Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2003 2:17:45 PM EDT
I have run across a "Pre-Ban" Gun.  I need some help on identifing the lower.  

I was told that it was a kit gun that was made into a complete firearm before the ban.

The lower has a gray finish.
The markings are something that i have not seen before.

E.A. CO.
KR.SPR.LA

Model J15
E.A. 28xxx

Any help would be apericated.
Batchman  
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
It is an Essential Arms lower. They are no longer in business. Even though the lower was made before the ban, it might still pay to have the person that built it before the ban document it in some way, *if that is possible*. At least that is what I would do. That is your decision, let your conscience be your guide. Even though it is a pre ban, EA lowers do not command the price that others like Armalite, Eagle Arms, Olympic, Colt and Bushmaster get. Most EA rifles can be had relatively cheaply compared to the others. If I am not mistaken, EA lowers are cast as opposed to being forged. To see what the difference is, you can look through the archives on this site, there should be info. there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It is an Essential Arms lower. They are no longer in business. Even though the lower was made before the ban, it might still pay to have the person that built it before the ban document it in some way, *if that is possible*. At least that is what I would do. If I am not mistaken, EA lowers are cast as opposed to being forged.  
View Quote

It will take some pondering as to what i will do with this gun.  Being that it is a Cast lower I may pass.  I just do not know.  There is no way to get documentation.  This firearm has passed through a few hands.

Thanks  Again
Batchman
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one. It's cast, and they are one [X] of the high end ones. It was rumored Ruger investment cast them for EA. If I remember right, they were just about if not all made before sept. 14 1994, so it shouldn't be too hard to class as a preban.

[X]_
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Correction on my last post, I meant it would be difficult to class as a post ban. Look it up on the net, I saw serial number lists and dates of manufacture for tham, but can't remember the site. Remember, the lower is a fairly low stress part, and those were good castings. Mine's had good use for over 15 years and held up as good as a forged (although I prefer forged) Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:12:59 PM EDT
[#5]
There is another thread about cast lowers[URL=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=146947] here[/URL] that may be of interest to you. Judging by the part of the serial number you posted I estimate late 1989 or early 1990 production. Let me know if you need a specific date.  Essential Arms went OOB at the end of 1993, bought by DPMS. Check [URL=http://old.ar15.com/legal/serialNumberList.asp]this one[/URL] and[URL=http://www.swiretech.com/ar15_serials.asp#Essential]this one[/URL]
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Rabid

BH1

Thanks for the information.

I will keep this and do some more investigation.

I will keep you posted

Batchman
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top