Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2002 7:04:44 PM EDT
Chambered in 5.45x39... anyone have one?  What do you think?  Where did you get it?  How much?
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Try here first: [url]www.alexanderarms.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#2]
No prices listed, anyone with an FFL who can look that up for me?  I also only want an upper for my preban lower, don't want a whole rifle.

Anyone else building uppers in this calibre?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I called the company last year and the gentleman I spoke with stated that a complete upper will cost, IIRC, between $500-600.  There was somebody selling one in EE a few months ago.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 6:39:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess the .21 Genghis isn't going to make it.

TS
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I love mine...  what a great concept.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#6]
i'm happy with mine.  its frustrating trying to find mags that work with it (of course, i've only tested mags that wouldn't work reliably in .223!!!), but ammo is cheap, its a cool caliber, and it feels better than an AK74 (although i'll probably have to get one of those too!).
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Gents - Sorry to bump into your post, but I am interested in a POST-BAN upper as well.  Where the hell does one find these for sale at?

Thanks!  -William
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine is a postban upper, thinking of having the barrel threaded for a flash hider.  Not the best pic, but here is mine alongside its cousin Krink...

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=5832[/img]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#9]
HIRAM-RANGER - Very nice.  What about cutting the barrel down to 14.5" and putting on a muzzle brake?  Affect bullet performance too badly?

STILL-  Where does one find an upper for this .21 GENGHIS?  

Thnaks!          -William
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I can't find the damn link but an FFL here in Virginia has them:

Len Fagan.....if someone has the link to his site.  That would be great.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I got mine on the EE, other than that, the only source I know is from Alexander Arms directly.

As far as a 14.5 inch barrel, I don't know what the effect would be on performance.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:07:58 AM EDT
[#12]
[url]http://www.alexanderarms.com/genghis.html[/url]

I shot factory rep Russ' Genghis at BFest, very nice! (upper quoted about $575 as I recall) I know they run fine at 25 rnds in a USGI 30rnd mag, but I would like to know how they feed with cheapo USA mags to offset the cost difference with the 223 uppers.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#13]
OK  well I sent an Email to the company, and hope to hear from them next week.

HIRAM- I will try to track down that fellow and contact him.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#14]
if it helps they come with a cheapo 10 round USA mag that i used twice without problems...still digging thru my USGI's to find reliable feeding though...this gun will never be a self-defense/SHTF gun, EVER, but it is fun and cheap to shoot on the range.
i paid $500 new for my upper.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know why you wouldn't trust this gun.  The upper is solid, I have had zero problems with mine.  Stick to 25 rounds in a 30 round usgi mag and its perfect.  Love it...
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#16]
OK, well I got a hold of a local FFL and he is selling one with a postban Olympic lower with ACE stock (long one) for $924.00. ($$!!)

I am talking to another NEW FFL holder who is contacting Alexander Arms on my behalf to see about ordering one.  

So, hopefully within a couple weeks...
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#17]
actually i usually only load 20 rounds per USGI 30.   in response to "i don't know why you wouldn't trust this gun" its because mine doesn't feed reliably!  like i said, i haven't designated any "good" mags that i'm willing to set aside for 5.45 but i've got some new USGI on the way and i'll find out for sure....despite the problems i have had (which are not chronic but occasional enough to notice) i'm happy with the Genghis...the workmanship is solid.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#18]
All my mags have the black followers.  I am about to put green followers in all my mags, anyone know if this will affect performance?  If so I'll leave some with the black followers just for Genghis play.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 3:51:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Hiram,
  Glad to see the upper is working well. Have you had a chance to do any accuracy testing? I never had the chance. I'm curious what 5.45 can do through a good barrel.

VSP
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 4:01:15 AM EDT
[#20]
No, not any good bolt it into a vise and pattern accuracy testing... maybe in the coming weeks.  I ran through a couple hundred rounds in sub zero temperatures and it didn't hiccup, I was impressed.

Tell you, I've made some good trades on this board VSP.  But my Bushy upper for your Genghis... well that just might be the best one ever!
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
All my mags have the black followers.  I am about to put green followers in all my mags, anyone know if this will affect performance?  If so I'll leave some with the black followers just for Genghis play.
View Quote

Rep told me they need black followers due to the tilt/stacking the fat tapered 5.45.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top