Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 6:20:23 PM EDT
I remember a few months ago, around SHOT Show, when the URX came out that it was said KAC had 'proprietary equipment' for installing them.  That gave way to speculation that they might actually sell URX configured uppers to us unwashed civilian masses.  Maybe even preban and post ban versions!

I have since slept off the effects of the euphoria I felt at such news.  But silence has permeated the board since then.  Is there any word these days on what might happen and when?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#1]
KAC is concentrating on the SOPMOD upgrade.

The URX has undergone a few changes since the one I got to see last December, and then it changed to the one at SHOT...

When KAC does release it, it will be worth the wait..
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks KevinB!  I guess I'll just have to wait until next season...
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I would guess that a few months down the road, you will see the URX being offered as the standard on the SR-15 MATCH and SR-25 variants.

There as well is a possibility that KAC will release pre ban uppers in URX format...

However Coldblue is the best to ask on this subject, both he and Havoc are part of KAC and can more readily give realistic timeframes.

All I know is Dave and the rest are very busy trying to ensure that USASOC and the rest of the free world's militaries have the best kit they can.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#4]
So, uh...how long til a certain someone comes along and says "You could have the vastly superior SIR System right now". [:D]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#5]
He knows what I think of the SIR...
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you think of the SIR? Which is better (you've held the URX) the SIR or the URX or the RAS II?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been waiting for a KAC URX upper with the new bolt, barrel extension, Diemaco barrel and the new KAC gas block/flip up front sight.  

Wes, you hear me, do ya, do ya??  I need it, I want it, I got to laid my hands on it.  My precious.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#8]
SMG that my precious comment about had me rolling on the floor.

I think the SIR is great but I like my ACOG so I want a flattop unraped by add-on rails.

I really would like to see a current URX hit the market and let the chips fall where they may I'm sure it won't probabyl change too dramatically between now and when they let it out anyway.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Why is it a problem to put the ACOG on top of the SIR? It can't be that much worse than a Leupold on a PRI rail like the SPR??? There's got to be a low mount for the thing, maybe not quick-detach, but something that will stay locked down solid.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:20:51 AM EDT
[#11]
URX commercial rifles or part kits are all jammed up because of higher priority military/government work here at Knight's, i.e., the "war" has not stopped for us.
At least we are building them, along with the new folding front sight gas block and other new things shown at the Shot Show (SS).  I mean, what you saw at the SS was URX (one), now, before any are released commercially, we have URX-2, because of the need to make it interoperable with more GI equipment.  Unfortunately, this hurts our commercial busines big-time, disapoints customers, etc.
I have always believed that "a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush", so If I had a "project gun" I wanted complete in the next 6 months, I'd buy a rail that perhaps is my second choie, but at least was optainable.
There are obviously other alternative KAC rails that are actually "the real deal", such as FF RAS, M4 & 5 RAS, etc., KAC RAS II, as well as other companies, not obligated to military production contracts, whoose products are consequently more readily available.
ColdBlue sends...
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:57:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, a rail system is still 9-12 months down my list of priorities with my current budget, so no hurry here.

Any chance you might be able to expound on the changes to the URX 2 just to satisfy our curiousity?

Also, I realize it is mostly speculation at this point; but does KAC have any ideas how it plans to market these to the civilian market? Are they still looking at complete URX uppers only for awhile with tenative availability of the URX as a separate system? If KAC is still considering marketing pre-ban uppers as a whole unit first, it changes my priority list for purchasing.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#13]
"Why is it a problem to put the ACOG on top of the SIR? It can't be that much worse than a Leupold on a PRI rail like the SPR??? "

I thought the change in cheek weld was dramatic but I have no SPR experience.- and BUIS is not useable with add on cheek pads and I like my E-stock cheek weld so I got rid of the SIR and got the RAS II (I would have gotten URX but of course it is unavailible and deer season is right at 6 months right now and I have to rule out the URX -- I might change to the Mid-length FF RAS to get some more real estate to mount my bi-pod on- the bi-pod on the RAS II with foregrip is just way to cramped.)

I can shot a lot faster with the ACOG when my cheek is welded to the stock as opposed to when I am resting my chin on the stock.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone have a picture of the urx?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#15]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=7102[/img]

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Kevin,

That would be the mid length URX??  It is the set up I am seeking.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#17]
The pic is one I took a SS this year on a midlength URX SR15 Postban Carbine

More and more are going to just into the 16" midlength - especially with the proliferation of the 77gr Nolser Mk262 Mod1

One of the best things is no NFA garbage, which I always found agrivating when bringing uppers down to the US for matches was the necessity to borrow a Gov't or NFA lower to put our carbine uppers on (and you got stuck with a 3rd burst trigger [puke] on the gov't guns...)
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#18]
coldblue, thanks for the update!  Have no worries for I can wait.  Other projects in the fire at present but a midlength preban URX upper like SMGlee described for my purple Bushie is MANDATORY [;)]...

KevinB, what's with the flathead screws on the KAC BUIS?  Is that standard fare?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#19]
YES it is standard.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#20]
We have not made any "URX marketing" decisions, that is just one of many meetings we have noit have time for.
As for URX-2 changes, that is competition sensitive" right now.  However, it would look pretty much the same to you in a picture.  Most changes had to do with improving the interface with the current M203.
The clamp screws we use on the iron sights and some othe rMWS accessories are a special pan-head screw with a flat-blade screwdriver slot wide enough to use a coin to turn.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:12:05 AM EDT
[#21]
And for me, it's easier to turn the flathead than a hex while out and about. Awwwww simplicity.

Col. thnks for stopping by. Began to miss your posts. Don't forget about us here when/if things slow down. Thanks.....Chad
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:01:28 AM EDT
[#22]
coldblue - ditto to CRS188
- it is always a pleasure when you stop by to add illumination.

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 1:01:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Coldblue...

Any plans on offering a chrome lined 1/7 midlength URX upper?

You'd make my year [:D]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Lumpy thats what I'd like to see too.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#25]
There are obviously other alternative KAC rails that are actually "the real deal", such as FF RAS, M4 & 5 RAS, etc., KAC RAS II, as well as other companies, not obligated to military production contracts, whoose products are consequently more readily available.
ColdBlue sends...
View Quote
Any news on when FF RAS will be available for retrofit on my SR25?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:32:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Is there going to be a rifle length version of the URX?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 5:28:52 AM EDT
[#27]
I think hundreds of us are waiting for this FF RAS to retrofit our SR25 , sincerely I doubt KAC'll let us have it soon , coldblue ?

PP out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top