Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2003 10:41:01 PM EDT
This project started earlier this year and it's still not complete.  Does the madness ever end? I wanted to take my pre-ban Coal Valley vintage Eagle Arms CAR-15 HBAR and update it to a 21st century SHTF semi-auto M4 clone.

Goal: To build a M4 carbine using non-magnified optics that will be effective from 0-300 yards.  It must be modular, allow for future upgrades and have the capacity to mount different accessories as needed.  This carbine will be my "Go To" rifle so it must be ultra reliable and have a mil-spec 5.56 chamber and have a fully chromelined barrel.

Upper/barrel selection: This part was the most agonizing for me.  Originally I speced out a Bushmaster 16", 1/9 M4 upper.  I placed my initial order in mid march and prodeeded to wait 12 weeks!  In the end I ended up canceling my order because of the continued delays.  I'm actually glad I had that extra time while waiting to research barrels and ammo.  After reading up on the 77gr testing I came to the conclusion that what I really wanted was a 16" 1/7 barrel.  

I noticed that CMMG was selling a really nice DPMS pre-ban 16" M4A3 upper with a 4150 steel barrel.  This barrel also had 5.56 chamber was fully chromelined, had a 1/7" twist and had the M4 feed ramp cuts!  This barrel was just what I was looking for the 77gr ammo!

After asking around AR15.com and Assaultweb I found nothing but excellent reviews on this upper and barrel combo and no one had anything but great things to say about CMMG. I called CMMG to ask a few questions and found the people at CMMG to very friendly and easy to talk to.  After they answered all my questions I placed my order and was promptly surpirsed to see the upper arrive at my doorstep in 3 days!

I found the upper to very nice and well done.  The flat top receiver had a nice jet black color and the finish was done well.  The barrel was also nicely finished parkarized with a nice lighter shade of grey.  The fit to my lower was excellent and just like the original upper that came with it.

Optics:  I wanted a non-magnified red-dot style optics for this rifle.  That left only two real contenders, Aimpoint and EOTech.  After trying both and researching the ARFCOM archives I decided on the EOTECH 552 revision E.  The Aimpoint is still an excellent optic and it's battery life is unbeliveable compared to anything else out there but the EOTech just worked better for me.  It was faster and easier to shoot in CQB ranges and I found the 1MOA dot to be very precise for the longer range shooting than the larger Aimpoint dot.  IMHO the EOTech was better in everything besides battery life.

SIR #50: I originally started this project with a Knights M4 RAS in mind.  Then the ARMS SIR #50 came out which allowed for the EOTech co-witness with the BUIS.  It was also the new slim line model which was less bulky than the orignal while maintaning all it's advantages.  I found that the SIR #50 was not much more expensive than the RAS so I felt the little bit of extra money was well worth it for the advantages it provided.

ARMS #40 STD:  After selecting the SIR #50 it was only natural to also select an ARMS #40 BUIS.  IMHO the #40 is the best BUIS available at this time.  The #40 STD uses a full A2 small aperture instead of notched horizon cut in the original model.  I felt this to be just perfect for the the project goal of a 0-300 yard combat rifle.

AAC Foregrip: I also purchased a AAC vertical foregrip.  This is exactly like the Knights foregrip at half the price.  It was well made and very secure once intalled.  The vertical foregrip puts your off-hand in a stronger bio-mechanical position speeding up your gunhandling it also allows better rapid fire shot control and induces much less fatique when shooting off hand.

Future upgrades:  Oh the plans I still have for this rifle!  In the near future I will be purchasing a Vltor Carbine Modstock.  I'm also looking hard at the clubfoot version but I still have time to research this more.  

I will also be purchasing a Surefire M900A.  I was also looking at the M962SU6 but after holding a M900A I knew I had to have one!  

Lastly I'm also looking at the Tango Down Battle Grip.  It looks to have excellent
ergonomics and the waterproof battery storage is a plus!

Now for my favorite part pics and notes!!!

My new CMMG/CPMS upper arrives!

DPMS barrel markings, it's stamped .223 but it actually has a 5.56 chamber.

Receiver close up, notice the splintered A forge marking. It seems many of the top AR manufacturers are using Anchor Harvey forgings.

M4 feed ramp cuts!

Finishing up installing the ARMS #40 BUIS and SIR #50!

Top view of the SIR #50.

Sight picture through the ARMS #40 using the large aperture.

CLose up of the small aperture flipped up.

Front sight details, the SIR #50 fits close but does not touch the handguard cap.

The AAC vertical foregrip.

