Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2003 11:14:29 AM EDT
I was curious how some of the bigger name barrels compare to one another quality wise... Colt, Bushmaster, RRA (DPMS?) and others...
I have a 16" colt on a colt M4 upper, and I am thinking of getting a second upper with a M4 14.5" barrel... I saw a nice sounding RRA M4 barrel on the equipment exchange, and was wondering how it stacks up quality wise... The Colt barrels are getting a little too expensive for my wallet....

Dave
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Well Dave, I'll try, since you lowered your standards to "anyone."

I believe that most of the parts suppliers like RRA, DPMS, the kit companies, as well as Bushmaster, Armalite etc. all use Wilson barrels.  I think that only OlyArms and Colt actually make their own.  

The only big feature difference is whether they come chrome-lined or not.  I believe Bushy and Colts are chromed, the rest aren't except by special order (tho I think RRA makes a M4 that's chromed.)

One might find Q/A checks could differ from one supplier to another and catch a quality problem here or there.  but I don't read many complaints about barrels around here.  

Except for high-end target barrels, there's prolly not much difference between 'em, again, mostly because they come from one source.

[Maybe some hot-head with an axe to grind will flame me on this and you'll get the [b]REAL[/b] answer!]

C_M
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#3]
A friend of mine Grant, built an SPR with a RRA stainless bbl. That thing shoots great.

I'm sure you could spend more, but do you need to?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:31:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Colt and Bushmaster use 4150 steel which is mil-spec.  All others are 4140 steel.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#5]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=3425[/img]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:54:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe someone could explain the difference, in relationship to bbl life and accuracy, in 4150 and 4140 steel?  Nevermind, I just saw this in a diff post here.  Difference it % carbon in bbl and does not make much if any difference in bbl quality, or so I read on the internet.....
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:11:48 AM EDT
[#7]
CMMG sells a DPMS 14.5" chrome bore and chamber M4 barrel made of 4150 steel. price i think was $225
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top