Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2003 8:17:56 AM EDT
I have a short heavy barrel upper that I want to verify barrel length on.  I would assume the measurement is the actual rifled barrel.  Just want to be sure.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Alphabet boys measure from a closed bolt (on empty chamber) to the end of barrel (minus length of FS or MB) ya can use your Dewey cleaning rod, small dowel or a straightened cost hanger, mark it, remove and measure.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Mike!  Looks like I have an 11.5" heavy barrel.  I just received an Bushmaster fluted 16" A3 upper.  Now I have a convertible!
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#3]
That measurement standard has always bothered me as it includes the chamber.....which IMHO is not the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That measurement standard has always bothered me as it includes the chamber.....which IMHO is not the barrel.
View Quote

When was the last time ya saw a rifle barrel without it being "chambered" on one end? Believe the chamber is considered part of the "barrel" as this is how it's always been done. (there are exceptions, but most I believe are pistols, ie... a revolver has the chamber seperate from the barrel, but in most cases, rifle barrels include the chamber)

Mike
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#5]
What do you mean "minus length of FS or MB"?  I thought that a permanently mounted MB or other device counted toward barrel length.  What about the 14" Bushmaster barrel with the AK break?  Or an 11.5" barrel with a 5.5" FS or MB?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 10:15:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, that should have read (minus length of "NON-PERMANENT" FS or MB). You are correct, as permanently installed devices DO count toward barrel length.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry Mr. Wilson but the revolver example makes my point.

The BARREL is the part the BULLET travels down..

the chamber holds the cartidge....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top