Almost done!  The AAC vertical forgrip is installed.

My new EOTech 552!  Is that purple I see???

Close up of EOTech controls.

Finally, it's all together!

Sight picture with the ARMS #40 folded.  

EOTech co-witness sight picture.  I was bit wobbly but I think you can still tell...

When I get some range time with this rifle I'll post an update.

That's all folks, I hope you enjoyed this post!

Edited to add - I just remebered Mr_Wilson just posted a range report with with results for different ammo that he ran through the same upper.  See link below.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=162330&w=searchPop

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Great post!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:47:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Dude, does it perform fellatio as well?  That thing has ever bell and whistle known to man!  Probably needs its own uhaul to get to the range!  Having said that, *whimper* I'm jealous!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:37:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, what a great post. It sounds like you are doing it the right way.

Show us pictures when you're completely done.

ls
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#4]
hey yojimbo
where did u get that butt plate on your stock
thanks
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:15:26 AM EDT
[#5]
SWEET!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Is that a preban toddler gate?  Nice rifle, the little one will like it!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#7]
YoJimbo,

Nice write up and the gun  looks great.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#8]
[comic book guy]
Best post ever!
[/comic book guy]

That's one awesome AR.

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks everyone for the nice comments! It was a fun project to do.  I'll definitely post updates as they happen.

HiramRanger,

If someone can invent a rail accessory that can perform fellatio they will become an instant millionaire! [;)]

gm2376,

I got the rubber butt plate at a local gun show for about $15. Unfortunately it has no manufacturer marking on it so I don't know who made it.  I do remember seeing them on a lot of older CAR 15 stocks.  Sorry I couldn't be more help.

BTW, I forgot to mention it earlier but other than the cost of the hardware to upgrade my rifle I will be getting Mrs. Yojimbo a new living room set![BD]

She was just such a good sport during my obssesive spending for this project that had to give her something.  I gotta keep the home morale up because after I'm done with this rifle it's M1A or SPR time!!! Heh, heh, heh...[}:D]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Ohhh Yeeaah! Thumbs up from me!
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#11]
[b]SCHWEET!!![/b]

[WOW]

that's almost exactly the upper I want to build except I'm leaning towards the Aimpoint

so the DPMS barrel is a 16" with a A2 FH ??
do you know if a 14.5" with vortex is available ?

the barrel extension has the M4 cuts & it looks like the upper receiver does too ?
What make is the upper receiver ???
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:19:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Beautiful.

I say scrap the plans for the "Battlegrip", and get a VLTOR telestock.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:31:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Congratulation!!! I'm so jealous!  [:P]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 8:39:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Very nice!  I wanted to let you know that I shot my latest project (which included the 14.5" version of the DPMS M4 upper) yesterday and it is now my favorite rifle!  The VLTOR carbine stock is awesome, you will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#15]
cnatra,

Yes, it's a 16" with the A2 flash hider.

I saw a 14.5" upper at CMMG's web site that had the permanently attached Vortex but it had the 1/9 barrel.  The uppers with the 1/7 had a permanent Phantom flash hider.  You might want to IM CMMG and ask if they can get the 14.5, 1/7 upper with the Vortex.

Yes both the barrel extension and upper have the M4 feed ramp cut.  The entire upper is made by DPMS as a special order for CMMG only.  You can't get this upper directly from DPMS.  

As I noted the upper has the Anchor Harvey splintered A forge marking and many of the other AR manufacturers are using them too.  I've also seen  Bushmaster and Diemaco uppers with this marking.

Later!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Great post, and damn good pics, too!

Uh........where'd ya get the AAC grip?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Zardoz,

I got the AAC fore grip  directly from them.  I phoned in the order and it came in a couple of days!  Great service and products!

Here's the link to their site. [url]http://www.advanced-armament.com[/url]

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#18]
This is by far the best post I have seen on this site. Sweet work.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Baloo,

Thanks but the credit should really go to AR15.com and the many knowledgable members and dealers here.

I would still be happily pumping away with my Mini 14[;)] and have a lot more money [BD] if it weren't for all the stuff I learned here.

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Is that as far back the AAC foregrip will go on your SIR?
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:03:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice Rifle!.............I can't tell you what to do next but the initials are N....F....A!!!

At least think about SBR'ing it since you have gone this far and done it so right.

[banana][banana][banana][banana][banana]                     [heavy]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#22]
girard,

No, I can position the bottom rail so that the foregrip will be right against the mag well if I wanted.

