Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2003 6:24:38 PM EDT
I've been enjoying this site for several months now.  I finally got the courage up to get an account and ask for some great advice!

I'm looking for an uppper to use for general target shooting, prairie dogs and fox/coyotes.  I was pretty set on a Fulton Armory upper, but word around here seems to be Bushmaster.  Could anyone list some good quality uppers that meet my requirements?  The only Bushmaster that meets these (that I know of) is the v-match.

Here are my requirements:

free-floated handguard
flattop (A3)
no front site
HBAR (no bull barrels)

Link Posted: 1/8/2003 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You have lots of choices. the Colt 6601/6700 uppers are good and can be found used.  Armalite and RRA offer good choices too.  Personnally I roll my now and for others too.  The heart of the AR accuracy is the tube you pick.  I use a lot of Harris bull BBLs in 416 Stainless. You can have them cut down to something lighter if you would like.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 2:23:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I purchased an upper from Bushmaster over the holidays.  I highly recommend them for excellent customer service and very high quality.  I have a fluted 16" barrel on mine which I love. Chromed HBAR barrel with 20% less weight.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 3:05:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Bushmaster offers the Varminter upper but I think it's a little much for a general purpose rifle.

I'd get the 20" V-Match and gor an extra $50.00 you can get it flutted.

Rambosky
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 3:59:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had a Bushy Varminter for about a year and 1 1/2 and love it. It is heavy and not a good gun for yotes if you are moving alot. It does shoot awesome groups and I use it mainly for turf pigs. If you are just going to set up and work on a prarie dog town or rid a field of ground squirrels it would be a good choice in .223. For calling, with alot of moving and setting up I prefer a 16 or 20" bbl and minimum weight. Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you to all who replied.  I will have to look closer at the Armalites.

I was hoping to draw more opinions on the Fulton Armory line...anyone have any experience with them?

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#6]
A couple of thoughts...

Head over to the Maryland AR-15 site and look at the recommendations page. Good solid advice for buying an AR. Then I'd head over to the industry forums on this site and ask Fulton Armory, Armalite, and others what they would recommend based on your needs. They all have forums over there, and most will "build to suit" the upper of your choice.

I'd be tempted to go with a 20" HBAR flat-top. I'd have the barrel fluted. I'd have a fold down front sight, (since you said you didn't want one,) and a fold down rear sight, or just use a removable carry handle. Then you could take off the scope and use the rifle with iron sights for plinking, self defence or whatever.

The flat top receiver gives you lots of options. Be sure you know what you want before you buy. Otherwise you'll end up like the rest of us with a safe full of AR's in different configurations.

Oh, and welcome to the boards.

Edited to add -
Bushmaster will put their Varmit free float tube or their V-Match tube on any of their uppers. And the Maryland AR site is at
www.md-ar15.com
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Lancelot Im sure its a hard cross to bear having a safe full of ARs in different configurations.. I pitty you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Fulton will give you more of custom/attention if that is what you might wish to have, opposed to large non custom production runs.They will also test it out for accuracy even with an optic you choose, the others don't that I'm aware of.
Good Shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm very satisfied with my Fulton AR and will also be buying a flat top upper from them in the near future. I use mine for deer and hogs. Good folks to deal with...
Good luck, Jack
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 6:38:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lancelot Im sure its a hard cross to bear having a safe full of ARs in different configurations.. I pitty you.
View Quote

Don't do that. You probably have money for groceries...[rofl]
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd look seriously at a 16" V-Match too.  Same accuracy, only a little less velocity (4%), and quite a bit lighter.
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I have both a Bushy 16" HBAR fluted and a Fulton M4gery upper.  I was a little disappointed that the Fulton barrel wasn't chrome lined, but it is accurate and the folks at Fulton are fine to deal with.  I would stick with a chrome lined barrel for a general purpose rifle.  I've had good service with Bushmaster also - no complaints at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top