Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2003 8:01:26 PM EDT
MY son's Colt A2 HBAR fast twist needs a long range scope for shooting heavy match loads.

If we place a scope as low as possible (say a Leupold Police tactical 3x9) on the top of the carry handle will we need a cheek-piece added to the rifle or can the rifle be shot well without the added cheekpiece?

Or should we ditch the A2 receiver and get a flat top instead?

I put this on both this forum and the optics forum.  Is there a forum for long range shooters where I might get specific information?

Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You'll want to get a flattop and probably the Armalite one-piece scope mount, which is available for 1" and 30mm scope tubes.  Mounting a scope on the carry handle moves it much too far above the boreline, which causes many other problems besides the cheek-weld issue.

-Troy
View Quote

I agree, and get a good scope, They make a big difference. I went from a $100.00 Taso to a $800 Leupold, WoW what a difference. You don't need to spend that much, but spend at least $250 to $350 on a scope. The B&L Elite's, Leupold Vari XII and IV's are nice too, also the Nikons, Burris are nice. I havent seen a Simmons I'd own . the Tasco Super Sniper are pretty good, The IOR Valdada's were a better bargins 3 yrs ago but the prices ahve really risen. The new generation of Sprinfild Armory's are bright and clear, But the are just so big the are almost impractical. One of the best scopes ever made was the Baush and Lomb Tactical 10x40mm 4200 Elite. Superb. I had one in the mid 90's and sold it when funds got low. DUMUMIE,, DUMMIE, DUMMIE!!!!. Anyway watch the sale board at snipercountry.com and ebay, Good glass show up there frequently.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#3]
You can go with a flat-top and the one piece ring/mount, or better yet get a riser and some good rings. I am putting Bushmaster's 2 piece risers on mine with Burris Signature rings. Haven't decided on glass yet, but the Burris with the balistic plex is in the lead price wise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top