[img]http://a5.cpimg.com/image/FD/20/19991805-ccc1-02000180-.jpg[/img]

All I would have to do is unscrew the the bottom rail and flip it around.  ARMS also sells a #4 rail which is full length.

richinvegas,

Man, you're a bad influence!  I'm already itching for an AAC supressor.  [:E]

BTW, I'm now taking donations to turn this baby into a suppressed Class III firearm.  I take cash, check and all major credits cards...[;)]
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Here is a pic of a friends class 3 suppressed M4 that gets the shit beat out of it at every month's shoot!  Lotta fun!
[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/area51/DESERTM4A1.jpg[/img]

Here is some a video I made of April's shoot, there is one quick scene of it in action about 1/2 way through......
[url]http://www.autoglassparts.com/guns/video/dbs_shoot.wmv[/url]

Here is what us "poor" guys have to learn to  do.....Short clip of my out of the box $780 OLY M4gery.  You have inspired me to go shopping....thanks A LOT!!

[url]http://www.autoglassparts.com/guns/video/olybump.wmv[/url]

Thanks again for the report, great job!!

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Zardoz,

I got the AAC fore grip  directly from them.  I phoned in the order and it came in a couple of days!  Great service and products!

Here's the link to their site. [url]http://www.advanced-armament.com[/url]

View Quote
Thanks! That grip is exactly the type I want to put on my re-vamped carbine. You have saved me a good bit o' cash, bud!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Yojimbo.I would like to ask one more question.With the addition of the SIR and the EOtech placed forward, is there a felt weight and balance difference thats alot or a little.I am curious because your gun looks so good, i'm tempted, but if you also add a light my fear is it will be more front heavy than if you used,lets say a FF RAS or danielddefense,or something,which is kinda what i thought i was going to do,untill i saw your post.what are your thoughts on this,if you have time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:13:10 AM EDT
[#26]
girard,

There is a little weight felt at the front but IMHO the foregrip makes this rather unoticable.

The light I will be getting is the Surefire M900A and I don't think the light will add much felt weight at all.  

[img]http://www.san.surefire.com/surefire/content/m900a_full.jpg[/img]

When I handled a M900A it did not seem heavy at all to me.  I believe there are several other's(SMGLee and Treetop) here who have the SIR 50/EOTech/M900A combo.  Maybe they can answer this question in more detail.  In my case I don't see it as an issue.  As always, YMMV.  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:11:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Yojimbo just curious I have held a carbine with a S.I.R system mounted but didn't ask 'how much does it weigh ?'- By the way a great post !
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Hammerdrop,

I don't have an exact number I believe it's a tad shy of 8 lbs.  With the Surefire M900A and an a loaded mag it will probably be just a bit over 9 lbs.

Edited to add the official weight.

It's 7.8 lbs unloaded, 8.9 lb with USGI mag and 30 rounds of M855.  [lifter][;)]
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:35:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey Yojimbo,

Thats a great looking rifle.Did you give up on Shawn?Just interested?I remember you wanted the same barrel as I did.I was waiting since 11/02!!
I felt your pain.I also suggested to Shawn CMMG inc.I hope the message was relayed.It looks like someone got the message.I'll see you out there at the local ranges and say,"hey".
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Tungsten189,

No, I didn't give up on Shawn he still helped me out with some things. I pretty much decided I wanted a 16" 1/7 rifle and Bushmaster was never going to make one and I didn't want to pay the premium for a Colt upper so CMMG was the only game in town.  I first was a bit hesistant to go with the DPMS but I'm very glad I did.  

So, how long did take to get your barrel or are you still waiting on it?

See you around!

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Now if ARMS would only make an -M version of that #50. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm............
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#32]
COOL ASS RIFLE!
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I never thought much about doing something like this,BUT NOW,you have me Hooked,here goes some more Bucks on a New Toy.. (Hot lookin Rifle)!!
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#34]
That is one Sweet Rifle!  And your write up about it was awesome!

Amazing!
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#35]
yojimbo, where did you get the SIR#50...can't find it anywhere
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#36]

Thanks again all for the compliments!  I must repeat that I learned a lot from this site and the very knowledgeable people here.  I couldn't have done it with out them![:D]

Vinesr6,

I got my SIR 50 from EagleFirearms/Chris Rose on EE.  There's a lot of great dealers on EE so I would check there first and sk them.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 8/10/2003 4:59:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Bump to keep alive
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:33:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I notice your Eotech, like my old Bushnell Holosight, appears to be held on by two allen screws?  I though they used a single oversize thumb screw now???
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:44:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Nicely done my young Jedi!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top