armalite was next.

I could tell very little difference between Kurts and Wilsons brakes and the above mentioned FS's. The Brakes did have a slight bit more side impulse of course, but not a whole lot more than the FS.

The Vortex distributed and radiated the blast the most evenly and over a pretty large area, no doubt part of what makes it such an effective FS.

Personally, I find the whole noise thing in relation to brakes to be kinda pointless, but thats just me. As is a pet peeve with me, I just have to point out, brakes do not creat and sound. They simply redirect sound that the gun is already making. [;)]
Kurts brakes rule. I have them on both of my current rifles.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Ahh. Thank you for your comparison. I think I'll go  with the TacBrake, in that case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top